Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

z28 vs gt350 dyno shootout

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2015 | 08:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

All I know is thank God for the GT350. Without it, rivalries like the Z28 v GT350, couldn't happen, and the V8 would die a much quicker death.
Old 10-23-2015 | 11:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
1) You do realize that dealers always do that with new "special edition" cars, right? It's not a Ford conspiracy.
2) At $50k+ it's still $20k+ cheaper than the Z28. ******* the GT350 for not having exactly the same equipment as the Z28 in its base form does absolutely nothing to help your argument. These are both awesome cars, going off the deep-end about one of them to counter-act what somebody else does for the other doesn't make anybody look particularly intelligent.
Well, at over $50,000 on top of the new "special edition," $20,000 dealership bullshit charge, technically no, it is not cheaper than the $70,000 Z28 lol...

$70,000 for a naturally aspirated mystery Mustang... Sounds like a bad idea, even if it were a Camaro.
Old 10-24-2015 | 12:01 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by RikkiTorment
Well, at over $50,000 on top of the new "special edition," $20,000 dealership bullshit charge, technically no, it is not cheaper than the $70,000 Z28 lol...

$70,000 for a naturally aspirated mystery Mustang... Sounds like a bad idea, even if it were a Camaro.
I'm sure when the Z28 first came out it was incredibly hard to get at MSRP as well. Like I said, not something that can really affect the "value" comparison between two cars. If you're in the market to buy at the time, you can also afford to wait until the price goes back to normal. There was a crazy mark-up on the '13 GT500 too, but some people got them at/below sticker.
Old 10-24-2015 | 08:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm sure when the Z28 first came out it was incredibly hard to get at MSRP as well. Like I said, not something that can really affect the "value" comparison between two cars. If you're in the market to buy at the time, you can also afford to wait until the price goes back to normal. There was a crazy mark-up on the '13 GT500 too, but some people got them at/below sticker.
I am sure that dealerships played with the pricing a little bit, but I would not imagine $20,000... The only thing is with the Z28 is that the public knew everything about it before it was offered to them.

This GT350 on the other hand, there is a lot of speculation on what it apparently "can" do, and a lot of "he says, she says" regarding lap times; however no evidence of any of these claims has surfaced.

I would definitely say that the Z28 would end up costing more, but you'd know exactly what you are getting and what that car is capable of doing... the same cannot be said for the GT350.
Old 10-24-2015 | 08:14 PM
***Repost Police***

Ford could have done laps at every track in the country with 1,000 witnesses and a live feed, and you'd still find a way to argue against it
Old 10-25-2015 | 08:26 AM
TECH Veteran

Ford could have done laps at every track in the country with 1,000 witnesses and a live feed, and you'd still find a way to argue against it
But they didnt. So without that he has a point, I'm not saying either car is better but everything behind the gt350r is speculation because Ford wont lap time the car. There's rumors of times, but no actual official ones. If you're going to compare the cars they need to be compared on the same track on the same day.

I must say though, I like the voodoo, it's unique and sounds amazing; if I can eventually get one for a swap in my mustang I'll jump on it. But the way that dyno graph looks I'd pick the ls7 all day every day for a track engine. More power under the curve, and about the same peak, with the right gearing in both cars it would make no difference up top but in the meat of the rpms the ls7 would dominate.
Old 10-25-2015 | 09:19 AM
10 Second Club
20 Year Member

1) You do realize that dealers always do that with new "special edition" cars, right? It's not a Ford conspiracy.
2) At $50k+ it's still $20k+ cheaper than the Z28. ******* the GT350 for not having exactly the same equipment as the Z28 in its base form does absolutely nothing to help your argument. These are both awesome cars, going off the deep-end about one of them to counter-act what somebody else does for the other doesn't make anybody look particularly intelligent.
I'm not ******* anything dumbass. I stated what the car has and what it needed to be comparable.

