Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

24hr LeMans media reminder June 13-15

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2015 | 08:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by It'llrun
The talk of a mid-engine Corvette is getting stronger and stronger... I kinda wonder nowadays.

I'm glad to see the GT heading back to Le Mans, but... aside from the fanfare, it's not that huge a deal. That is, there are other circuits and ways to advertise.

There was at least 1 Viper(LMGTE Am, not PRO) in the 24, but I thought it DNF. Is that what you meant by "hasn't returned to the same category?"
Correct. The haven't been competitive in the same class since Corvette's initial return with the C5R.
Old 06-24-2015 | 09:43 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by NW-99SS
Correct. The haven't been competitive in the same class since Corvette's initial return with the C5R.
I must admit, I think manufacturer backing makes the biggest difference anymore. Those who designed and built the car have the advantages on their side and when they have manufacturer backing to the point of basically endless money, they can make whatever they need to gain the edge.

When Viper had Dodge backing, it was nearly untouchable... I think it was Team Oreca, but whatever the name, it dominated endurance racing for years.
Old 06-24-2015 | 12:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by It'llrun
I must admit, I think manufacturer backing makes the biggest difference anymore. Those who designed and built the car have the advantages on their side and when they have manufacturer backing to the point of basically endless money, they can make whatever they need to gain the edge.

When Viper had Dodge backing, it was nearly untouchable... I think it was Team Oreca, but whatever the name, it dominated endurance racing for years.
Correct again. Team Orca remained in competition with the C5R during it's first year, and then the Viper group quit racing in that class.

Quick Reply: 24hr LeMans media reminder June 13-15