Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Revealed - All-New 2015 Chevrolet Colorado

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 03:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by It'llrun
I looked all over for the tow capacity, which GM simply hasn't got on their website about the Colorado. That said, I've read that the max rating is 7k and, like you, I've read that more is expected w/ the diesel.

The 3.6L may be the limiting factor, but w/ all the torque and power it makes, it seems unlikely. Any diesel they may add will be better for towing in general, so if their suspension, etc. is ready for more weight, GREAT!

Due to engine weight and position, I suspect the diesel would feel more comfortable, but it's also bound to be and therefore, feel, smoother in contrast to any gas engine struggling along. That said, I don't see GM allowing any Colorado diesel or otherwise, to even get close to full size tow capacity... it's like making the Camaro quicker than the Corvette and selling for less. Dat dont make no sense.

Also, I definitely agree that any serious buyer is going to consider a full size for the same price against the diesel w/ less power and less tow capacity. Am I wrong to think the full size w/ a hitch has a 7k plus tow capacity automatically?
I've read about the tow rating in press releases, but will admit that I have not looked at the Colorado on Chevy's website since the release. It would be surprising if it weren't there, since it is a best in class rating, but I'll take your word for it.

The HP and TQ in the 3.6 is deceiving. I recently bought my wife a '15 Equinox with the 3.6, and I drove a new Colorado with the 3.6, and I am not impressed with that engine. Once it is up and moving the vehicles seem to do fine, but from a stop they are absolute dogs until about 15-20 miles per hour. The big reason why people wanted the 4.3 over this 3.6 was for low-end torque. GM said the 3.6 would be fine. In my personal opinion, they are wrong. I've yet to drive a 4.3 Silverado, but I can't imagine it being slower off the line than the 3.6 Colorado is. That's the main reason I was wanting the diesel.

As far as max tow ratings on the Colorado vs. the Silverado, I can't imagine any scenario where the new Colorado's tow rating exceeds 7K. Ever. I can't remember what the base tow rating on the Silverado is (with the 3.08 gears and no tow package), but I'd imagine it would be close (if not better) than a max rating on a Colorado. That said, 7K is still a lot of weight, so a diesel Colorado may be enough for a lot of people's towing needs, while filling that niche of being easier to manage in the bigger cities. There's just no scenario where I'd consider a 3.6 Colorado over even a 4.3 Silverado, even though I would like the smaller size. In my opinion for my personal needs, it would be stupid, and I honestly would hate living with the 3.6 for anything besides daily driving duties.

Originally Posted by ramairroughneck
Hmmm. A diesel mid size truck or a full size v8 thats not cramped. Let me think about this for about two seconds. Yup. Silverado. I honestly only see a market for lesser optioned Colorados. A well equipped one just doesn't make much sense for most people. I will be very surprised if there are many people that opt for a diesel.
The market is there, but probably not a big market. Mainly off-road enthusiasts and people that live in the bigger cities (who want a smaller, yet still capable truck), but the market is there. I can honestly say I was 100% set on getting an All-Terrain Canyon CCRB 4x4 with the diesel engine, but "life happened" and my priorities have changed. That and apparently GM won't be offering the diesel in the Canyon. So yeah...
Old 04-09-2015, 07:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ramairroughneck
Hmmm. A diesel mid size truck or a full size v8 thats not cramped. Let me think about this for about two seconds. Yup. Silverado. I honestly only see a market for lesser optioned Colorados. A well equipped one just doesn't make much sense for most people. I will be very surprised if there are many people that opt for a diesel.
I would only be interested in well equipped. These aren't work trucks. They're great for little stuff, like going to the beach or light off-roading. They're also great for using less fuel and getting into slightly smaller than normal(which is normal these days) parking spaces... and out again.

When you look closely, they're not much smaller than a full size.

Now that I've gone over that, I still chose a full size myself, but that wa about PRICING rather than fun factors. I'm not spending 37k plus for a mid-size pickup, but that's me.

Originally Posted by Z Fury
I've read about the tow rating in press releases, but will admit that I have not looked at the Colorado on Chevy's website since the release. It would be surprising if it weren't there, since it is a best in class rating, but I'll take your word for it.
Here's what I was looking at... http://www.chevrolet.com/colorado-sm...ecs/trims.html

I looked at a dealer site and there, I found 7k as the max towing.

The HP and TQ in the 3.6 is deceiving. I recently bought my wife a '15 Equinox with the 3.6, and I drove a new Colorado with the 3.6, and I am not impressed with that engine. Once it is up and moving the vehicles seem to do fine, but from a stop they are absolute dogs until about 15-20 miles per hour.
DOHC... in a nutshell. Even w/ good power on the low end(which the 3.6 lacks), they're so smooth to ramp up that it's hard to "feel the power" until you're hearing it.

The big reason why people wanted the 4.3 over this 3.6 was for low-end torque. GM said the 3.6 would be fine. In my personal opinion, they are wrong. I've yet to drive a 4.3 Silverado, but I can't imagine it being slower off the line than the 3.6 Colorado is. That's the main reason I was wanting the diesel.
No, the 3.6L won't have the low end torque, but a diesel isn't going to feel helpful in stock form. The diesel is low on torque in my opinion and it's absolutely low on power. That's why I think Ford didn't use their 3.2L in the 1/2 ton... way low on power.

As far as max tow ratings on the Colorado vs. the Silverado, I can't imagine any scenario where the new Colorado's tow rating exceeds 7K. Ever. I can't remember what the base tow rating on the Silverado is (with the 3.08 gears and no tow package), but I'd imagine it would be close (if not better) than a max rating on a Colorado.
I think it's about 7k... maybe 7,050. Maybe I'm off and it's as low as 5k. Still, it's going to do it much, much better just due to size.

