Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

The Chevrolet SS We Should Have Had

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 06:38 PM
LS1 Town Crier

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default The Chevrolet SS We Should Have Had

Like Patrick said, there was never any marketing muscle behind the the Chevy SS, but I think it would have done a lot better if it looked like the Vauxhall VXR8 GTS-R...

Old 04-25-2018, 06:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

SS by itself never made sense as that was a Super Sport package for an existing model.
As with the GTO, production was always so tiny in the GM scope of things to warrant extensive advertising. Then the price was too high for a ho-hum appearing car
The stupid instance on a bowtie and a huge one is retarded on these modern looking cars
Old 04-26-2018, 07:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Felix C
SS by itself never made sense as that was a Super Sport package for an existing model.
As with the GTO, production was always so tiny in the GM scope of things to warrant extensive advertising. Then the price was too high for a ho-hum appearing car
The stupid instance on a bowtie and a huge one is retarded on these modern looking cars
I agree with all of your points.

From what I know about the SS, it was never intended to be a major seller, thus no advertising. Since GM's plan all along was for it to be a low volume model, the only way the dollars made sense (see what I did there?) was to only offer the car in top trim. If I recall from the Build & Price, the only options you could even select were color, moon roof (yes or no), and spare tire (yes or no). Starting in 2015 you could choose manual vs. automatic, but the price difference in those two selections was offset by a gas guzzler tax (auto had it, manual didn't).

I think the looks of a Vauxhall VXR8 GTS-R over what we got would have definitely moved more units though.
Old 04-26-2018, 07:13 PM
LS1 Town Crier

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Z Fury
I agree with all of your points.

From what I know about the SS, it was never intended to be a major seller, thus no advertising. Since GM's plan all along was for it to be a low volume model, the only way the dollars made sense (see what I did there?) was to only offer the car in top trim. If I recall from the Build & Price, the only options you could even select were color, moon roof (yes or no), and spare tire (yes or no). Starting in 2015 you could choose manual vs. automatic, but the price difference in those two selections was offset by a gas guzzler tax (auto had it, manual didn't).

I think the looks of a Vauxhall VXR8 GTS-R over what we got would have definitely moved more units though.
yeah, I remember that all of them were basically top trim models. Huge contender for a future classic.
Old 04-26-2018, 07:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 475 Likes on 365 Posts

Just talked to my local dealer, they are still available, by order only. Said they have no intention of making it a production run car any more.

About 59K, better deal than the Caddy in some ways..
Old 04-27-2018, 08:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Holden ceased production in October 2017.
Old 05-10-2018, 06:26 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GM never has known how to market their vehicles. GM also does stupid cosmetic changes instead of concentrating on performance.