Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Automobile Mag: '12 ZL1 tops the '13 GT500, Part 1 of 3

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 04:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Theblacknightls1
Gt 500 1:45:21 vs zl1 1:44:53 wow....
Haha .7 on a course over 2 miles long! The way people are talking I expected seconds not tenths.

1/4 mile - GT500 by .5
2.14 mile - ZL1 by .7

I don't think that's anything for the ZL1 to boast about. You would think those numbers would make the GT500 the better all around car people keep using as an excuse, especially given a higher top speed and better fuel mileage...
Old 06-19-2012, 04:34 PM
10 Second Club

Received 465 Likes on 364 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by 88blackgt
Haha .7 on a course over 2 miles long! The way people are talking I expected seconds not tenths.

1/4 mile - GT500 by .5
2.14 mile - ZL1 by .7

I don't think that's anything for the ZL1 to boast about. You would think those numbers would make the GT500 the better all around car people keep using as an excuse, especially given a higher top speed and better fuel mileage...
That's a pretty good margin for a car down 80hp and weighs 300lb more. If you actually read the article the author said he kept missing 3rd gear and would've probably picked up .5 getting through the gears cleanly.
Old 06-19-2012, 04:41 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 88blackgt

1/4 mile - GT500 by .5
2.14 mile - ZL1 by .7

From the article-

"I wanted the ZL1 to win"

I'm waiting for more reviews before I believe the ZL1 was actually the faster car around the track that day. Besides that, the 0.7 gap on a two mile track is almost nothing. It certainly isn't enough for the ZL1 to be considered the better overall car as that's close enough to call a tie in my book, while there is no question the GT500 spanks the ZL1 in a straight line.
Old 06-19-2012, 04:50 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
yes,GM should be embarrassed.

they made an all purpose pony car.
lmao.
Old 06-19-2012, 04:51 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by gocartone
From the article-

I'm waiting for more reviews before I believe the ZL1 was actually the faster car around the track that day. Besides that, the 0.7 gap on a two mile track is almost nothing. It certainly isn't enough for the ZL1 to be considered the better overall car as that's close enough to call a tie in my book, while there is no question the GT500 spanks the ZL1 in a straight line.
I just read that. WTF. The entire article just went south for me. Why wasnt this omitted? It would appear there was bias in this one.
Old 06-19-2012, 04:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From the article-

It's pretty damn close and yeah I'm sure it's going to be harder to control a lighter car with more power around the curves but it handles good enough at the track and will be great for the streets. In the real world I don't see the zl1 leaving the gt500 behind on the streets or the local drag strip but racing up and down the mountains maybe.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:12 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by evolve
I just read that. WTF. The entire article just went south for me. Why wasnt this omitted? It would appear there was bias in this one.
I know, I could easily see someone pushing a car they like more than the one they hate as that really seems how it was in this article. I don't understand how what was basically a tie was "no contest" and how the ZL1's "handling capabilities far exceed the straight-line advantage owned by the Shelby" when the cars are neck and neck around a track with the GT500 having a huge advantage on the anything that's straight.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:14 PM
Teching In

I know, I could easily see someone pushing a car they like more than the one they hate as that really seems how it was in this article. I don't understand how what was basically a tie was "no contest" and how the ZL1's "handling capabilities far exceed the straight-line advantage owned by the Shelby" when the cars are neck and neck around a track with the GT500 having a huge advantage on the anything that's straight.
This. Seconds= big victory. Less than a second??? The driver could have lifted in order to fart and lost that .7/10 of a second lol. I do like the MRC, but the weight of that car kills it for me.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Huh....the ZL1 wins again and some of you pick it apart with your what if's or it didn't win by enough how sad. The article clearly said the GT500 was a rolling pig yet you still say the .70 could have been a driver error ok then I guess he could made the same mistake on the ZL1 on top off the fact he kept missing a gear but because he was hoping the underdog would win it makes him biased yet again sad. It's simple the GT500 is a better quarter mile car and the ZL1 is the better track day/auto cross car yet both do well in the both categories but each one has it's strong points.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:42 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by firebird99
Huh....the ZL1 wins again and some of you pick it apart with your what if's or it didn't win by enough how sad. The article clearly said the GT500 was a rolling pig yet you still say the .70 could have been a driver error ok then I guess he could made the same mistake on the ZL1 on top off the fact he kept missing a gear but because he was hoping the underdog would win it makes him biased yet again sad. It's simple the GT500 is a better quarter mile car and the ZL1 is the better track day/auto cross car yet both do well in the both categories but each one has it's strong points.
I dont disagree at all. The ZL1 was built for the track, wasnt it? The GT500 is a strip car that can be tracked. Both cars are built to do different things. This win was expected, but I will ask this: why on earth would the article publish the drivers preference during the test?
Old 06-19-2012, 06:59 PM
TECH Resident

i wonder if that's why they showed the shelby kicking the tail out........
Old 06-19-2012, 07:00 PM
TECH Resident

my gt's not a rolling pig. i highly doubt the shelby is.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

lmao.
i agree it is funny.

