Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

2014 Z28 LS7 incoming?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 12:25 AM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MI-Z/28
This has not been proven in a heads up, same day, same driver comparison. I also do not care about a single lap time. I'd like to know how the LS3 holds up compared to the Boss's forged and race ready 302 over the course of many laps. I have heard the LS3's are prone to oil issues on hard track days.
The whole "it wasn't the same driver on the same day in the same conditions" thing is grasping at straws in my opinion. So far (with the instance we're all referring to) the 1LE has posted a faster time at VIR than the Boss. It is what it is...if Ford wants to go back and try again, go for it. Besides, it's not like we're talking Michael Schumacher was driving a ZL1 on a fully prepped track, on a 75 degree day all the while the Boss's time was set by a guy like me driving on a 40 degree day during an unseasonable monsoon.

As far as the oiling issues go, I think it would be a cool for GM to offer something like a hardcore package that stripped out everything but a plain jane radio and heat/ac while including the LS3 out of the Corvette GS. Aside from that idea, if you admittedly don't care about a single lap time, why do you care about oiling issues on hard track days?
Old 01-12-2013, 07:39 AM
10 Second Club

Received 428 Likes on 337 Posts

Sure it the Camaro was run in the best conditions ever and the Boss had to been run in the worst conditions with 2yr old tires ad not the updated model.....kinda like this.

2010 camaro vs 2012 boss.........shoulda been 2012 Camaro vs 2012 Boss but ford probably would not want to see that happen.

Old 01-12-2013, 09:11 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by justin455
Aside from that idea, if you admittedly don't care about a single lap time, why do you care about oiling issues on hard track days?
I don't care if a car's fastest lap is 2 minutes flat. If it cannot repeat that time lap after lap throughout the course of an entire race or track day and the motor cannot survive more than a few laps because of oiling issues, then that one hit wonder lap time means nothing to me. I can have the fastest car after lap 1, but if I continue to slow down throughout the race or can't finish a race, then cars whose fastest laps were slower than mine will beat me.

Example

Car 1: Fastest lap = 2min. Average lap = 2min 10sec. Engine blows after a few laps due to oil starvation
Car 2: Fastest lap = 2min 5sec. Average lap = 2min 5sec. Car survives entire race.

Justin, which car would you rather have for track days? I'd suggest Car 2.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:34 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
Sure it the Camaro was run in the best conditions ever and the Boss had to been run in the worst conditions with 2yr old tires ad not the updated model.....kinda like this.

2010 camaro vs 2012 boss.........shoulda been 2012 Camaro vs 2012 Boss but ford probably would not want to see that happen.

The 1LE is the better car between the 2. True it and the boss have not been ran side by side, but according to C&D, even with supposed mistakes made, it was still faster than the boss. Shortly after C&D did that article, motortrend tried to do a head to head with them, but ford would only give them a track pack GT
Old 01-12-2013, 11:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For those that don't know, even the standard 2012 Camaro SS's have revised/bnetter susepsnion than the 10-11 cars. The FE4 package includes bigger, lighter swaybars that are mounted in new positions, revised dampners, and some new suspension geomerty on ALL v8 cars, and the 1LE is even a step above that.

I have yet to see any magazine run an FE4 SS anywhere to compare times between the 10-11 cars, and I am very curious how the FE4 SS cars stack up against mustangs.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:52 PM
10 Second Club

Received 428 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by MasterTomos
For those that don't know, even the standard 2012 Camaro SS's have revised/bnetter susepsnion than the 10-11 cars. The FE4 package includes bigger, lighter swaybars that are mounted in new positions, revised dampners, and some new suspension geomerty on ALL v8 cars, and the 1LE is even a step above that.

I have yet to see any magazine run an FE4 SS anywhere to compare times between the 10-11 cars, and I am very curious how the FE4 SS cars stack up against mustangs.
This for those that don't know.

I would like to see a fe4 vs Mustangs also......but for some reason I don't think we will or it woulda happened in the test I posted
Old 01-13-2013, 01:34 PM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MI-Z/28
I don't care if a car's fastest lap is 2 minutes flat. If it cannot repeat that time lap after lap throughout the course of an entire race or track day and the motor cannot survive more than a few laps because of oiling issues, then that one hit wonder lap time means nothing to me. I can have the fastest car after lap 1, but if I continue to slow down throughout the race or can't finish a race, then cars whose fastest laps were slower than mine will beat me.

Example

Car 1: Fastest lap = 2min. Average lap = 2min 10sec. Engine blows after a few laps due to oil starvation
Car 2: Fastest lap = 2min 5sec. Average lap = 2min 5sec. Car survives entire race.

Justin, which car would you rather have for track days? I'd suggest Car 2.
I read it wrong...like you were one of those "I'll never do anything but drive straight!" guys and you didn't care about lap times.

I agree with you then about the oiling issues, but if I was in the market I would still choose the 1LE. As I already said, GM would be cool to offer an option of the C6 GS's LS3 to the 1LE, but if I was a hardcore track addict I could probably remedy that one short coming easier than getting the lighter Boss's suspension onto the same level as the 1LE's.
Old 01-13-2013, 04:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol at ANYONE who thinks the LS3 cant handle lap after lap beatings...lol you ford guys amaze me... it bothers you so much that the zl1 and the 1le beat fords BEST mustang around a race track.. how many ls3 corvettes do you see having issues? its the exact same motor..
Old 01-13-2013, 08:56 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by The Baron
lol at ANYONE who thinks the LS3 cant handle lap after lap beatings...lol you ford guys amaze me... it bothers you so much that the zl1 and the 1le beat fords BEST mustang around a race track.. how many ls3 corvettes do you see having issues? its the exact same motor..
So because I point out an issue with a GM product I'm a Ford guy? Ok... You know nothing about me.

I've read about more than a few on the Vette boards. I've also seen some discussion about it on here among Vette owners. Have I experienced the issue personally? No. Am I saying an LS3 is guaranteed to blow if you run it hard on a road course? No. But the issue has been documented on more than a few occasions, so it does exist.

Quick Reply: 2014 Z28 LS7 incoming?