Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

GM fighting against a recall

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 08:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default GM fighting against a recall

http://wallstcheatsheet.com/business...e.html/?ref=YF

It's not safety related, but your gauges could go haywire for a sec, while they reset, as you drive... you can read it..
Old 02-25-2014, 08:49 PM
On The Tree

It is a pretty trivial thing.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:25 PM
TECH Addict

I'm not convinced the nearly 300,000 owners of these brand new pickups will agree. If these were several yes old, I wouldn't care, but brand new... That just plain sucks. Oh well, I'm not working that out.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

If that happened to me I'd be like "WTH" and probably try my to replicate it and fail to, since it sounds like it is a very specific set of events necessary to trigger it. Weird glitch for sure.

It would bug me, but how much? Don't know. Enough to complain to GM? Probably. Enough to demand a recall over it? Probably not. Only thing I would ask would be a software update to correct the glitch and just move on with my life. A head scratcher but not something to get bent out of shape over.
Old 02-26-2014, 06:08 AM
On The Tree

Your asking them to support a 3rd party device that didn't come on the vehicle. I read something about a long file name causing the reset. I'm thinking more like a high current draw from the device's USB port pulling from the cluster's 5 volt logic circuit. But what do I know?
Old 02-26-2014, 06:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

this is what happens when you add an engine and wheels to a computer; this is no different then what a I encounter when I mess with, and try to "enhance," my computer, phone, etc. lol

The more complicated and robust you make something, the more issues you can have with it.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:30 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Blowerman
Your asking them to support a 3rd party device that didn't come on the vehicle. I read something about a long file name causing the reset. I'm thinking more like a high current draw from the device's USB port pulling from the cluster's 5 volt logic circuit. But what do I know?
Why, if it's the plugged in device causing the problem, isn't it happening to any other version of GM or non GM vehicle?

I wouldn't expect a recall, but NHTSA is apparently concerned that it's going to affect basically all those trucks at some point. I can't imagine it would, unless it turns out the glitch issue is really within the ECM rather than a problem for certain models of high end calibration... read: loaded with electronics.

Quick Reply: GM fighting against a recall