Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Updated 2014 Dodge Durango

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 11:06 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Updated 2014 Dodge Durango

Looking nice. I kept holding off for this update, but they kept pushing it back so I pulled the trigger on a heavily discounted 2013 R/T.

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/201...d=1458_7467983

Ford’s Explorer is for soccer moms. Nissan’s latest Pathfinder? Forget finding paths, how about finding a closer parking space at Costco? See, if you want a three-row crossover that announces, “This guy (or gal) has got some onions,” look no further than Dodge’s Durango. With its square-jawed face, muscular fender bulges, and available Hemi V-8 power, the Durango oozes brawn. And for 2014 it gets a make over—uh, we mean, it got into a fistfight that resulted in reconstructive surgery, a few extra gears in its transmission, a new trim level, and more whiz-bang technology. (And, yeah, fights usually end in revised gearboxes, additional trim levels, and more whiz-bang technology.)
While Dodge has yet to release fuel-economy estimates for the eight-speed Durango, the company does claim that the new transmission results in a nine-percent efficiency improvement. (The current, two-wheel-drive Durango is rated for 16 mpg in the city and 23 on the highway with the V-6 and 14/20 with the V-8. All-wheel drive drops the V-8’s city figure by 1 mpg and doesn’t affect the six’s numbers.) Dodge also claims that the V-6 Durango now boasts the longest driving range between fill-ups in its class—a bladder-torturing 600 miles. (Holding it for longer is extra manly and tough, though, and thus a uniquely Durango-ish selling point. Points deducted for a funny dance, though.) When they occur, fill-ups themselves should be slightly quicker thanks to the 2014 Durango’s new capless fuel-filler opening.

Fifty Shades of Mind Your Own Damn Business

For 2014, the Durango’s SXT, Rallye, R/T, and range-topping Citadel trim levels are joined by a new Limited spec, which slots under the Citadel. The Limited comes standard with polished 18-inch wheels, leather seats, heated front seats and steering wheel, and the larger 8.4-inch Uconnect display. Once again, the Rallye and the R/T are the sportiest Durangos, and get a monochrome exterior treatment, headlights with black accents, dual exhaust outlets, and 20-inch black wheels. The new LED running lights come standard on the Rallye on up, and the Citadel and R/T include HID headlights, too

Not Bruised—Angry!

The 2014 Durango’s headlights are narrower, and the grille looks like it took a vicious, tenth-round upper cut from a prizefighter, but we mean that in the nicest way possible. It’s also more streamlined than before, and sits above a rearranged lower fascia that wears an exaggerated scowl. The headlights and fog lamps are now projector-beam units, and uplevel models get LED running-light strips. Chalk up the Durango as the winner of that metaphorical boxing match, because it still has the best-looking mug of any three-row rig out there.

The biggest change is to the Durango’s rear end, though, which now lights up brighter and more identifiably than before thanks to Dodge’s signature full-width LED taillight design. Dodge says a total of 192 LEDs do the dazzling, and the new look brings the Durango in line with the Dart and Charger sedans. There are seven new 18- and 20-inch wheel designs to match the updated sheetmetal, as well as three distinct grilles that vary depending on the trim level.

The Insides, But No Feelings and Emotional Stuff

You can’t take a few hits to the abdomen—or go through a mid-cycle refresh—without getting a rearranged interior, and the 2014 Durango’s got one. Even though the dashboard is essentially the same, Dodge swapped out the center stack for a new one that accommodates either a standard five-inch Uconnect touch screen or an optional 8.4-inch unit—both with the latest versions of Uconnect—as well as a fresh array of hard buttons just beneath the display. The three-spoke steering wheel is new, and incorporates standard paddle shifters for a bit of zest. Behind the wheel is an equally new seven-inch, reconfigurable TFT digital gauge cluster like the one available in the Dart, although here it’s standard. The optional rear-seat entertainment package now features a Blu-ray player and a pair of seatback-mounted, high-resolution nine-inch screens, as opposed to the 2013 model’s single, roof-mounted display that couldn’t play Blu-ray discs.

