Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

march sales still in mustangs favor

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2016 | 07:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Smile

imo a 5th gen is what a 4th gen shouldve been more of. not the other way around.

it has more power. yes,more weight but it handles and rides better. that isnt even arguable.

IRS was badly needed on these cars. even ford got with the program on that.

face it. 4th gens were archaic. lots of shelf parts and its obvious corners were cut. weak power window motors. crap quality leather. my front rotors warped more than once at 10k. GM resurfaced them then they told me to get lost when they warped again. my pinion seal leaked and leaked and leaked. it was replaced under warranty but it didnt matter. i can go on. my rear exploded with stock power on nittos after only a few passes. warrantied also but imo it shouldve held up better.

i still like my 4TH GEN A LOT but to say theyre better than a 5th gen is just living in denial.

if you dont like its styling fine but that doesnt change that 5th gens are better cars overall besides straight line racing.
Old 05-16-2016 | 08:53 PM
LS1Tech Administrator
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
IRS was badly needed on these cars. even ford got with the program on that.
Not at all. It's shocking how well a 4th gen can handle with some simple suspension upgrades. I see no 'requirement' for IRS at all really.

face it. 4th gens were archaic.

imo a 5th gen is what a 4th gen shouldve been more of. not the other way around.

i still like my 4TH GEN A LOT but to say theyre better than a 5th gen is just living in denial.

if you dont like its styling fine but that doesnt change that 5th gens are better cars overall besides straight line racing.
Lots of opinions and subjective reasoning here, some of which fails to consider aspects that might be more important to some than others, which is fine but it doesn't make disagreement incorrect or ignorant. That doesn't mean I hate the 5th gen, nor that I find the 4th gen superior as a blanket statement....I just find the 4th gen to be a better car *for me*. Unfortunately, 4th gens are old cars now and finding nice/fresh ones is tough; that is the biggest downside to the 4th gen for me at this point. If both were available new, simultaneously, then absolutely nothing about the 5th gen could steer me away from a 4th gen. That doesn't mean I'm living in denial or that I have never given the 5th gen a chance, it simply means that I have a different opinion based on my own experiences and preferences.
Old 05-17-2016 | 06:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Smile

handling is only one aspect of IRS. the ride is so much better. you dont feel every bump. yes,of course some wont care but after having 2 cars with IRS i think its a welcome option. it really makes it an entirely different car from a refinement aspect.

i improved my suspension on 4th gen. so im familiar how well they can handle. even so,im going to have to say i dont know if ill ever be able to get to out handle my 1LE.

THATS A GOOD THING THOUGH. that shows how good 5TH GEN CHASSIS IS.

I LIKE 4TH AND 5TH GENS. as far as comfort and refinement there really is no contest imo.

i plan to keep my 4th gen forever.

Last edited by ULTIMATEORANGESS; 05-17-2016 at 06:15 AM.
Old 05-17-2016 | 10:08 AM
LS1Tech Administrator
20 Year Member

handling is only one aspect of IRS. the ride is so much better. you dont feel every bump. yes,of course some wont care but after having 2 cars with IRS i think its a welcome option. it really makes it an entirely different car from a refinement aspect.

i improved my suspension on 4th gen. so im familiar how well they can handle. even so,im going to have to say i dont know if ill ever be able to get to out handle my 1LE.

THATS A GOOD THING THOUGH. that shows how good 5TH GEN CHASSIS IS.

I LIKE 4TH AND 5TH GENS. as far as comfort and refinement there really is no contest imo.

i plan to keep my 4th gen forever.
Yeah, the refinement vs. over-refinement aspect is definitely subjective. I'm pretty happy driving around in '60s/'70s muscle cars with fresh (but original style) suspension, and would probably do so much of the time if not for the horrible climate in my region. 4th gens are much more refined than those, but still have the proper feel of a machine. The newest cars leave me feeling very disconnected/buffered from the experience of operating a vehicle - perhaps some/many motorists like this, but it's not preferable to me.

Seating position and interior layout is much more comfortable to me in a 4th gen. In the 5th gens I've driven, I can't seem to find a happy compromise between steering wheel position, gauge cluster visibility, and seating position. Exterior visibility also left me feeling very uncomfortable. All these things are a big part of the driving experience to me, and 4th gens fit me like a glove in comparison.
Old 05-17-2016 | 03:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Smile

one thing about 5th gens though GM did a good job designing the side view mirrors is that visibility is horrific.

it took me while and i still dont trust completely trust them. most times im down shifting and getting on it when i switch lanes because im afraid im going to cut someone off lol.

but as far as feeling connected have you driven a 1LE in performance mode? i think you might be impressed how planted and tight it feels. at least compared to a 4th gen.
Old 05-18-2016 | 02:20 AM
LS1Tech Administrator
20 Year Member

but as far as feeling connected have you driven a 1LE in performance mode? i think you might be impressed how planted and tight it feels. at least compared to a 4th gen.
I have not driven a 5th gen 1LE, I'm honestly not very familiar with the package. Does anything about it change the relationship between the driver/seating position/steering wheel/gauge cluster arrangement (such as different seats, etc.) over the base SS? This was particularly disappointing to me when driving a normal SS, I just couldn't find that "like a glove" fit that I can always easily locate in any 4th gen. Visibility was also distressing. Being more planted and tight feels good I'm sure, but a 4th gen can still satisfy my personal requirements in that department while also delivering a better (IMO) driving position.
Old 05-18-2016 | 01:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

overall seating position isnt different. while i dont have them recaro seats have to be a great option to enhance an already excellent handling car.

even with konis on my 4th gen i cant see it coming close to my 1le on a road course even being heavier. thats where an IRS really shines over an SRA setup.

even a BASE ss PROBABLY HAnDLES much better. i was always impressed how tight they felt for such a big and heavy car. they really dont feel big once you get used to driving it regularly.

Quick Reply: march sales still in mustangs favor