Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Holden Commodore Returning to the US as 2014 Chevrolet Super Sport V8, RWD Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 06:28 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 88blackgt
G8 was dead before Pontiac. The only way it sold was to offer huge incentives. When sales peaked the incentives were over $5000. Both were complete sales flops.
Maybe true, but man it has helped us that do own one. I got a 08 that stickered for 32k for 27k. I now owe 17k on it and trade in value is 23k retail 25k. So yeah, I'm kinda happy it happened that way so is everyone else that owns one, I'm sure.
Tate
Old 05-23-2012, 07:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

sumbitch i want one BAD.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Compg
Maybe true, but man it has helped us that do own one. I got a 08 that stickered for 32k for 27k. I now owe 17k on it and trade in value is 23k retail 25k. So yeah, I'm kinda happy it happened that way so is everyone else that owns one, I'm sure.
Tate
They're great cars no doubt. The American buying public has rejected the commodore twice now for whatever reason, and continually bringing the car to market is starting to look foolish from a business perspective. Hopefully things will be different this time around.
Old 05-23-2012, 11:44 AM
TECH Veteran

They're great cars no doubt. The American buying public has rejected the commodore twice now for whatever reason, and continually bringing the car to market is starting to look foolish from a business perspective. Hopefully things will be different this time around.
The Commodore was sold here once before as the Pontiac G8, it did not recieve huge manufacturer incentives. It was not sold here twice.

It also landed during an economic crisis when the entire industry wasn't selling cars. Many dealers firesaled them after Pontiac was discontinued and they lost their franchise agreements. Considering the times it sold quite well and much better than the prior Holden import. Being an exceptional car and the last muscle/performance car Pontiac sold has resulted in many G8 owners having equity in their cars. There aren't too many vehicles made like that.

The Monaro was sold here as the Pontiac GTO years priors and that car did recieve up to $7,000 off direct from GM to customers.
Old 05-23-2012, 12:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TriShield
The Commodore was sold here once before as the Pontiac G8, it did not recieve huge manufacturer incentives. It was not sold here twice.

It also landed during an economic crisis when the entire industry wasn't selling cars. Many dealers firesaled them after Pontiac was discontinued and they lost their franchise agreements. Considering the times it sold quite well and much better than the prior Holden import. Being an exceptional car and the last muscle/performance car Pontiac sold has resulted in many G8 owners having equity in their cars. There aren't too many vehicles made like that.

The Monaro was sold here as the Pontiac GTO years priors and that car did recieve up to $7,000 off direct from GM to customers.
My mistake on the monaro

You can look at the sales figures with rose colored glasses but after a couple good months after being released they weren't selling. There was a large unsold inventory going into the Pontiac sale, period. In addition incentives on the G8 were greater than those for other models during the fire sale.

Blame what you want, they didn't sell until the price was dropped several thousand below msrp.
Old 05-23-2012, 01:05 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a feeling that the Gen V engine will be debuted in the SS.
Old 05-23-2012, 02:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

My mistake on the monaro

You can look at the sales figures with rose colored glasses but after a couple good months after being released they weren't selling. There was a large unsold inventory going into the Pontiac sale, period. In addition incentives on the G8 were greater than those for other models during the fire sale.

Blame what you want, they didn't sell until the price was dropped several thousand below msrp.
I can't think of any vehicle on the planet, good or bad, that would sell for **** when the consumers know the company is going under. Even though GM covers Pontiac, the Pontiac name being discontinued was a pretty big deterrent on the sales. Same issue with all Saturn vehicles.

Originally Posted by texas94z
GM will debut the new Gen V engine in a flagship car (Vette), not this. Vette will go Gen V first, followed by this car, Camaro, and CTS-V.
Old 05-23-2012, 02:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by texas94z
I was thinking the Corvette would get first dibs myself. Then trickle down to the Camaro, CTS-V and this new "SS" that is emerging into the market.

Edit: Damn you Fury!! Beat me to it...lol.
Old 05-23-2012, 04:36 PM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Z Fury
GM will debut the new Gen V engine in a flagship car (Vette), not this. Vette will go Gen V first
Originally Posted by Pipelayaz
I was thinking the Corvette would get first dibs myself.
I agree.
The 2014 Corvette will likely be the very first vehicle to receive the new (Direct Injection, VVT?) V8.
We should know more about it by January (or sooner).
Old 05-23-2012, 10:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I can't think of any vehicle on the planet, good or bad, that would sell for **** when the consumers know the company is going under. Even though GM covers Pontiac, the Pontiac name being discontinued was a pretty big deterrent on the sales. Same issue with all Saturn vehicles.
You were so far off my point its not even funny
Old 05-24-2012, 06:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If they offer it as a performance model only it will fail period. I would like to see them have multiple trim models much like the G8 but with better looks and cheaper price. I know it's asking alot but with so many well built sedans in the class that it will fall into they can't screw up like most feel they did when they brought back the attractive yet some what under performing f-body.
Old 05-24-2012, 12:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by firebird99
they can't screw up like most feel they did when they brought back the attractive yet some what under performing f-body.
You can say what you like about the 5th Gen. A sales failure it is not.
Old 05-24-2012, 03:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

You were so far off my point its not even funny
You said G8 sales were horrible because the car sucked and no one liked it. I say the car was fine but suffered due to Pontiac being discontinued. I don't see how that is off the point, but whatever...

