Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Holden Unveils Refreshed 2014 Commodore (was sold as the G8, now Super Sport in US)

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 07:58 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

X2! I was pretty disgusted with the pics being shown until i saw that last one, still not as aggressive as id like, but much better!
Old 02-15-2013, 10:08 AM
TECH Veteran

Looks promising but they will strip it just like they did with the G8. When I first ordered my GXP it said on the Pontiac website that the GXP would have hids. The dealer confirmed this. When the car showed up it didn't have hids. The side view mirrors didn't tip down when in reverse like the Holden counterpart. ECT. No ipod integration. The suspension was so soft I thought it already had 100K miles on it. The GXP is a sports car not a grocery getter yet GM still gave it an "American suspension." My steering wheel had a worse case of the shakes than an off balance clothes dryer. The dealer told me to get lost. They put very skinny tires on the car so it couldn't hook up. Just too many problems for a car in that price range.

BUT the concept was nice. It could have been a legendary car not for the fact it was the last effort from Pontiac but just a great drivers car. Let's hope GM delivers this time.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://smh.drive.com.au/motor-news/h...215-2eh8t.html

The car will have one of the most powerful V8s ever fitted to a locally-produced car and Holden will only sell the most powerful – and, likely, thirstiest – version.

The export car will look almost identical to the recently-revealed VF Commodore SS-V, albeit with Chevrolet badges and – possibly – bonnet scoops to give it a more aggressive look.

However it's expected to get a 6.2-litre V8, which will outgun the Holden version that makes do with a 6.0-litre V8.

It definitely is going to be packing LSA, LT1 or supercharged LT1 power.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:23 AM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Pics are up!
http://www.chevyssforums.com/showthr...ed%21-Pictures

LS3 powered, 415 HP and 415 TQ.
-6-speed automatic only at launch
-Brembo brakes
-19" Forged aluminum wheels
-9 speaker Bose sound system
-0-60 "in about 5 seconds"
-Automatic park assist (it can park itself)
Old 02-16-2013, 07:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

that is nice!

i was hoping it would look more aggressive than those earlier pics. badass power with comfort and looks.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

laugh ls3

wheres the ******* lt1

oh, and it looks even more like a toyota for the american version
Old 02-16-2013, 09:28 AM
10 Second Club

http://media.gm.com/content/media/us...-chevy-ss.html

DAYTONA, Fla. – As Chevrolet’s first V-8, rear-wheel-drive performance sedan since 1996, the new Chevrolet SS is designed to deliver performance on the street and on the track. The 2014 Chevrolet SS will debut this weekend at the Daytona International Speedway as the SS racecar makes its NASCAR debut during the Daytona 500.
“The Chevrolet brand was largely built on the strength of rear-drive performance sedans, yet it's been 17 years since we've offered one,” said Mark Reuss, president of General Motors North America. “The all-new Chevrolet SS fills that void and fills it better than any other vehicle in the brand’s rich history. The comfort, convenience, spaciousness and V-8 power make the SS a total performance package unlike any other on the road today.”
The Chevrolet SS benefits from the proven, race-tested, global rear-wheel drive architecture that is the foundation for the Camaro, Caprice Police Patrol Vehicle and Holden’s VF Commodore.
The Chevrolet SS is powered by the LS3 Chevrolet V-8, expected to deliver 415 horsepower and 415 lb-ft of torque. Also used in the 2013 Chevrolet Corvette, the LS3 displaces 6.2 liters, more than the 5.5-liter V-8 powering the Chevrolet SS NASCAR competitors.
The LS3 is married to a six-speed automatic transmission, which can be shifted manually using TAPshift paddles mounted on the steering wheel. With an aggressive 3.27 final-drive ratio, the Chevrolet SS accelerates from 0 to 60 mph in about five seconds – making it one of the quickest sedans on the market.
To ensure that it turns and stops as well as it accelerates; the Chevrolet SS also features a sport-tuned chassis, including:
  • MacPherson strut front and multilink independent rear suspension geometry
  • Electronic power steering system, optimized for sport driving
  • Standard Brembo brakes, with ventilated, 355-mm rotors and two-piece, four-piston front calipers
  • Forged aluminum wheels, wrapped in ultra-high-performance Bridgestone tires: 19 x 8.5 inch wheels with 245/40ZR19 tires in front; 19 x 9.0 inch wheels with 275/35ZR19 tires rear
Handling is also improved by a near 50/50 weight distribution, and a low center of gravity – made possible in part by the aluminum hood and rear deck lid that are 30 percent lighter than traditional steel panels.
“Our goal was to create a car that delivers incredible grip and handling balance while cornering, while still being comfortable to drive on the road,” said David Leone, executive chief engineer GM global programs. “The perfect weight balance and lower center of gravity were a big part of that goal because it enabled the team to tune for a more comfortable highway ride without sacrificing handling or driver confidence while cornering at the limits.”
Similarly, the design of the SS blends performance cues and premium details.
“From every angle, the Chevrolet SS says power and performance,” said John Cafaro design director Chevrolet passenger cars and small crossovers. “The combination of an aggressive rear-wheel drive stance and body-side attitude with the right balance of detail and refinement inside and out are the perfect home for Chevrolet’s V-8 performance package.”
The staggered front and rear wheels, which are pushed out to the corners, enhance the sporting, muscular stance of the SS. Up front, the aluminum hood features a subtle “power bulge” hinting at the power of the engine underneath. At the rear, the tapered, tear-drop shape contributes to improved aerodynamic performance. Premium cues include jewel-like chrome accents, standard high-intensity discharge headlamps and light-emitting diode daytime running lights.
The spacious interior of the SS will comfortably accommodate five adults, with 42 inches of front legroom, and 39 inches of rear legroom. Leather seating surfaces are standard, as are eight-way power adjustable front bucket seats with additional side bolstering that hug the driver and front passenger in tight-handling situations. The SS emblem is prominently stitched onto the soft-touch instrument panel which features two types of chrome finishes – a satin gloss and a bright chrome. At night, the interior is illuminated by ice blue ambient lighting.
An integrated center stack includes infotainment, climate and other vehicle controls. The Chevrolet SS also offers a long list of technology features as standard equipment including:
  • Color, in-dashboard touch screen that supports Chevrolet MyLink and the next-generation navigation system
  • Bose® Nine-speaker premium sound system
  • Color heads-up display
  • Push-button start
  • StabiliTrak Electronic Stability Control
  • Forward Collision Alert
  • Lane Departure Warning
  • Side Blind Zone Alert
  • Rear-vision camera Rear Cross Traffic Alert
The SS is also the first Chevrolet to offer Automatic Parking Assist, which provides hands-free parking help. This efficient ‘hands-free’ parking assistant uses the ultrasonic sensing system to detect the width and depth of either parallel or reverse right-angle parking spaces. While the driver controls the throttle, transmission, and brake, the Automatic Parking Assist controls the steering inputs necessary to neatly park the Chevrolet SS.
The 2014 Chevrolet SS will be available in the fourth quarter of 2013, with prices set closer to the on-sale date. When it arrives in showrooms, the SS will join the Corvette and Camaro, whose combined sales have made Chevrolet America’s favorite performance brand for the last two years.
Founded in 1911 in Detroit, Chevrolet is now one of the world's largest car brands, doing business in more than 140 countries and selling more than 4.5 million cars and trucks a year. Chevrolet provides customers with fuel-efficient vehicles that feature spirited performance, expressive design, and high quality. More information on Chevrolet models can be found at www.chevrolet.com.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:31 AM
10 Second Club