Mechanically, the Durango soldiers on into 2014 largely unchanged save for the aforementioned transmission swap. Like its platform-mate, the 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee, the Durango gets Chrysler’s new eight-speed automatic, which backs up to either the standard 3.6-liter Pentastar V-6 or the available 5.7-liter Hemi V-8. The new trans is operated via a new rotary shift ****—just like the one in the eight-speed-equipped version of the 2013 Ram 1500—located where the more traditional shift lever resided on the 2013 model. The V-6 still makes 290 horsepower and 260 lb-ft of torque, while the V-8 continues to churn out 360 ponies and 390 lb-ft of twist. Towing capacities for the 2014 model are the same as last year: 6200 pounds for V-6 Durangos and 7400 pounds for rear-drive V-8s, while all-wheel-drive V-8 Durangos can pull 7200 pounds.

Because talking about safety features seems a little sissy when discussing the Durango, we suggest reading the following paragraph through gritted teeth. See? It’s burrter earlruddy. The Durango’s roster of save-your-bacon gear previously included blind-spot monitoring, rear cross-path alert, and a full complement of air bags. New this year are radar-based forward-collision warning and crash mitigation, a driver’s-side knee airbag, and Uconnect Access’s ability to contact help in an emergency. While we’re doing the gritted-teeth thing, now might be a good time to note that Dodge also fitted an Eco driving mode as standard equipment. It’s automatically selected on vehicle startup and alters throttle sensitivity, the transmission mapping, and fiddles with V-8 models’ cylinder-deactivation protocol to improve fuel economy. It can be defeated with a push of a button.

Dodge will begin producing the 2014 Durango in the third quarter of this year, so expect to see the updated SUV hit dealer lots this fall. Pricing and final EPA ratings will be released closer to the on-sale date, but don’t expect the former to deviate too far from the 2013’s $30,490 base price. We like the Durango—it won a comparison test against the Ford Explorer and Honda Pilot—largely because of its butch looks, winsome personality, and excellent driving manners. It seems Dodge left the latter two traits well enough alone, while suitably increasing the ute’s handsomeness—and we’re not just saying that because we don’t want to get punched.
Old 03-28-2013, 12:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

That's pretty damn nice ! Fiat has stepped up there game I have a 2012 RT Charger.....
Old 03-28-2013, 12:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I like everything about it except the side profile. It screams of minivan/wagon with a small lift. I love the front and the rear is less boring than any other full size SUV on the market, so I'm okay with it. I just can't get over the side profile.

I actually like the **** shifter too. A lot of people will hate that, but I like hot it leaves more space for other *****/buttons/etc. in the center console. The lit audio-in/USB/SD card ports are awesome as well.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Up to now, it's been a very long time since Dodge offered anything in SUV form(and no, it's really not a full size even if I stretch my imagination) which impressed me. This new Durango doesn't do it for me either. The dash is way too busy and the round ***** are way too large(what's grabbing them, an ape?). The side view does resemble a mini-van to me, but the front looks rather like their 1/2 ton pickup with a massive plastic bumper cover. It looks as if they took the rear end right off a Lincoln MKS.

Cool features here and there are great, but this thing isn't hauling a trailer(or people) like a Tahoe or Expedition. Indeed, it falls thousands of pounds short of either. It's also smaller inside and out, although the exterior dimensions are deceivingly close. On the bright side, it's roughly $15,000 less than the real full size SUV's, in base form.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't mind the larger *****. They allow a more precise feel when turning them, especially when the vehicle is in motion. A very small **** would allow for over-turning, and it isn't like they don't have the space for the larger one (I never want to see 4 cup holders in the center console).

I agree with the rest of your assessment, but I still somewhat like it. The side view kills me though. Also, that front end is unique to the R/T model. The Crew and Citadel have a more SUV/truck looking front end.

Ultimately, if it had a few more inches of ground clearance I think I could overlook the boring side view. I have no need for 6 or 7 passenger seating though.
Old 03-31-2013, 06:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I bought my Durango because we needed the space and I didn't want a big awkward slow truck-based SUV. This thing drives and rides like a car, but has some ***** at the same time. 7400 lbs is more than enough towing capacity for my needs.

The funny thing is, the 3rd row in the Durango is way more comfortable than a Tahoe's.
Old 03-31-2013, 06:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the interior

Quick Reply: Updated 2014 Dodge Durango