Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2004, 03:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Chevy SSR tastes like Chicken!

http://www.detnews.com/2004/autosins...c01-119059.htm
Chevy clucking over innovative TV ad

By Ed Garsten / The Detroit News

DETROIT — Maybe you were fooled by the commercial, too.

The first images are of a bright yellow Chevrolet SSR pickup roadster. Then a woman describes to a man something that is “timeless yet modern.” There seems little doubt that she’s waxing rhapsodic about the SSR.

But just when you expect a harder SSR pitch, the commercial takes a fowl turn.

The woman was really crowing about the attributes of KFC Corp.’s new boneless version of its Original Recipe chicken. Next thing you know, the SSR is taking a back seat to the bird.

“The strategy was a new take on an old classic,” said Rahul Roy, senior vice president and group manager at KFC’s Chicago-based ad agency, Foote, Cone & Belding. “We thought the truck was so cool, we had to use it.”

Automakers have long allowed their vehicles to be used to promote unrelated products in both print and broadcast advertising, but the KFC/SSR spot has taken that type of placement to a new level.

“I haven’t seen one like that so brazenly vehicle-centric,” said Jim Sanfilippo, a vice president with AMCI, an automotive marketing firm in Warren. “It’s almost as if they picked a vehicle that was too visually arresting. It almost takes away from the chicken.”

Rick Baldick, marketing director for the SSR, didn’t immediately agree to let the SSR play second fiddle to fast food.

“We’re real protective of our brands and marques,” Baldick said. “We asked them what the script would look like, what’s it going to say and how are you going to do it.”

In the end, the Chevy marketing team liked the idea for two reasons: The commercial showed respect for the SSR and amounted to free advertising because it didn’t cost GM a dime.

“With small niche products like the SSR you don’t have big ad budgets,” Baldick said. “so I thought it was a good exposure opportunity.”

Sometimes a commercial that requires a bit of a guessing game can be effective for both products, said University of Detroit-Mercy marketing professor Michael Bernacchi.

“It causes heightened attention,” he said. “The viewer wants to know what the heck is going on.”

KFC got plenty of feedback during the commercial’s three-week run in March.

“People are connecting pretty strongly with the chicken,” Roy said.

Indeed, KFC’s ad agency is satisfied enough with the results that it might dream up another such commercial featuring a vehicle or other product.

And GM is happy enough with the KFC experience that, given the right partner and opportunity, Baldick said, the automaker might again consider letting one of its cars or trucks help sell somebody else’s product.
Old 04-13-2004, 11:12 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

I saw that commercial, thought it was kind of goofy. But, glad to see a Chevy on TV
Old 04-13-2004, 11:26 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree. You don't see as many Chevy commercials as Ford per say. I did want to slap the girl though.

Quick Reply: Chevy SSR tastes like Chicken!