Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Chevrolet Takes a Look at the History of Camaro Design

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 10:49 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chevrolet Takes a Look at the History of Camaro Design

Chevrolet Takes a Look at the History of Camaro Design

Chevrolet asked five of the people responsible for styling within GM who own (or have owned) Camaros to give their opinions on what made each of the five generations of the Mustang-fighter distinctive and attractive.

Read the rest on the LS1Tech.com homepage. >>
Old 02-27-2015, 11:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I like how distinctly different each generation has been from the previous. The cars have enough similarities that you know it is a Camaro, but each design was really different from the prior.

I honestly don't think the 6th Gen will continue that trend. It will probably be as different from the 5th Gen as the LS1 Camaros ('98-'02) were from the LT1 Camaros ('93-'97).
Old 02-27-2015, 04:13 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the biggest difference in the 5th generation camaro is how much bigger and heavier it is than all previous generations.
Old 02-27-2015, 07:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Fast350Z
I think the biggest difference in the 5th generation camaro is how much bigger and heavier it is than all previous generations.
To be fair, the same can be said about almost every car. Safety regulations are the main reason, followed by people wanting more luxury (power seats weigh more, etc.) and technology in their cars.

I love my '99, but I'd be blind to think that the 5th Gens aren't safer, better built cars. Looks are subjective, but safety and durability are not.
Old 02-27-2015, 08:46 PM
Staging Lane

Actually I don't agree. While there are minute similarites between the f-body and zeta-body camaros, I believe that you could put a 1969 and 1996 together and you could see the transition somewhat across the generations. The new camaros are not by any means similar to the f-body camaros. But that ofcourse is my opinion
Old 02-27-2015, 10:18 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by alex722607
Actually I don't agree. While there are minute similarites between the f-body and zeta-body camaros, I believe that you could put a 1969 and 1996 together and you could see the transition somewhat across the generations. The new camaros are not by any means similar to the f-body camaros. But that ofcourse is my opinion
Zeta-body? That's what the fifth gen is? Learn something new everyday.
Old 02-28-2015, 12:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by alex722607
I think you can see the similarities between a 1st and 5th gen a bit easier than a 1st and 4th gen just from how the 5th gen took cues from the 1st gen to start with.
Old 02-28-2015, 11:12 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,692 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by Fast350Z
Heavier yes; bigger not so much. I don't know where people get this idea from, as the 4th gen is actually a longer car by 3 inches. I think the 5th gen "looks" bigger to people, but this perception is a matter of design I think.

Originally Posted by Z Fury
Looks are subjective, but safety and durability are not.
I agree in terms of safety, but IMO it's too soon to claim 5th gens as the more durable car. As the oldest ones are only 6 years old, most are still under the 5 year powertrain warranty while many are still under the bumper-to-bumper warranty. I would expect them to be relatively issue-free through the warranty period, but how well the additional complexities, gadgets and electronics hold up over the long term remains to be seen. Initial fit and finish should always be better on a newer car, but will the 5th gens be as easy and low cost to keep on the road as a 4th gen when they are 20 years old or more? Only time will tell, but increased complexities tend to create more opportunities for breakage over the long term.

Last edited by RPM WS6; 02-28-2015 at 11:39 AM.

Quick Reply: Chevrolet Takes a Look at the History of Camaro Design