interior

Old 02-16-2013, 09:45 AM
TECH Regular

Looks great inside and out!
Should handle well too.

No LT1, no manual or DCT is a little disappointing though.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Looks good I think, not sure why they used such a bland color/wheel combo to debut it in. Should have used a red color with the black wheels the Holden one came out with.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default 2014 Chevrolet SS revealed.LS3 and auto only

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2014-chevrolet-ss-sedan-photos-and-info-news
Old 02-16-2013, 10:51 AM
11 Second Club

Same powertrain as a 5 year old GXP. Great job, GM.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

im sure GM will continue to add and improve things to this car but so far i like it.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:06 AM
10 Second Club

Received 426 Likes on 337 Posts

Kinda sucks....shoulda had the lt1 in it.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats gm, you fucked up again. This will be the g8 all over. Manual for top end model only
Old 02-16-2013, 11:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

To me there's not enough improvements to justify trading my G8 GT for it, specially since there's no manual trans available. I don't mind the auto trans in my car but if I'm laying out more money the car would have to have a manual trans. If it comes time to replace the G8 I'll be looking at a manual G8 GXP or a Camaro SS. Nice try GM but I think you fell short with this car.

Pros
Nicer interior than G8
Bose sound system
Heads up display
Steering wheel paddle shifters
Wider rear tires & wheels
More hp than G8 GT
Slight weight reduction

Cons
No manual trans
Older powertrain
No hood scoops
Too many unneeded nanny gadgets
Looks too plain compared to G8
Wheels aren't sporty looking enough
Old 02-16-2013, 12:46 PM
TECH Regular

I think for now were better off with the LS3. Multiple heads, cams, strokers, superchargers, and turbos will be imediately available. With the LT1 we would be much more limited for quite some time. I just dont care about getting an extra 20 hp or 2 miles per gallon. I am glad to see the car come back with the interior improvements. Maybe this time I won't miss out like I did with the G8.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:56 PM
TECH Veteran

As a former G8 GXP owner I find the car to be a vast improvement inside and out, the G8 GXP is back with the interior, features and hopefully workmanship it should have had in 2009. I too though am disappointed with the powertrain.

I anticipate that when the Holden/HSV adopts the LT1 it will also be offered on this car when it happens, like it did with the GTO. A manual is apparently coming but not at launch, like the G8.

I will consider one at the end of the production run when improvments and things are added. If the car isn't doing well by then it will probably be a Hell of a deal at that time too.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Interior is a step up, but the exterior is Camryish to me, just seems too blah. The only thing that really makes me jelly coming from my G8 is the HUD and nicer seats.
Old 02-16-2013, 02:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

I bet it will get new engine and hood scoops the 2nd year its the GTO all over again!

Quick Reply: Holden Unveils Refreshed 2014 Commodore (was sold as the G8, now Super Sport in US)