Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

AutoBlog - How the Super Sport will become Chevy's four-door Corvette halo car

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 04:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

This is a really bad idea. GM doesnt need another overpriced car in their lineup. This car will compete against the V. Stupid. At a lower price, its another market, so new customers. Well I was wondering if I should wait for an affordable full size V8 RWD sedan for G8..I'll just buy a used G8 GT and call it a day..
Old 12-04-2012, 03:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TriShield
Your measurements proved my point about the CTS, it's as big as a G8 but with a terribly small interior. That and several other things have always given me the impression that it's an oddly engineered car and not on the level in any respect outside of brute acceleration of the German competition GM wanted it to play with.

The G8 is a better rendered car regardless of price and is much more in line with the Euro competition GM so badly wants Cadillac to be equal to. The CTS-V, especially the wagon has the aformentioned novelty factor going for it but it really not a tremendously nice or well rounded car.

I certainly don't like my knee rubbing against the center stack when driving one. I really don't like looking down to not only see the temperature but pressing a button ten times to adjust it. The Recaros feel okay but are trimmed with leather that looks more like a banana peel than the natural hides you get in virtually any European car, even VWs and Volvos. I've noticed here that Vs that are only a year or two old with around 10k miles on them feel like they're going to fall apart. That kind of sucks for a car that GM asks 70k for new.

We also know a tremendous amount about the Super Sport, it is afterall a G8 which we have. Which was an excellent car with few if any shortcomings for what it cost new. The Super Sport will build on that with a tremendous massage inside and out to bring it up to 2012 standards and with a LT1 or LSA under the hood. The MSRP is going to be similar to a Charger SRT8 but it will be a substantially better car than the SRT just as the G8 GT and GXP were in 2009.

I personally wouldn't buy a Corvette new either, the depreciation on them is killer and they are very common. That wasn't the case with the G8 either and it won't be with the planned 5,000 or so Super Sports hitting our shores each year for three or so years it will most certainly be worth much more than the majority of late model Corvettes and even CTS-Vs for the matter.

If you have the cash to buy new the Super Sport is going to be a much better bet for a ride that is something truly unique, truly awesome in every respect and truly valuable down the road.
Time will tell which of us is correct. I see your points, I just don't agree with GM taking this route with their existing stable of vehicles. I personally would love to see "just another G8," replacing the Impala in the lineup and priced accordingly. Leave the luxury/sport sedan role to the CTS-V and the coming ATS-V (and possible Buick GNX).

I also don't buy into the "limited production = rare = valuable" formula. It works for some vehicles (Ford GT) and doesn't for others (Saab 9-7x Aero, which are ALWAYS cheaper than their TBSS twin).
Old 12-05-2012, 10:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by transamtom
Unobtainium is a fail,this car needs to be priced right.

He(Reuss) might say its not a G8 but we all know its a very close cousin.

Charging a premium because it has a new Gen V LT1 under the hood won't cut it.
The G8 failed using the model you want them to use again. They are not going to fo that. They are envisioning selling fewer of them, which will naturally drive the prices up, and then raising the quality of the rest of the car to help justify the expense.

As I hasve said before, if they offer one with the supercharged motor, it won't undercut a CTSV by too much.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:14 PM
12 Second Club

I used to work in the Automotive industry designing machinery. I got really excited when GM was developing the alpha chassis as it was designed to be a lightweight 4 door RWD sedan layout.

I quickly lost excitement when i realized they wouldn't be releasing a low-priced rwd performance sedan. I think GM has lost touch with the market, We all know a low priced V8 rwd 4 door sports sedan would sell like crazy. They can even build it with parts off their shelf, use the 5.3 from the truck line up and the Cadillac ATS chassis but remove all the luxury crap and toss a redesigned chevy front clip and call it a....(insert name here) I like the idea of reviving the Nova name.

Just my .02
Old 12-06-2012, 02:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nowhere in that article was an actual number attached to the price. Everything else is speculation.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:31 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SSCamaro99_3
Nowhere in that article was an actual number attached to the price. Everything else is speculation.
When the president of General Motors North America says it's going to be a much better car than the G8 GXP, basically a 4-door Corvette, and then says "Anyone who has the right amount of money and shows up in a Chevrolet dealership, we will sell them this car...it's a pretty safe bet this car is going to be $55k+. Honestly after reading through it again it sounds like this car is aiming at being above even the CTS-V in terms of performance, so again I have to say this is a retarded move by GM.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In fact, Reuss said the SS is a completely different car from the G8, specifically in terms of refinement and NVH, and that's before you get to the high-power small-block V8 that, in his words, makes the SS "a four-door Corvette." The user interface, the tactile points, the perceived and real touches are a step in another direction, "quite different" is what we were told. Above that, Reuss said the entire SS package has been about making sure all aspects of the car fit together. "The integration in NVH, ride and handling has to match, and the refinement of the car will match the performance of the car." The meaning for us is, "Don't expect this to be like the G8 or the G8 GXP." We should expect it to be better. We don't have a problem with that, since the G8 GXP was one of our favorite cars.
This is the only paragraph that mentions any performance metric. It is really only said that it will be better than G8/G8 GXP. CTS-V is never mentioned in the article. I think you are making assumptions that are way above what is really being said. Corvette bases in the low $50's, nowhere near CTS-V territory. Your assumptions may come true, but you are throwing the baby out with the bathwater at this point.

Quick Reply: AutoBlog - How the Super Sport will become Chevy's four-door Corvette halo car