Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

2014 LS3 Chevrolet Super Sport sedan Pricing Released

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 10:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BAD2000TA
LOL - Not much of a crowd around that AWESOME new SS!!
Probably because everyone thought it was the redesigned Malibu.
Old 06-10-2013, 10:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the new C7 vette grew on me, especially the rear, but this thing still hasn't done anything but make me dislike it more and more everytime I see it.

may be a little better of a car, with just a shred of less weight, but still same ol ls3, same ol tranny options, half the car is still the same. just blehh
Old 06-10-2013, 12:49 PM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

To be fair, it looks to be sandwiched between a convertible ZL1 and some kind of 30s-40s Suburban / Trailblazer SS hybrid.

I actually think the looks translate better in real world shots instead of the digital glamor shots GM first released.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So it is LS3 and not L99?
Old 06-10-2013, 04:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whatever engine is really is, the only bright spot aside from that engine would be a few interior bits. It just doesn't look appealing, even as a sleeper. It looks 100% bland and boring. I think they'd have done much better to more closely resemble the G8 itself. This thing looks like ... a Malibu, basically.
Old 06-10-2013, 04:33 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

This thing makes the 04 GTOs look exciting.

YAAAAAWWWWWWNNNNNN
Old 06-10-2013, 11:07 PM
TECH Veteran

My Dream Cruise photos of the 2004 GTO and 2008 G8 were exactly the same.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think you guys are still missing the point. It's not supposed to be "exciting", it's just a family sedan you can have (a lot of) fun in and be comfortable at the same time. They aren't marketing it towards the corvette/Camaro crowd, because if that's the aggressive styling you want-you'd just buy one of those cars instead.

Put it this way, think of the comments and the reception of about 98% of enthusiasts and the people on this board if GM announced "The all new 2014 4-door Camaro." or "The new 2014 C7 Corvette Stingray sedan"
Old 06-11-2013, 12:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If its a family car and supposed to be boring it shouldn't have a name like super sport.

/.02
Old 06-11-2013, 07:15 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Bowtie502
If its a family car and supposed to be boring it shouldn't have a name like super sport.

/.02
Agreed. The name is where they really missed the mark, IMO. The styling by itself makes sense to me, but not when combined with the name. Those are the wrong shoes for this car to wear (never mind them being too big to fill).

I would've honestly rather it been called the Citation SS, Lumina SS, or the Celebrity SS over just "Super Sport" lol.

Biscayne, Del Ray even?
Old 06-11-2013, 01:20 PM
TECH Veteran

That's what the Malibu and Impala are for (or for lining Avis and Enterprise lots actually).

This is for people who need space plus want their muscle car thrills like those who buy Chargers and those who bought G8s before.

It has 400hp, it's RWD and designed to move, the name is appropriate. Moreso than a lot of other vehicles that have been wearing SS the past decade or so.
Old 06-11-2013, 04:28 PM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MasterTomos
Agreed. The name is where they really missed the mark, IMO. The styling by itself makes sense to me, but not when combined with the name. Those are the wrong shoes for this car to wear (never mind them being too big to fill).

I would've honestly rather it been called the Citation SS, Lumina SS, or the Celebrity SS over just "Super Sport" lol.

Biscayne, Del Ray even?
I'm ok with the name, but if it had to be anything else I would best say they should've just called it a Commodore. Citation, Lumina, and Celebrity just remind me of shitty 80s-90s cars, as I'm sure they do with most other Americans who would be old enough to purchase the SS.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:57 PM
TECH Addict

/.02
You're absolutely not alone in that sentiment! I'd have preferred a name like Impala SS or even some other old nameplate, even CAPRICE SS! Just using "SS" brings too many performance thoughts to the table, even though GM used "SS" for a non-performance package in the 60's. Most people don't know that. They know "SS" to mean performance model.