Yes it does sound like a conspiracy .
Old 10-25-2015 | 12:36 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by redbird555
But they didnt. So without that he has a point, I'm not saying either car is better but everything behind the gt350r is speculation because Ford wont lap time the car. There's rumors of times, but no actual official ones. If you're going to compare the cars they need to be compared on the same track on the same day.
That's a contradiction though; if Ford had lapped the car and released times, it still wouldn't be a comparison because the ZL1 times would be with a different driver on a different day. I'm sure the mags will get to the head-to-head comparisons soon enough.
Originally Posted by HioSSilver
I'm not ******* anything dumbass. I stated what the car has and what it needed to be comparable.

Yes it does sound like a conspiracy .
Old 10-25-2015 | 01:58 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by nanokpsi
The gt350 also has a lot moe meat up top compared to the ls7.
Where?

I just saw two identical top ends with the LS7 having literally gapped the Voodoo motor down low and through the midrange?
Old 10-26-2015 | 02:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by T.Man
Where?

I just saw two identical top ends with the LS7 having literally gapped the Voodoo motor down low and through the midrange?
Look at the duration (in rpm) that the voodoo is near its peak power. That is where a track car is going to spend all of its time. A gt350 driver is not going to be spending much time below 4k on a track.
Old 10-26-2015 | 09:08 AM
10 Second Club
20 Year Member

More like if it drops below 4k it's turd city.
Old 10-26-2015 | 09:09 AM
***Repost Police***

I'm not ******* anything dumbass.
More like if it drops below 4k it's turd city.
Old 10-26-2015 | 09:12 AM
10 Second Club
20 Year Member

Just pointing out the troof. That's not ******* it. The 5.2 is down on tq the entire rev range to the ls7.

Besides.....i told your dumbass before you're not welcome in my threads. Now move along.
Old 10-26-2015 | 10:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

I must be missing something - the LS7 clearly has a torque advantage in it's useable rpm range, on a road course or standing still. The HP numbers are too close to call a winner.

Call me crazy, but I will take a fatter torque curve at equal HP and have to rev less any day. Or another way to look at it, one missed gear in the Voodoo will be far more costly.
Old 10-26-2015 | 11:28 AM
10 Second Club
20 Year Member

To many people focus on peak hp. The ls7 has 3000rpm at or above 400ftlb. Pretty damn good for such a simple engine and 10yrs old to boot.
Old 10-26-2015 | 02:23 PM
On The Tree

Arguing about which has the bigger number on a dyno (peak or average) while completely disregarding the other aspects of automotive design is retarded.

Yes, the LS7 has more "usable" (low rpm) torque and would be my choice for a daily driver, but if you are going for all out speed (which the GT350 is) you want to shift your torque curve higher in the rpm range to gain as much as possible from the mechanical advantage gearing gives you.
Old 10-26-2015 | 03:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Talking

Just pointing out the troof. That's not ******* it. The 5.2 is down on tq the entire rev range to the ls7.

Besides.....i told your dumbass before you're not welcome in my threads. Now move along.
LOL,
Old 10-26-2015 | 08:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No sir, I do not argue facts, just opinions.

And the fact is, that after ten months of this alleged lap-time happened, no official confirmation or video has surfaced, it is safe to say that it probably never happened.
Old 10-26-2015 | 09:04 PM
***Repost Police***

1) Just because an engine has less torque than an LS7 (most engines do) doesn't make it a "turd."
2) lol @ "not welcome in my threads."
Old 10-26-2015 | 10:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by zz4camaro1980
Arguing about which has the bigger number on a dyno (peak or average) while completely disregarding the other aspects of automotive design is retarded.

Yes, the LS7 has more "usable" (low rpm) torque and would be my choice for a daily driver, but if you are going for all out speed (which the GT350 is) you want to shift your torque curve higher in the rpm range to gain as much as possible from the mechanical advantage gearing gives you.
So your dedinition of useable torque, for purpose built track (road racing) cars is low rpm power? Insert **** on a bore comment here.

As I stated before, the meat at the upper end means far more for a track car, which the shelby has an advantge.

I would like to see chevy respond with a new z28, but the business case looks bad from history's sake. Maybe it would be cheaper woth a lt4 and conventional brakes, but I dont think they will go that route. I dont think a brake swap will lower the price enough.

Quick Reply: z28 vs gt350 dyno shootout