Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Tundra gets a diesel option for 2015

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 12:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A turbo diesel F-150 would be pretty cool.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:23 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ill say this, my dad works for VW of chattanooga (the dealership as an Finance and Insurance Manager) he told me you would have to drive over 800 miles a week for the car to pay itself from saving money on not having to fill up as much bc the vw diesel gets such good mpg.

Now with that said, diesel is higher than gas prices in the state's, thus understanding why my dad said that, but great mpg trucks with diesel engines in them might not be as good as one thinks.

Assuming my dad is right the same principle should apply to the new diesel trucks that get great mpg.

If diesel in the states was cheaper than gas then i would buy one and the money you would save not filling up all the time would truly pay for its self.

If im wrong please let me know
Old 02-26-2014, 12:44 AM
***Repost Police***

It also depends on how long you keep your cars, and what value you place on having the enormous torque advantage that diesel engines have over gasoline engines. It isn't just a numbers game.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:47 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
It also depends on how long you keep your cars, and what value you place on having the enormous torque advantage that diesel engines have over gasoline engines. It isn't just a numbers game.
That, plus diesel engines sell for more in the aftermarket as well as when new, just not at much more. There's also the fact that the typical diesel lasts longer and that coincides with the higher cost, but also can save money over the life of the vehicle in maintenance.

Along with those things, trucks hold value much better than cars on average, so it will only hold that much more.

I just hope that not too many people get caught up in the idea that since they can now get a diesel in a 1/2 ton truck, it will perform like, thus removing the need for, a 3/4 or 1 ton. It's concerning because many people seem to think that due to torque output, the diesel will simply tow more. That's not the case. It's an entire package.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:46 AM
Banned

Your right Americans own more vehicles than anyone in the world.(Last i heard anyways) That being said we tend to keep vehicle's longer or buy used vehicle's. If people properly use these new high mpg diesel trucks for what's it is designed to do then I am sure it will save the owner money. If the owners think because of the high trq numbers and start to tow more than what is recommended by the manufacture then i can see them not lasting as long. Good points though irun11s and itllrun i didnt think of it in those aspects.
Old 02-26-2014, 02:29 PM
TECH Addict

I would be interested in the diesel 1500 (Not Toyota or Nissan) mostly for mileage and longevity. I do not require more capability than a 1500 delivers, and i tend to keep cars a long time.
Old 02-26-2014, 03:16 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SSCamaro99_3
I would be interested in the diesel 1500 (Not Toyota or Nissan) mostly for mileage and longevity. I do not require more capability than a 1500 delivers, and i tend to keep cars a long time.
Then your wait is over... See you're local Dodge...er... RAM dealership!

They are currently claiming 28mpg, or about the same as a 2015 F-150 may get, depending on engine(no diesels though), which kinda surprises me. I honestly expected more. What totally surprises me though, is how wretched their website is and how difficult it is to "build" one w/ a diesel at all. According to that, expect about 39k, but on the other hand... it still says the diesel is unavailable... That's supposedly not true, so go for it!
Old 02-26-2014, 06:13 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Main problem with diesels now is they are trying to make so much power and comply with more strict emissions. That puts a ton of strain on the parts and repair costs are stupid expense. The old diesels that lasted forever didn't make 1/2 the power of new diesels. A guy at work just sank $6,000 in repairs and preventive maintenance on his stock f250 with 80000 miles. IMO unless you desperately have to have a diesel a 1/2 ton gasser will probably come out better in the long majority of the time.
Old 02-26-2014, 06:49 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 726.0chevelle
Main problem with diesels now is they are trying to make so much power and comply with more strict emissions. That puts a ton of strain on the parts and repair costs are stupid expense. The old diesels that lasted forever didn't make 1/2 the power of new diesels. A guy at work just sank $6,000 in repairs and preventive maintenance on his stock f250 with 80000 miles. IMO unless you desperately have to have a diesel a 1/2 ton gasser will probably come out better in the long majority of the time.
That truck must be really old while somehow having almost no mileage on it.

Why anyone would need to rebuild a diesel with only 80k on it is beyond me unless they seriously abused it the entire time... like letting it idle non-stop for years on end in the FL or south TX or AZ heat, or maybe the drained the oil or coolant and ran the engine without replacing it. It just doesn't make sense that it would only last that long. My last 7.3 was fine at 208k + when I sold it and the current 6.0 is well over 130k and running fine as well. Then again, "maintenance" actually has meaning for me.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:06 PM
Banned

Diesels do cost more to maintain there is no doubt in that but at the same time there is no way i can see a diesel breaking at 80k unless its a ford :p jk... seriously though if you take care of the engine gas/diesel then they will last for a long time. Did your friend let the preventive maintenance pile up? But with the cleaner diesel that is basically becoming the standard i dont see how it hurts diesel engines if anything it helps them. I could be wrong, i do not have a petroleum engineering degree but i dont think the oil companies are gonna add stuff to their fuel that would hurt engines just imo if im wrong let me know.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:45 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by It'llrun
That truck must be really old while somehow having almost no mileage on it.

