Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Motor Trend TOTY

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 12:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Motor Trend TOTY

http://www.motortrend.com/oftheyear/truck/2015_chevrolet_colorado_is_the_motor_trend_truck_o f_the_year/

Hmm, I thought the aluminum Ford had this locked up.
Old 12-03-2014, 02:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Im glad they hold it in high regards. Im thinking about getting rid of my '13 Silverado for one as I don't need a V8 or a full size pickup really... seems like the perfect option for me.
Old 12-03-2014, 02:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

The Ford's numbers were underwhelming when compared to the hype that was initially generated. Combine that with the Colorado being a very large step up in the midsize market.

On one hand, this is a big win for GM with a brand-new product. On the other hand, it shows the full-size market isn't doing anything to redefine the segment.

Personally, I love the new Canyon and Colorado. Hopefully this award helps their marketing team and these trucks sell well. They need to build up the momentum for when the Tacoma and Frontier redesigns hit the streets in the next 1-2 years.
Old 12-03-2014, 05:40 PM
TECH Addict

RANT: MT has become a complete letdown to real vehicle people.

I'd never worry myself over the opinion of MT. We're talking about a group that just a week or two ago put out an article telling us all about how much better the RAM is to the competition and all but said GM pickups SUCK OUT LOUD ANY ANYTHING... while getting so many points of contention WRONG that it would literally change the outcome of their "subjective test" by simply having studied THEIR OWN information... Those folks are just plain stupid in the end, where vehicles are concerned.

Two quick examples from that article: MT stated that their F-150 max towing capability was... 5,000 lb. Now, the ONLY way that can be true is if no class IV receiver is installed and the truck in the tests actually had a 7,600 lb tow capacity... they refused to correct their error.. Plus, they CLAIMED that the F-150 tipped the scales(and claimed they actually weighed it) at 5,532 lb as I recall... Yeah, only it was NOT a 2014 model tested. It was the new 2015 which weighs less than 5k in the heaviest form available. Including all options, the heaviest version is around 5,300... but not 5,400 or more, but having said that, they always tend to lean toward smaller and they don't truly concern themselves with actual capability... Colorado has max towing of 7k... if ya need that much, but not 8k or even 10k... you move up to a full size.

Another "magazine" test... done by AutoGuide .com ... gave the win to F-150 and listed a SLEW of reasons for why... as it filtered off other competitors. One of their guys says the 3500HD is the best towing pickup available, but lacks manners compared to others here and is just too much truck for about 99% of the world. They rated the GMC CANYON as runner up.

1 thing you can bet they DON'T consider is... SALES... For November, Colorado sold less than 4,000 units and when combined with Canyon, sold only 5,503... the F-150 sells(as does the Silverado) far better. In fact, the F-150, last month... sold four times more, plus over 1,000 units... each and every day of the month than Colorado and Canyon sold combined... for the entire month.

The Silverado sold nearly 3 times more each day... than Colorado/Canyon did for the entire month... Silverado/Sierra combined... sold almost exactly the same number PER DAY as the smaller twins did all month total...

Don't get me wrong.... I actually like the V6 Canyon just fine and since it isn't a full size, it IS on my list for the next pickup I buy. I don't need or especially want the max options package, though I do want pull out ramps! I'd get the V6 version... for sure. That doesn't mean it's the best truck, just that it fits me needs for a better price than the competition as I personally perceive the value. Should I do that will all vehicles as opposed to actually considering their capability, I suspect the SPARK would head my list of "Car of the Year!"
Old 12-03-2014, 06:18 PM
TECH Addict

Almost forgot...

Motor Trend, true to their form over function approach, was GREATLY IMPRESSED with how the Colorado steering felt... and it's economy... and that it didn't feel all that small... and that it seems bigger than it's competition... Frontier? C'mon guys... get realistic.

The utter clowns at Motor Trend have lost a subscriber(3yrs ago almost) because they are no longer car/truck... vehicle people. They are writers who spend less time on the details than their feel-good stories and that bothers me. I do not respect their auto knowledge, let alone decision making skills concerning said autos.

<~ a review we get to see some of in action.

Like those guys explained... concerning which moved further forward in it's class, aside from the Colorado/Canyon being all new, entirely, the Ford moved more overall... it offers things you just cannot get on other trucks, but that you want. Yeah, that goes both ways, but I'm asking myself, would I need the ramps more or the bed toolboxes? I think the ramps because I already have toolboxes and can simply use a small one to carry all the tools I may need. Ya never know when you'll need the ramps... and you probably don't own a set already... let alone want to take up the space to carry them. I also want more than 7k towing... I just do because one never knows.

Quick Reply: Motor Trend TOTY