Originally Posted by firebird99
If they offer it as a performance model only it will fail period. I would like to see them have multiple trim models much like the G8 but with better looks and cheaper price. I know it's asking alot but with so many well built sedans in the class that it will fall into they can't screw up like most feel they did when they brought back the attractive yet some what under performing f-body.
The concern with too many trim levels is that it throws this car into a pretty packed sedan lineup for GM/Chevy. In V6 trim, it will be in direct competition with the Impala, which already suffers a bit from buyers preferring the redesigned Malibu to it.

Last edited by Z Fury; 05-24-2012 at 03:10 PM.
Old 05-24-2012, 03:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You said G8 sales were horrible because the car sucked and no one liked it. I say the car was fine but suffered due to Pontiac being discontinued. I don't see how that is off the point, but whatever...

The concern with too many trim levels is that it throws this car into a pretty packed sedan lineup for GM/Chevy. In V6 trim, it will be in direct competition with the Impala, which already suffers a bit from buyers preferring the redesigned Malibu to it.
I dare you to quote where I said it didn't sell because it sucked. Please do I'll admit I was wrong. I think I actually said the opposite.

You the point because what I was saying was it wasn't selling well even before Pontiac was known to be done. Reading comp, maybe you should take a class
Old 05-24-2012, 03:53 PM
TECH Veteran

My mistake on the monaro

They still moved 40k cars in two years, which is not a piddling amount.

Half the point of offering the car through Chevrolet is to take up Holden's excess capacity which is said to be about 10k units per year.

Between the Caprice and Super Sport that should make Holden pretty efficient and saves them and GM money.

For better or worse, GM is bringing the car to market again. It will find an audience which will likely be larger than the audience the CTS-V finds.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SSCamaro99_3
You can say what you like about the 5th Gen. A sales failure it is not.
I in no way meant I didn't like the 5th gen I love it I just can't afford one due to being unemployed so I deal with my 99. I'm a big dude and when I first sat in one I fell in love and I don't care about blind spots it's a sports car that swallows a big dude with ease and is way more comfortable then a 4th gen. I hope they continue to sell like hot cakes so more used models will pop so when I get the flow I can pick one up cheap but they seem to be holding there value. My only complaint is that I wish a RS model had the choice between a v6 or a 5.3 so you could get a cheap v8 and help set the SS model apart. I would rather see GM focus more on a lighter chassis then more power and let me bolt on what I want.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

I dare you to quote where I said it didn't sell because it sucked. Please do I'll admit I was wrong. I think I actually said the opposite.
You did say the car was good, so I retract the first part of my comment, but I stand behind my second. I still believe the car did not sell because the buying public was well aware that GM was ditching Pontiac. You claim it is because people just didn't like the car. I disagree for the reason listed, and you don't seem to think that my point is valid. Again, whatever.

You the point because what I was saying was it wasn't selling well even before Pontiac was known to be done. Reading comp, maybe you should take a class
I wouldn't be so quick to throw stones, captain grammar.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:02 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by TriShield
They still moved 40k cars in two years, which is not a piddling amount.
True, and while the G8 V6s and even the GTs might've been discounted by some dealerships, the GXP models NEVER were. From what I remember they sold every single one of those rather quickly and almost all at or near MSRP.
Old 05-25-2012, 11:27 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I hope it's as popular as the 94-96 Impala SS cars were. Pontiac G8 was a bit ill fated with the demise of Pontiac. But I think that the G8 in a Chevrolet format marketed correctly as the second coming of the popular B-body Impala SS would have done well. The Camaro has done well, so people aren't anti RWD as many would make you think. I considered a G8 GT versus a full size trick in 2008, ended up with the Sierra but all the reviews on the G8 I read were really positive. Every time I see a clean Impala SS at a car show, I am reminded how cool those cars were back in the day, I think a new one could do really well. I know I would replace my Sierra with one.
Old 05-25-2012, 11:59 AM
TECH Veteran

Here's the current HSV performance center in 2010, similar to what the new SRT8 cars have. It's a good chance the Super Sport will have this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLmLhHnkaQw

Quick Reply: Holden Commodore Returning to the US as 2014 Chevrolet Super Sport V8, RWD Sedan