Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

2014 LS3 Chevrolet Super Sport sedan Pricing Released

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 10:36 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice performance numbers, but that styling is really bland.
Old 06-05-2013, 04:10 PM
10 Second Club

It's definitely a little pricier than I was hoping it would be (I thought it might come in at just under $40k) but I'm betting that it IS a great car to drive/own as well.
I almost look at it as sort of an 'entry level/budget minded' Cadillac CTS-V.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by -Ross-
I just can't see myself buying one of these in the $47-48k range when I could buy a 10-11 CTS-V with under 20k miles for the same price. With that said, I understand some people would rather have a brand new car and there's nothing wrong with that.
I agree with you on that Ross, we are actually thinking of a used V as well I don't we will just have to wait and see.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No new car would ever be bought by anybody if it was always compared to a 2 year old car in price lol-V6 Mustangs and Camaros would never leave the lot because a 1 or 2 year old Gt or SS would be about the same price. That being said, I'd never buy a new anything lol.

It's kind of nice that there's another sports sedan option that's not "in your face!" styling. Something badass, yet grandma could still borrow it to go to coffee or bingo and not feel weird pulling up in it. You could take a business client to lunch in it without feeling like your flaunting your money or it could be parked outside of an attorney's office without people thinking it's pretentious. There's certainly a place for these kinds of cars. It's not boring, it's modest and it's humble IMO.
Old 06-06-2013, 12:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

I don't care if the Dodge outperforms it, it's not worth the headache.
Old 06-06-2013, 12:16 AM
TECH Veteran

I thought really hard about buying a new LSA CTS-V (as well as a LS3 Camaro SS) prior to getting my G8 GXP back in 2009 and drove a few. I couldn't shake that there is really something off about the way they are packaged and the way they drive so I went GXP.

It's a little bewildering that GM can make a big, heavy car like a CTS yet has such a cramped interior front and back, kind of like a Camaro but without the short greenhouse yet it still has similar issues. The steering is vague as well, it doesn't feel sporty to drive. It feels light yet burdened kind of like an Escalade. The standard seats are completely horrible and the optional Recaros are snug but hard as rocks. Comfort isn't helped further by a ride that borders on harsh and all the road noise on highways.

The used ones either because of how they are built or because of who owns them (or both) do not seem to age well inside either. The price is basically eye-watering for what you get unless you just want the thrust, it would be hard to drop 70 large plus tax and registration on it after driving European cars you can get for that kind of money.

G8s are much easier to see out of, get in and out of, are more roomy front and back, ride better, handle better, the steering and brakes feel a lot better and it ended up being even more unique than even a V. It's more well-rounded and well-sorted car, brilliantly engineered really if you appreciate that sort of thing. It felt like you're getting your money's worth and not getting screwed in any area for what they were selling for. G8s weren't perfect mind you but it is a better car regardless of price than any CTS. The SS version of the G8 will be just as good while addressing the shortcomings the G8 had, especially inside.

A V would be fun and the novelty of a Cadillac muscle car/hot-rod is cool, but in my view not to own or have to drive to work in every day. And if you aren't driving a car like this as a daily why not get a Corvette or something that's more performance or weekend toy oriented? The V should be fast, practical and comfortable or even luxurious, it is only really one of those things. A G8 (and the SS) will be fast, reasonably comfortable and give you your money's worth feature-wise, interior quality-wise and in practicality. It will probably be very rare too no matter what people may think of the styling.

GM NA should be letting the Aussies engineer a lot of their mainstream large vehicles here just like they let the Koreans at GMDAT do all the small cars and SUVs and Germans at Opel with Buicks and large FWD platforms, they are clearly better at it. Leave NA to come up with fullsize trucks and midsize SUVs.

I just read tonight the Car and Driver comparo of the most powerful ATS vs the BMW 3-Series and Lexus IS F-Sport and the ATS was dead last for many of the reasons I passed on a V. It doesn't bode well for anything else they have in the works based on that platform unless they make some serious changes.
Old 06-06-2013, 01:07 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^agreed on just about everything you stated Trishield. I cannot believe how cramped CTS's are on the interior in light of how massive of a car it is, same goes for the Mopar performance sedan lineup.

I think there should be more performance offerings that are less pretentious in their appearance as well, one of the reasons I like the new Super Sport and liked the G8's as well. While every car shouldn't be like this, there needs to be some offered by American Manufacturers.
Old 06-06-2013, 07:09 AM
10 Second Club

Received 423 Likes on 335 Posts

Looks like a great car to me. But the prices keep goin up and up. So does the content.....but that don't matter if you can't afford it. I'm just not gonna finance a car/truck for 84 months like I have seen advertised.
Old 06-06-2013, 04:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Recall, that Sigma is a mid-sized platform. CTS 2003-current has had the same 113.4 in wheelbase. The 2008 and newer look bigger due to styling. STS was on the stretched 116.4 in wheelbase. 2014 will ride n a 114.6 in wheelbase.
Old 06-06-2013, 06:22 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by MasterTomos
No new car would ever be bought by anybody if it was always compared to a 2 year old car in price lol-V6 Mustangs and Camaros would never leave the lot because a 1 or 2 year old Gt or SS would be about the same price. That being said, I'd never buy a new anything lol.

