Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Hennessey Will Build A 717 HP Ford Mustang For The Price Of A Hellcat

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 08:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LEO
Looks absolutely killer, can't wait to see it perform. Only down side to it is the weak manual transmission they use.
I didn't want to bother with this, in hopes the whole "bad transmission" nonsense wouldn't take off again, but...

The 2015 Mustang doesn't get the the same version of the MT82 as previous Mustangs. Apparently, most people are content to talk about the car without reading about the car 1st. Nothing against you personally... it's all over the web. The fact is, the transmission has been upgraded, presumably due to the weight increase. Even so, people have run those factory stock 6spds unto the 10's as early as June of 2011 that I know of and well into the 9's by last year... they're not really a big problem. Idiots, rookies and wannabes who can't handle a manual are much more of a problem.

I'd think though, with 717hp, Hennessey would switch to a 6060 or something...
Originally Posted by itsslow98
I believe they are 11.5:1. Not to mention heads that flow pretty crazy numbers for a stock casting.
The Mustang 5L? Nah... 11:1.
Old 10-08-2014, 09:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 171 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by It'llrun
I didn't want to bother with this, in hopes the whole "bad transmission" nonsense wouldn't take off again, but...

The 2015 Mustang doesn't get the the same version of the MT82 as previous Mustangs. Apparently, most people are content to talk about the car without reading about the car 1st. Nothing against you personally... it's all over the web. The fact is, the transmission has been upgraded, presumably due to the weight increase. Even so, people have run those factory stock 6spds unto the 10's as early as June of 2011 that I know of and well into the 9's by last year... they're not really a big problem. Idiots, rookies and wannabes who can't handle a manual are much more of a problem.

I'd think though, with 717hp, Hennessey would switch to a 6060 or something...
The Mustang 5L? Nah... 11:1.
Good info, what year is Evan's Boss?
Old 10-08-2014, 09:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not a mustang it's a Hennessey. I don't know why he is doing this when you could just buy the new gt500 or a 13-14 gt500 with just as much power and get a better car all around.
Old 10-08-2014, 10:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by King's Z
60K USD is not a stupid price for a Hellcat rival with a 3-year warranty.
Hellcat comes with a badass interior too. This is a $25K upgrade to a $35K car, leaving you with a lot of power and boredom on the inside. Not that that is a terrible thing. Some people prefer minimalism on the interiors, and that is fine. My point is you're paying the same price for cloth seats, etc. You can build this same car on your own for much less - of course without the warranty, but the money you'd save could pay for a few repairs. And you wouldn't have Hennessey stickers all over your high powered Mustang.
Old 10-08-2014, 10:21 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by NW-99SS
Good info, what year is Evan's Boss?
I'm gonna take a guess that, based on the looks of the front end, it's a 2012.

Originally Posted by SCott5
Not a mustang it's a Hennessey.
What? Of course it's a Mustang... It says right away, the price will include the base Mustang GT... What else could that make it?

I don't know why he is doing this when you could just buy the new gt500 or a 13-14 gt500 with just as much power and get a better car all around.
He's doing it for a big profit. He'll sell them for 60k and spend about 40k to build them.

The 2013-2014 GT500 isn't a better all around car... that's clearly settled already. The new Mustang GT is far nicer, has more standard equipment, including things I don't believe are even available on the GT500... and not just IRS, but push button start and pretty much the entire dash. It won't be long and people will be upgrading the new GT to handle even better, but I'd look to STEEDA, SALEEN, BMR, Hotchkis, Eibach and maybe even ROUSH for that and I even expect several new entries to the market. There are already about a hundred who do suspensions.... but there will be more.
Old 10-08-2014, 11:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

The tranny that was in the 11-14 mustangs was fine, never let me down in 3 years, but I would prefer the tremec system for use in general. dodge agrees with their viper/challenger, chevy with the vette/Camaro and even Ford must think it a bit superior to put it in the gt500, but why not the base GT?

That was a let down for that model. The new one I'm sure will be quite functional, but I kind of wish ford went with what everyone else is using.
Old 10-08-2014, 11:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 171 Likes on 119 Posts

I'm gonna take a guess that, based on the looks of the front end, it's a 2012.
Not trying to argue, just curious as he had transmission issues. Don't want to blame driver either, but we know that car is getting used to it's full potential either way!
Old 10-08-2014, 11:51 AM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by itsslow98
I believe they are 11.5:1. Not to mention heads that flow pretty crazy numbers for a stock casting.
11.5:1 would be awesome, unfortunately it is 11.0:1.
Old 10-08-2014, 12:07 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by deft
The tranny that was in the 11-14 mustangs was fine, never let me down in 3 years, but I would prefer the tremec system for use in general. dodge agrees with their viper/challenger, chevy with the vette/Camaro and even Ford must think it a bit superior to put it in the gt500, but why not the base GT?

That was a let down for that model. The new one I'm sure will be quite functional, but I kind of wish ford went with what everyone else is using.
MONEY! That's the entire reason for the MT82 over the T6060 or any other Tremec.

Well, that and they liked the gear ratios better and it's not a given that Tremec was willing to make that and keep the price low. There's also the possibility that Tremec decided it didn't have the necessary provisions to build on that mass level. Considering everything else they offer, that makes sense.

Originally Posted by NW-99SS
Not trying to argue, just curious as he had transmission issues. Don't want to blame driver either, but we know that car is getting used to it's full potential either way!
Didn't he say he installed two plastic pieces, shift fork dogs or something... before he had issues?

Sadly, the "fix" most use would be cheap for the manufacturer to implement and maybe now... they have. The expensive part on the work is the labor. I'm just saying that based on a possibly bad memory... I never got involved with that transmission or work on it.
Old 10-20-2014, 03:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Lmfao at needing 17.25lbs of boost. It will make the 700hp+ on 7.25lbs of boost with that 2.9L blower.

So much hate and/or denial.
Old 10-20-2014, 04:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

So I wonder if the "Stainless steel exhaust system upgrade" Hennessey installs keeps it 100% emissions legal like the Hellcat..? If it does then it can be a fair comparison, otherwise a Hellcat with a set of long tube headers will likely add 25 hp to it's 707 hp rating.

Quick Reply: Hennessey Will Build A 717 HP Ford Mustang For The Price Of A Hellcat