a zl1 is no slouch and gets credit for what it does better and it still gets picked apart unnecessarily.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I dont disagree at all. The ZL1 was built for the track, wasnt it? The GT500 is a strip car that can be tracked. Both cars are built to do different things. This win was expected, but I will ask this: why on earth would the article publish the drivers preference during the test?
Yeah some would view it as biased but I think it's more of a David vs. Goliath and peolpe like to see the under dog win but for people that truly think it'll make them drive the car harder just so it could win is sad.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:31 PM
TECH Resident

Would you say the ZR1 or the Z06 is the better handling car?
Old 06-19-2012, 08:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Would you say the ZR1 or the Z06 is the better handling car?
What is you point? Instead of beating around the bush just come out and say it!!!!
Old 06-20-2012, 12:33 AM
On The Tree

suddenly it's all about corner craving and auto crosing huh!
Old 06-20-2012, 12:45 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by proxemics
suddenly it's all about corner craving and auto crosing huh!
"The Trans-Am Series is an automobile racing series which was created in 1966 by Sports Car Club of America (SCCA) President John Bishop. Originally known as the Trans-American Sedan Championship it has evolved over time from its original format as a manufacturers championship for modified racing sedans to its current form as a drivers championship open to GT style cars."

"The series was formed at the dawn of the pony car era and was derived from the SCCA's A & B Sedan amateur Club Racing classes,[1] based upon commercially produced cars which had been modified for racing competition. The series was best known for competition among American V8 sedans such as the Ford Mustang, Chevrolet Camaro, Plymouth Barracuda, Mercury Cougar, AMC Javelin, Pontiac Firebird, and Dodge Challenger in the 1960s and early 1970s."

I dont think it was always about straight line performance hence "GT500"Carol Shelby was a road racer and started out road racing GT350s which later gave birth to the GT500. Road racing is how Carrol Shelby made his name. The "Trans Am" series helped give birth to the SBC 302 and Ford 302. The engine was designed specifically to race in the Trans Am series (which required engines smaller than 305 cu in (5.0 L) and public availability of the car. So the "pony car wars" took place out on the ROAD COURSE. Initially there was no Camaro to drag race against the Mustang because Mustangs started drag racing in 1965 factory stock eliminator class. The Camaro did not debut until 1967. So to say its always been about the 1/4 mile is a lie.

Last edited by 89ThirdGenCamaro3310; 06-20-2012 at 02:53 AM.
Old 06-20-2012, 01:20 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can see the Zl1 beating the Snake since its only faster in a straight line and that isn't enough to win in a category of multiple tests.
Old 06-20-2012, 01:31 AM
Launching!

People on this forum need to start giving the ZL1 more credit, it has an uphill battle trying to win over fans for some reason, it's a fantastic car.

GM has stepped out of the pony-car and has become a true sports car, and that's saying something for a car that's close to 4200lbs!

What's not impressive about a car beating a 300lb lighter, has more 80hps more, and cost $8k more? And also the driver kept miss-shifting... and was still .7 seconds faster!

The problem is that this is America, and the culture is 0-60s and 1/4 miles and the you people that call yourself "enthusiast" keep saying "when am I ever gonna take it to the track?" Ummm NO! Change your mentality people, and ask Ford why my 300lb lighter car and 80 more hp car didn't whop the Camaros ***!

Americans REALLY need to upgrade their expectations from their favorite car companies than just an awesome engine so they get a true Sports Car, not a Straight Line Car!

And you wonder why the driver was bias? A. b/c his from europe(mentioned on bottom of the article) so he knows a thing or two about twisties and it's in their culture to like driving something more than just in the straight line and B. his a professional race car driver... why would he not be bias of a car that is giving him better feed backs? He was rooting for the Camaro b/c it's the underdog and it's always more of an exciting story when the little brother beats the older brother.

I dislike Lebron James as a person, but I give the man respect for his amazing bball talents. Dislike GM all you want but respect them for the fantastic sports car they've given us

Quick Reply: Automobile Mag: '12 ZL1 tops the '13 GT500, Part 1 of 3