Why anyone would need to rebuild a diesel with only 80k on it is beyond me unless they seriously abused it the entire time... like letting it idle non-stop for years on end in the FL or south TX or AZ heat, or maybe the drained the oil or coolant and ran the engine without replacing it. It just doesn't make sense that it would only last that long. My last 7.3 was fine at 208k + when I sold it and the current 6.0 is well over 130k and running fine as well. Then again, "maintenance" actually has meaning for me.
Not a rebuild many break downs on the 6.0's can cost 3000 plus. He was having a coolant leak and redid the whole egr cooler and had to change oil coolers. Then brought it back for filter checks after the work and it was throwing a code exhaust leaking near the turbo and that was another lick. Count yourself very lucky that your 6.0 hasn't run up some huge bills YET.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:00 PM
Banned

Not a rebuild many break downs on the 6.0's can cost 3000 plus. He was having a coolant leak and redid the whole egr cooler and had to change oil coolers. Then brought it back for filter checks after the work and it was throwing a code exhaust leaking near the turbo and that was another lick. Count yourself very lucky that your 6.0 hasn't run up some huge bills YET.
Damn man sry to hear that sounds like some bad luck
Old 02-26-2014, 09:01 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by "MAC"
Diesels do cost more to maintain there is no doubt in that but at the same time there is no way i can see a diesel breaking at 80k unless its a ford :p jk... seriously though if you take care of the engine gas/diesel then they will last for a long time. Did your friend let the preventive maintenance pile up? But with the cleaner diesel that is basically becoming the standard i dont see how it hurts diesel engines if anything it helps them. I could be wrong, i do not have a petroleum engineering degree but i dont think the oil companies are gonna add stuff to their fuel that would hurt engines just imo if im wrong let me know.
Actually it was a Ford 6.0 old dude takes good care of it 100% stock. The emissions are hurting the new diesels and driving up costs. Some say the low sulfur diesel is whats eating up injectors and that can easily run 2000 plus. And the super high fuel pressure makes for expensive injector and lift pumps a dude I know had a cummins both went out and it was like 3600. All of the dpf and converter bs makes high egts that's what hurts a lot of 6.0s. Don't get me wrong I don't hate diesels I wouldn't mind having one. I work with a lot people that pull campers a hand full of times a year that all drive diesels and some of their repair bills are scary and the majority are stock.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:18 PM
Banned

Good point lol. I definitely know how the injectors can be expensive my dad has had 3 or 4 Dodge 3500 Cummings turbo diesel trucks in the past while he used to build houses. He could afford the maintenance no problem but again who really likes spending that kind of money to get something fixed when you can literally buy another gas engine?

I wasn't aware of the inner linings of the injectors being eating away. That what it sounded like to me on what you was explaining. Im currently going thru material science class and i barley have an basic understanding on things like this but i do see what your saying.

Last edited by "MAC"; 02-26-2014 at 09:25 PM.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think sulfur is a natural lubricant, hence low sulfur diesel is bad. Maybe you should add some MMO or Lucas fuel treatment every tank? I'm not sure. All I know is I will be sticking with gas engines. I still think they are the economical choice both short and long term, unless you need a heavy truck.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:05 PM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

I hope everyone buys a diesel. Maybe that will drive down the price of gasoline for me.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by X-ray
I think sulfur is a natural lubricant, hence low sulfur diesel is bad. Maybe you should add some MMO or Lucas fuel treatment every tank? I'm not sure. All I know is I will be sticking with gas engines. I still think they are the economical choice both short and long term, unless you need a heavy truck.
Good point i mean you see the Corvette with stupid power and still get good mpg granted a truck n a vette is built entirely different but the drive line is the same no?
Old 02-26-2014, 11:51 PM
TECH Addict

It's got over 138,000 on it so far and things are pretty good. Better than much of what I read on forums, that's for sure. It went in for transmission solenoid issues and EGR concerns and was repaired by Ford at no cost. Otherwise, it gets horrible economy for a diesel and runs fine. My old 7.3 got FAR better economy.
Old 02-27-2014, 12:20 AM
***Repost Police***

Good point i mean you see the Corvette with stupid power and still get good mpg granted a truck n a vette is built entirely different but the drive line is the same no?
No. Seriously?
Old 02-27-2014, 12:57 AM
Banned

No. Seriously?
I mean the same as big power and trq and yet the truck doesn't get as good mpg remember the new vette isn't as light as it used to be and and a half ton truck weighs 4460lbs

http://m.autos.aol.com/2013-chevrole...do+1500/specs/

I just don't see how 1k lbs extra would make that truck have shittier mpg. I know weight and gearing help mpg but if they can make a vette with 450hp n trq or more get 30mpg im sure they can make a truck to do the same with an NA gas engine

Edit: or even an FI engine

Last edited by "MAC"; 02-27-2014 at 01:03 AM.

Quick Reply: Tundra gets a diesel option for 2015