Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Revealed - All-New 2015 Cadillac Escalade

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 06:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That column shifter is fine, really. After all, look at the fact it's entirely out of the way and nobody will think twice about it when driving or riding in the vehicle... So long as it works, it's all good. It may not look as "cool" as the newer stuff we're seeing elsewhere, but there's honestly never really been a need to fix what ain't broken...
Old 10-14-2013, 09:27 PM
***Repost Police***

For an automobile in the market that the Escalade is in, there is absolutely a need to fix what isn't broken. GM is attempting to position Cadillac as a world-leader in innovation and design...gotta be willing to play the part.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There was no need for push button starts either but everyone loves that ****
Old 10-15-2013, 01:47 AM
Teching In

Not for me! Probably cost close to 80K. Rather get something else for that kind of $$$.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm sorry, (and I hope noone takes offense because I mean this is the most pansie loving, puppy cuddling way possible), but if the gear lever bothers you, then this probably isn't the SUV for you. The Escalade isn't for some 150lb pencil dick that has to look over lovingly at his 400lb wife and ask, "Buttercup, would it be acceptable to you if I moved the gear selector dial to the 2 position so that I can surpass this Prius going 20MPH in front of us? I promise I won't exceed 30MPH, sweetikins!" The Escalade is the Luxury SUV for the man (or woman) who wants to reach up, grab the shifter, drop it down into 1st and slam the pedal to the floor, launching into a four-wheel burnout, unleashing a horrifying roar from that 6.2L LSX and leaving the afore-mentioned Prius driver shaking in fear! Then you slow down for the school zone and drop the kids off at school. I mean look at the size of that thing! That's not a shifter you pull gently under-handed into the "D" position. You grab that f'er forehanded and shove it into gear.
If you've ever driven an Escalade you know what I mean. For those of you that don't understand, Infinity makes a full-size luxury SUV that might be better suited for you.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

after having sooooo many vehicles with the column shifter, id much rather turn that dial to "**** you" mode and slam the gas
Old 10-15-2013, 10:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 171 Likes on 119 Posts

Sorry 99FRC, but I disagree, and I don't fall into your Buttercup category at all (grew up on a farm and have been driving trucks and GM SUVs for 20+ years).

Escalade is in a Luxury market and is based (as it always has been) on the GM 1/2 ton platform - hence the same shifter being used in all the new GM 1/2 tons.

Speaking of 1/2 tons, here is what has been available for more than 3 years from GM competitors:

Ram 1500

Ford F150

Toyota Tundra

Nissan Titan

I don't know about you, but I would rather pull back a nice center console shifter and mash my foot to the floor, than a 40 year old column shifter. I guess I need to put on weight...
Old 10-15-2013, 10:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

^^^^

Those things are hideous! Look how gorgeous the console looks in the Escalade. Surely you would want one of those ugly things protruding from it.
Ok, obviously I was being facetious about the love of the shifter lever, but a dial? Come on! Or one of those ridiculous levers?
Since we're looking for a real upgrade befitting an Escalade, can we all agree on paddle shifters? Now that would be Escalade worthy!
Old 10-15-2013, 12:11 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 99FRC
The Escalade isn't for some 150lb pencil dick that has to look over lovingly at his 400lb wife and ask, "Buttercup, would it be acceptable to you if I moved the gear selector dial to the 2 position so that I can surpass this Prius going 20MPH in front of us?
lmfao
Old 10-15-2013, 02:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 171 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by 99FRC
^^^^

Those things are hideous! Look how gorgeous the console looks in the Escalade. Surely you would want one of those ugly things protruding from it.
Ok, obviously I was being facetious about the love of the shifter lever, but a dial? Come on! Or one of those ridiculous levers?
Since we're looking for a real upgrade befitting an Escalade, can we all agree on paddle shifters? Now that would be Escalade worthy!
Hahaha! +1 for paddle shifters. But you still need to select P-R-N-D. Maybe pushbuttons and paddles like the new Ferrari F12??

Old 10-15-2013, 09:12 PM
TECH Addict

Paddle shifters would be the only way to "move up" in the gear selector area. The others don't really look better(if as good) and they waste space as compared to any column mounted version. As long as it's not a "3 on the tree" manual, the column is as good a place as anywhere within the drivers' reach. It's really not there for form, just function. It's not going to help performance, but it will help leaving space for the notebook(engineers, architects, others who can actually afford to waste their money on such a ride) or even your coffee mug or thermos, or anything else you may wanna leave in the center of the vehicle and wouldn't be able to if a shifter handle were in your way.

I don't see this shifter costing Cadillac any sales in the end. Besides, what other vehicle are serious Escalade buyers likely to choose? The only real choices are the Navigator(which is nice, but very different, really, than the Escalade) or the Lexus(LX470) and while the Lincoln probably costs thousands less, the Lexus costs thousands more, and its console looks like this...

http://media.carbook.com/MediaGaller...11a_640_20.png
Old 10-15-2013, 09:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

or the audi or the Porsche or the VW or the infinity or the Mercedes..
Old 10-15-2013, 09:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Maybe I'm missing something, but where are the lower gears on the Ram? And why does it zig-zag? A little annoying IMO.
The Ford looks ok.
That Tundra looks ridiculous. Zig-zag pattern on meth.
The Titan is better than the Tundra but still a little convoluted. Most of the gears in a row (aside from zig-zag stupidity), then 1st is next to 2nd like they ran out of room and just stuck it there.

The column shifter may be old school in its way, but it does clean up the console a lot.
Old 10-16-2013, 01:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Hard to get road head with a shifter in the way. Column shifter FTW!!!!!

Just saying
Old 10-16-2013, 06:26 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I'd drive it.
Old 10-16-2013, 11:17 AM
Staging Lane

I don't care how you select gears, as long as it is not voice activated. An auto is the same to me if it is button, lever, column, stick, switch, dial...

Interior is awesome. Tail lights are hideous.
Old 10-16-2013, 11:26 AM
TECH Regular

If it had to be a center console stick my vote would actually go with the Jap sticks. I prefer the push to the side and pull back method over the push a button and jerk back while holding the button down method in the domestic trucks.

The Jap trucks are stupid, I just like their shifters more.
Old 10-16-2013, 11:40 AM
10 Second Club

Received 423 Likes on 335 Posts

Just another oversized station wagon. If someone really needs that much room a nice conversion van is much better.
Old 10-16-2013, 11:51 AM
Ls1tech & Truck Sponsor

It's growing on me as I look through the pics for a second time.

-Garrett
Old 10-16-2013, 10:50 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Tainted
or the audi or the Porsche or the VW or the infinity or the Mercedes..
They may, but for my money, the only one I'd truly consider(aside from Lincoln, being an American vehicle) would be the QX56, because it's really closest to the Escalade on all fronts, plus it starts at about 5 grand less and gets slightly better economy with roughly matching power and torque. Otherwise, may as well opt for the smaller GL550 4matic, which costs more than the top edition current Escalade, but has far more standard/optional pieces. Most of these offerings probably aren't on the radar of the average Escalade buyer, either due to price, luxury or in many cases, because they don't even know the others exist, regardless how much they cost. The Q is sweet though, imo.

Quick Reply: Revealed - All-New 2015 Cadillac Escalade