That said, 7K is still a lot of weight, so a diesel Colorado may be enough for a lot of people's towing needs, while filling that niche of being easier to manage in the bigger cities. There's just no scenario where I'd consider a 3.6 Colorado over even a 4.3 Silverado, even though I would like the smaller size. In my opinion for my personal needs, it would be stupid, and I honestly would hate living with the 3.6 for anything besides daily driving duties.
For me personally, there's no 4.3L that will do. If I'm going to Silverado, it has to have a 5.3L or the monster 6.2L for real capability. Enough on this... 7k is indeed enough and more for most of us. Recently, I had to go haul a pickup over... 1st item I towed and the total of the load was surely no more than 6k.

That said, I'm using a 4X4 and I don't think a 4X4 Colorado would handle that load worth crap. My tow rating is 7,350... and w/ a load leveler, that would be EASY... I didn't have one! I had to shift that load just to add front wheel traction. I loaded from a driveway onto my trailer, but my truck was on a dirt road... I nailed the brakes from only about 5mph and SLID... that was funny, but that's all the clue I need. For stuff like that... Silverado, F150, RAM1500... Titan, Tundra... something I trust.

The market is there, but probably not a big market. Mainly off-road enthusiasts and people that live in the bigger cities (who want a smaller, yet still capable truck), but the market is there. I can honestly say I was 100% set on getting an All-Terrain Canyon CCRB 4x4 with the diesel engine, but "life happened" and my priorities have changed. That and apparently GM won't be offering the diesel in the Canyon. So yeah...
I looked over several options and the Canyon seemed to cost more while the Colorado was already over-priced. I had ALL that stuff in mind and I also think that's where the market will be. I also think it will sell very well if it's as good as it seems to be. I looked at the Colorado again today... I do like them... I really do. However, I couldn't justify spending as much for a well equipped Colorado as for a full size which is more capable w/o question and will hold resale much better in my best estimation.
Old 04-09-2015, 07:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Overall I think we're in agreement on everything. Regarding the Silverado, I'd only want a 5.3 (or the 6.2) as well, but was using the 4.3 for comparative reasons against the Colorado's 3.6. The 4.3 would have been great in the lighter Colorado.
Old 04-10-2015, 06:31 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Z Fury
Overall I think we're in agreement on everything. Regarding the Silverado, I'd only want a 5.3 (or the 6.2) as well, but was using the 4.3 for comparative reasons against the Colorado's 3.6. The 4.3 would have been great in the lighter Colorado.
We... are.

My only wish is that Chevy dealer employees would've given me more reason to buy a GM. In 2013, they were largely just plain moronic and this year, the same. I knew more about them than they did ... but... I'd have likely bought a 2015 1500 4X4 LT if... if... only I didn't have an idiot introduce himself and tell me "all about" the 1500(and every other GM) in ways I'd never want to hear. It was sad.
Old 04-15-2015, 02:15 AM
***Repost Police***

I can't wait for the next round of the Frontier and Tacoma. I absolutely loved my '05 Frontier (first year of the current design), but it is definitely in need of a complete redesign.
Old 04-15-2015, 03:52 AM
12 Second Club

I'm 50/50 on it
Old 05-08-2015, 12:48 AM
ZV8
12 Second Club

The colorado is so dumb, just get a fullsize truck. Make an s10 sized truck again and actually have a size difference for a small truck not this mid size bullshit. I want a light duty truck that can get 30+mpg, haul some lumber, or a fridge or whetever occasionaly but also be a sporty regular cab with a manual that i can drive everyday and be able to go and fit around town like a small car. Why is that sooo hard to make happen?
Old 05-08-2015, 11:52 AM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ZV8
The colorado is so dumb, just get a fullsize truck. Make an s10 sized truck again and actually have a size difference for a small truck not this mid size bullshit. I want a light duty truck that can get 30+mpg, haul some lumber, or a fridge or whetever occasionaly but also be a sporty regular cab with a manual that i can drive everyday and be able to go and fit around town like a small car. Why is that sooo hard to make happen?
Because of the same reason why the Cruze is the size of a Malibu from 12 years ago.
Old 05-08-2015, 12:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

I needed to trade in my 2012 GMC Sierra extended cab on a crew cab as I have a new baby on the way and needed room for two car seats. The Colorado/Canyon was the frontrunner until I went to look at them in person. On paper, it seems the back seat of the crew cab is quite large. But, in person, I'm not sure if it was any bigger than the backseat of my extended cab Sierra. After seeing that, I marked it off the list and ended up with a 2014 Silverado crew cab with the standard box and I'm very happy with my decision.
Old 05-08-2015, 11:36 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ZV8
Answer your own question. Can you make that happen? If so, get on it. If not, consider an old S10 or the like. Americans tend to want larger(more comfortable) vehicles and trucks are no exception.

30mpg in a pickup... may as well toss in a diesel when you get that old S10.

Originally Posted by PAGregSS
After seeing that, I marked it off the list and ended up with a 2014 Silverado crew cab with the standard box and I'm very happy with my decision.
I'd think that was a fine decision. The only reason I passed on that is the made in Mexico part. Don't hate that, just want American.
Old 05-09-2015, 12:42 AM
***Repost Police***

Saw one the other day on the road; thought it was an '05 Tacoma at first.

Quick Reply: Revealed - All-New 2015 Chevrolet Colorado