Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Edmunds Rumor - Grand National, GNX and T-Type Are Returning to Buick

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 10:56 AM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Cadillac ATS curb weight is 3400-3500 lbs, so it might not be a pig after all since it's being built on the same platform.

A ttv6 awd would make for a fun daily driver
Old 11-30-2012, 02:33 PM
12 Second Club

Has to be a coupe. If they build it like this it'll work.

Take the ATS coupe ...
http://www.roadandtrack.com/future-c...llac-ats-coupe

... add the design cues from the 87 GN ...
http://www.insideline.com/buick/gran...rack-test.html

... and the TT 3.6 already being developed and you have the 2014 Buick Grand National/T-Type!
http://www.corvetteonline.com/news/v...ng-twin-turbos
Old 11-30-2012, 02:56 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by fspeedster
Can't wait to see how GM will **** this up...
This. They've **** the bed on the Camaro and most likely the C7. You would think our tax money would buy better! LOL

Originally Posted by MasterTomos
I look at it like this: Why ruin a legendary name that's sacred among car enthusiasts just to build a car for the general consumer who doesn't care what it's called anyway?
Thank you.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

WHAAA?

Smoky rear wheel burnouts in a Buick that has a warranty? Thou those my eyes deceiveth me?

Looks like I might have to put the Challenger on the back burner.
Old 12-01-2012, 12:49 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As much as I'd like to see this happen as much as the next guy I just don’t think it will.... I talked to a Buick rep at the NYC International Auto Show earlier this year he said we don't have any plans whatsoever towards a project like that...if we were to do it we would make the current Epsilon II chassis AWD with GMs new v6 twin turbo engine we are developing but there's no plans for it. Of course he could have been feeding me B/S who knows but also The Buick regal right now is based on the Vauxhall insignia and is front wheel drive...what these rumors are claiming is that they would ditch that chassis for the regal and put it on the alpha platform (ATS) and there's your grand national. But GM in America did a whole lot to get that car over here in the first place when they first introduced it in 2009/10 the cars were still being built in the Opel factory in Germany from then on they moved the American bound cars to be built in Canada in Feb. 2011. So as you can see it'll cost gm more money to change cars platform or even use both at the same time doesn't seem likely.
Old 12-01-2012, 07:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

People are annoying. All you firebird fans want that back but in 20 years they bring up the name again youll bitch about that. Go GM i like the idea and i love the look of the car.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 171 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Camaro350Z28
People are annoying. All you firebird fans want that back but in 20 years they bring up the name again youll bitch about that. Go GM i like the idea and i love the look of the car.
Agreed!

They brought back the ZL1 name for Camaro (and only 69 originals were ever made - making the new one mass-produced by comparison).

I like the idea, the new Buicks look good, let's just hope they pull it off in the same way the GNs conquered competition in the '80's.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

the new car has no resemblance in ANY WAY!

i was racing against them when they were NEW. if you arent 45 years old or older you have no opinion on this. you werent there. i had one of the quickest mustangs in town. a modded GN would murder me.

this is EXACTLY like brining back the GTO name using an aussie car. a failure for those who hold the name sacred.

the zl1 argument is not valid here either. the original ZL1 was for dominating the stock strip for racers. not really available for the average man. they made thousands of turbo buicks. power to the people. you guys dont get it thats all.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:44 PM
TECH Veteran

I drove an ATS recently while my car was being serviced. Mid 40k 270hp performance model with Brembos. I wasn't terribly impressed with the dynamics. It sure feels heavy for being "light".
Old 12-03-2012, 11:05 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by assasinator
the new car has no resemblance in ANY WAY!

i was racing against them when they were NEW. if you arent 45 years old or older you have no opinion on this. you werent there. i had one of the quickest mustangs in town. a modded GN would murder me.

this is EXACTLY like brining back the GTO name using an aussie car. a failure for those who hold the name sacred.

Since 1993, I have owned two 87 Turbo T's, an 87 GN and now have an 86 T-Type. I have absolutely no problem with a new twin turbo 4-door version with 400 or so HP.

No resemblance?

- They would both be vehicles which at first glance look like your average family car with room for 4-5 passengers.
- They would both be powered by a turbocharged version of a mass produced staple V6 engine (3.8 & 3.6).

Car models evolve. Deal with it.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:18 AM
Problem?

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by -Ross-

Since 1993, I have owned two 87 Turbo T's, an 87 GN and now have an 86 T-Type. I have absolutely no problem with a new twin turbo 4-door version with 400 or so HP.

No resemblance?

- They would both be vehicles which at first glance look like your average family car with room for 4-5 passengers.
- They would both be powered by a turbocharged version of a mass produced staple V6 engine (3.8 & 3.6).

Car models evolve. Deal with it.
Thank you. I'm glad at least a few people still have some sense.

Quick Reply: Edmunds Rumor - Grand National, GNX and T-Type Are Returning to Buick