Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

6th Gen Camaro Concept

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2012 | 10:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NemeSS
GM currently uses dry sump on ls7, also ls9 and lsa iirc. So tech and hardware exists at gm.
Current ls3/l99 engines are conventional wet sump. But a dry sump would be a excellent upgrade. im just thinking of parts that are in gm's bin and can be adapted or used.
I wonder why they dont use all those parts available.
I believe you can get a dry sump LS3 in the GS Vettes. Maybe manual trans only - I can't remember.

Originally Posted by firebird99
^^^^This. Really no need to add it to the base model since they will have two track models unless they want to make it a performance pack but then again isnt that the reason for the 1le even then I'm not sure if it will have dry sump.
Valid point to not add dry sump as a standard. I believe dry sump holds more oil too, so standard oil changes would cost more - something the average owner (who doesn't change their own oil) would not be too happy about.
Old 06-29-2012 | 12:17 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by NemeSS
Considering we are talking about burning fuel at a molecular level 0.06 is significant. If my memory is correct, the LS7 was pushing the envelope of hydrocarbon emissions when it came out, and there have been some slight durability concerns due to stuffing the 4.125 bore in a 4.4 bore spacing. DI would most likely help the emissions question. If you are going to live with a 4.125 bore there is almost no reason to destroke it as the current LS7 is 7000 rpm capable. The emission penalty is smaller for stroke vs bore.

A large bore/short stroke engine at 7000 rpm will have higher warranty implications than a more conventional setup at 6300 rpm, if it meets power and effeciency targets. They fave full production lines set up for the 5.3/6.2. There is just no business case for what you are requesting.

Would I love to see a DI LS7, you bet. Who wouldn't want a 600hp 427, other than hippies. Would I suggest you hold your breath for a large bore/short stroke engine instead of a DI 6.2, please don't we would not want to lose you.
Old 06-29-2012 | 11:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DoggyB22
This is how I see it.... GM already did the whole retro 69 Camaro look & it worked. Some may not like it on here but it did good. Highest sales yet. Argue all you want but its about sales. But some of these people keep thinking GM should make it look like the 70-73 style. & that's where I draw the line. You did the retro look now move on with your own style. Can't just keep remaking styles from previous years. What's the point... Mix it up
The thing is, every generation of the Camaro carried certain looks or styling cues from the previous generation. 2nd gens still had the overall body lines and shape similar to the 1st gen.

Most drastic was the change when the 3rd gens came out. The sleeker look and square headlights was something far different than previous generations but they still looked cool. About the only thing they carried over from the 2nd gen was the styling of the tail lights. When the 4th gens came out, it was a lot like the transition from 1st gen to 2nd gen all over again. The 4th gen was again sleeker than the 3rd gen but still had many of the same styling cues of the 3rd gen. The chassis was virtually identical aside from the new front suspension. The minor tweak in 98 gave the 4th gens their own LS1 look, and the incredible engine we all love.

Then after a hiatus, the 5th gens came out. Lots of mixed feelings towards them. People who never owned Camaros were flocking to buy them. I hear a lot of guys who own 1st gens say they like the look of the 5th gens. It seems a lot of hate comes from the 4th gen crowd. I don't hate the 5th gen, but I'm not in love with it either. But I do think it looks cool. Maybe GM should have built the 5th gen based on styling cues from the 4th gen. That may have looked interesting but I doubt they would have been as popular as the retro look has been. Especially sitting at it's current weight.

So which direction would be best for the 6th gen? Follow styling cues from the 5th gen and tweak the look? Or maybe go for a 2nd gen look which I think could look very cool if done properly. Or just come up with something entirely different? That could be a big mistake as well. People are accustomed to familiarity and don't usually like drastic changes unless it's for the better. I guess time will tell, but I look forward to hopefully many more generations of Camaros in the future.
Old 07-05-2012 | 01:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by M1tch
As far as i'm concerned, Camaros and Firebirds died in 2002
WINNER!! this i agree with ^^^^
Old 07-05-2012 | 02:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, lets get some fat out of the ole' girl first! The motor is there, it's just too damn fat! Look at a comparable Mustang, Gt is lighter than and SS, GT500 makes more power and lighter....than a ZL1. Come on, the 2010 Camaro was a half thought out, fat pig. I say this knowing my wife wants a 5-gen, mirrors suck, it's heavy, but I'm still drawn to it, we'll see?

-SS

Last edited by hotrodscrap; 07-06-2012 at 12:58 PM.
Old 07-07-2012 | 10:13 PM
MASS seller approved

Originally Posted by M1tch
As far as i'm concerned, Camaros and Firebirds died in 2002
Well...your statement is half true.
Old 07-08-2012 | 12:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

An interesting and promising article on the new Alpha platform.

http://www.lsxtv.com/news/alpha-base...xt-gen-camaro/
Old 07-08-2012 | 01:14 AM
12 Second Club
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by jmurray87

Ill put money on it not being 500lbs lighter than the ATS. But as for it being on the Alpha platform, thats old news.
Old 07-09-2012 | 04:13 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by jmurray87

That DTS/STS arguement is misleading. Saw a new XTS at ELCO Cadillac. Very good looking car.
Old 07-10-2012 | 04:01 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ss1129
Ill put money on it not being 500lbs lighter than the ATS. But as for it being on the Alpha platform, thats old news.
i think they meant it as being 500lbs lighter than the current Camaro
Old 07-10-2012 | 04:38 PM
12 Second Club
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by CaptainDirtymax
That I can agree with.
Old 07-14-2012 | 08:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CaptainDirtymax
So the current thinking is that the next Camaro will weigh nearly what a C6 does? I think that's a tad bit optimistic. I really don't think the Alpha platform is going to be the avenue for a 4 seater Corvette, ppl.

Quick Reply: 6th Gen Camaro Concept