On another note: Chrysler NAILED IT with the 300 series. It's a stunningly beautiful LAND BARGE with positive performance and ample room for nearly the whole ball club, bats and gloves included. It's also fairly elegant and reviews were all positive for that one. In comparison, GM's similar new SS just isn't as easy on the eyes. Let's hope it performs, not only better than it looks, but better than the 300 SRT8.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MasterTomos

Biscayne, Del Ray even?
Originally Posted by It'llrun
You're absolutely not alone in that sentiment! I'd have preferred a name like Impala SS or even some other old nameplate, even CAPRICE SS! Just using "SS" brings too many performance thoughts to the table, even though GM used "SS" for a non-performance package in the 60's. Most people don't know that. They know "SS" to mean performance model.

On another note: Chrysler NAILED IT with the 300 series. It's a stunningly beautiful LAND BARGE with positive performance and ample room for nearly the whole ball club, bats and gloves included. It's also fairly elegant and reviews were all positive for that one. In comparison, GM's similar new SS just isn't as easy on the eyes. Let's hope it performs, not only better than it looks, but better than the 300 SRT8.
100% agree with both statements.

and the SRT 300's last model and current model are both really really nice and well performing cars, thats a lot for it to stack up against.
Old 06-12-2013, 05:17 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by justin455
I'm ok with the name, but if it had to be anything else I would best say they should've just called it a Commodore. Citation, Lumina, and Celebrity just remind me of shitty 80s-90s cars, as I'm sure they do with most other Americans who would be old enough to purchase the SS.
I completely agree with the shitty 80s-90s car association thing, but there was some terrible versions of more sacred name plates in the past.

Lest we not forget

1973-77 Chevelles and GTO's

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:19...Laguna_S3_.jpg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:73-GTO-Wiki-01.JPG

1980-1998 skylarks, and my personal favorite the 1988-1993 Pontiac Lemans

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:%2..._Hatchback.jpg

At least if you took a name like Lumina or Celebrity, you'd be starting with a **** nameplate and making it into an awesome car, rather than the other way around.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I do not believer there was ever a Chevrolet Super Sport. There was an [enter model] Super Sport. Caprice name is currently used by the Holden Senator in Chevrolet badging which is similar but longer than the Commodore.

I suppose GM used the SS nomenclature to tie in with NASCAR.
Old 06-12-2013, 01:20 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I think it's called the "Super Sport" because they knew if they called that thing a Chevelle the public would have their heads worse than the GTO haterade from the revival of that nameplate.
Old 06-12-2013, 06:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes, I thought that as well considering the GTO fallout but that was because retro was in circa 2004. Biscayne SS is an elegant name and I am that demographic of prospective buyers. This car, aside from the bow-tie emblems, appears upscale. Should have been a Buick.

A new set of wheels and wider tires and an aggressive paint scheme and the SS will appear quite nice I am sure.

Regarding the price...the larger Caprice sold here to LEOs stickered at a bit under $31,000 on/about Jan 2013 for unused 2012 models. My brother was looking at a few. They were very basic with the G8 GT 6.0 Litre. None of the upscale interior, LS3 or infotainment stuff of the SS.

Last edited by Felix C; 06-12-2013 at 06:59 PM.
Old 06-12-2013, 06:56 PM
TECH Addict

That may be... I think they'd have been better calling it "the all new ______________ SS!" Something... anything to get a buzz. "SS" got a buzz, but from the performance crowd, it's not getting the attention they really want. Of course, if it comes out and lights up the Camaro SS... Then all is to be forgiven.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:30 AM
TECH Veteran

They could have called this Impala SS and left the standard FWD model they just released as Impala LT, LTZ, etc, there isn't a problem with two cars sharing a common name. But they didn't and I don't think it makes a difference.

Years ago they were planning to base the new Impala on this car instead of the fullsize FWD platform, that changed with the bankruptcy and high fuel prices. We're lucky we're getting this car at all.

Quick Reply: 2014 LS3 Chevrolet Super Sport sedan Pricing Released