It's kind of nice that there's another sports sedan option that's not "in your face!" styling. Something badass, yet grandma could still borrow it to go to coffee or bingo and not feel weird pulling up in it. You could take a business client to lunch in it without feeling like your flaunting your money or it could be parked outside of an attorney's office without people thinking it's pretentious. There's certainly a place for these kinds of cars. It's not boring, it's modest and it's humble IMO.
I still don't care for it, but you made a TOTALLY compelling argument! Also, while I've been strongly considering a new car, I keep looking and keep finding myself thinking they're JUST NOT worth the price...
Old 06-06-2013, 11:08 PM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

I agree.
Old 06-07-2013, 05:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I disagree with not purchasing new. There are occasions when it makes sense if one intends to own the vehicle for a long period of time. Have bought new twice-2004 and 1991 models but at the end of the model year where there were considerable incentives both on the invoice price and in terms of financing. The 1991 model lasted until 2005 and the 2004 model is still with me.

Also finances are an issue. I considered replacing my 1991 5.0 in 2001 with a Camaro SS but could not rationalize spending $26,000+ for a Camaro. A few years and serious income increase later I had no problem with a larger amount for a GTO.

NB: I like the SS. I do not understand why it is just called an SS instead of a XXX SS as with all previous Chevrolet Super Sports. Tend to like sleepers. Do not care for all of the interior accessories as these are what tend to fail years later instead of the drivetrain.

If I had a family of four and still wanted performance it would be on my list of possibles.

Last edited by Felix C; 06-07-2013 at 07:03 AM.
Old 06-08-2013, 12:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

price is too high and if youre calling something the SS and it doesn't come in a manual you should be shot..

saw it in arlington too, very nice car inside. but ist still just a G8 underneath, which you can easilly pick up for low or under 20k
Old 06-08-2013, 08:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Throwback stripes debuted Down Under, they might be offered here as well.

I think the car would look better with an SS on the grille instead of a big gold bowtie.
Old 06-08-2013, 09:41 PM
11 Second Club

not different enough from the G8 imo.. And priced a bit too high. $39,999 sounds alot better than the inflated MSRP you know they won't sell for.. GM droppin the ball on the SS..

Couldn't even find some new side view mirrors? OMG really?
Attached Thumbnails 2014 LS3 Chevrolet Super Sport sedan Pricing Released-2014_chevrolet_ss_f34_ns_22213_500.jpg  
Old 06-08-2013, 09:49 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Bowtie502
price is too high and if youre calling something the SS and it doesn't come in a manual you should be shot..
Oh come on.. GM has offered "SS" models for over fifty years with automatic transmissions! More importantly perhaps, check out the Impala from the 1961-on versions(some weren't even performance packages). There are other things too, for example, the 1994-6 Impala SS was only available with an automatic transmission. It's a large car, not a Corvette.

saw it in arlington too, very nice car inside. but ist still just a G8 underneath, which you can easilly pick up for low or under 20k
I think the G8 looks better, but I'm not about to claim it's a better bet, even at 20k, against this car. That's an apples to oranges comparison anyway. It's like saying that you should buy a 2002 Camaro instead of a 2014 model because the older one could be upgraded more easily. People who want a new car don't actually care what a used car offers in most cases. In a case like this, they might want exclusivity.
Old 06-08-2013, 11:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by TonyGXP
It looks like they improved everything where it really counts.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/automotiv...vrolet-ss.html
Old 06-09-2013, 12:10 AM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Agreed 100%. I've always had more of an affinity to GT cruisers and big bruiser sedans over dedicated sports cars. There's something about running down "sporty" cars with a trunk full of groceries that I find appealing.

I do like the look of the SS, but I feel small tweaks to make it look more aggressive would be very welcome. Maybe down the line once (or if) the LS3 is replaced by the LT1 and a manual is offered, GM will spice up the looks a bit.

Originally Posted by TonyGXP
not different enough from the G8 imo.. And priced a bit too high. $39,999 sounds alot better than the inflated MSRP you know they won't sell for.. GM droppin the ball on the SS..

Mirrors are pretty low on the visuals list especially when the design doesn't stand out good or bad to begin with. I really loved the G8 when it first debuted, but when it came time to actually spend some time in one, I was pretty ho-hum about the interior. The materials and build quality were decent enough, but the design was rather boring. It was a pretty straight forward layout that didn't have the same energy that the sheetmetal provided.

The price is a bit high on the SS, but hopefully down the road they up the ante with an LT1. At that price I feel the price would be easier to swallow. Now hopefully GM will just replace the engine outright and now shoot themselves in the foot by continuing to offer the LS3 in a "base" SS while offering the LT1 in an uplevel model that starts out at 50k.
Old 06-09-2013, 11:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Old 06-10-2013, 07:37 AM
12 Second Club

LOL - Not much of a crowd around that AWESOME new SS!!

Quick Reply: 2014 LS3 Chevrolet Super Sport sedan Pricing Released