Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

skilled trades workers vote in UAW at VW plant

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2016 | 01:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

public sector unions is a tough subject. while i agree with CB generous benefits along with tons of days off can be costly for tax payers.

but then again imo you shouldnt be putting a price on public safety or education.

teachers and police are very important. ill leave it at that.

im not admitting where i work but im betting your TV was sent fedex gnd which is a subcontractor and ill just say they arent as efficient as fedexs express division which are employees.

see what happens when you subcontract.
Old 01-13-2016 | 12:12 PM
On The Tree

OK, I will step into the pile, lol... I have worked in my career so far 6 places that were unionized. 5 of them no longer exist. First one, we were paid 10 cents above minimum wage, and they closed shop and went to Mexico... Only one still open I got the gig, and the Union wanted a steward to have the job, (I am a maintenance tech, the steward was a machine operator). The union contract was up for negotiation, I was sacrificed as a bargaining chip before my probation ... I got a nice package though, lol...

I currently work for a non union Southern automotive manufacturer where there has been an ongoing union push, and I don't see it gaining much traction, despite what the propaganda says...
Old 01-13-2016 | 01:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Smile

we all have our opinions and experiences.

mine is all employers big or small are heartless and could care less about its employees.

unions overall in this area have better pay and benefits and that causes smaller non union competitors to pay more to get a retain people so i think thats a good thing.

Quick Reply: skilled trades workers vote in UAW at VW plant