Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Electric Vette

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2022, 02:22 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by SLOW SEDAN
For sure, probably the last domestic you can get under 3000lbs without too much effort.
Oh yeah all the new stuff is too heavy.
Old 05-14-2022, 12:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Can you imagine being at the track and the loudest sound there are people yapping their mouths? That be a big no for me. Ev's are fine for trips or back and forth to work. I need to hear the rumble and smell the fuel. I can't imagine how boring watching a bunch of EV cars go down the track would be,
The following 2 users liked this post by 98LS1auto:
68Formula (05-14-2022), NW-99SS (08-10-2022)
Old 05-14-2022, 12:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 342 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by 98LS1auto
Can you imagine being at the track and the loudest sound there are people yapping their mouths? That be a big no for me. Ev's are fine for trips or back and forth to work. I need to hear the rumble and smell the fuel. I can't imagine how boring watching a bunch of EV cars go down the track would be,
Old 08-03-2022, 12:14 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Roarin_8
Oh yeah all the new stuff is too heavy.
And I imagine the batteries would put the electric Vette over 4000 lb...
Old 08-03-2022, 12:39 PM
TECH Regular

Received 69 Likes on 53 Posts

Reports about the hybrid E-Ray catching on fire were off per GM contacting GM Authority to say it wasn't the hybrid that caught fire (Fiero like)

The E-Ray is expected to pair the naturally aspirated 6.2L V8 LT2 gasoline engine from the standard C8 Corvette Stingray with a front-mounted electric drive unit, giving the hybridized sports car all-wheel drive. The Corvette E-Ray is also expected to share a widebody stance, and various other exterior body pieces and components, with the high-performance C8 Corvette Z06.
"Burnt Down C8 Corvette In Spain Wasn’t An E-Ray, GM Says"
Old 08-10-2022, 09:43 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Ahatami
And I imagine the batteries would put the electric Vette over 4000 lb...
That is true but the instant continuous torque would move it much quicker. Imagine if they can figure out how to make the batteries lighter....
Old 08-10-2022, 10:37 AM
TECH Regular

Received 69 Likes on 53 Posts

I was reading this week where EV's go through tires much faster than internal combustion cars. This is due to the weight differences and the torque demands placed on the tires. If the cars/trucks are that much heavier than that leads to them needing bigger/stronger brake systems to stop all that inertial energy. So tires and brakes will be wearing out and needing changes/servicing more frequently. Hopefully they can get the weight down because while all that extra torque is nice, if the machine is a pig it just throws in all other sorts of problems on the suspension components as well. Cornering will be more demanding as all that weight has to be controlled to keep things under control.

Cars have been getting heavier enough on their own, despite the advances in composites the safety requirements keep making trade-offs the norm. EV's weight and charging are still an issue and seeing what the weight is what it is for now I wonder how "performance" will be in anything other than a straight line or rolling start?
Old 08-10-2022, 10:45 AM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Roarin_8
That is true but the instant continuous torque would move it much quicker. Imagine if they can figure out how to make the batteries lighter....
Oh yeah, I don't doubt the numbers advantages of an electric platform, and everyone has their own feeling about electric, but for me, the sound, feel, and power delivery of an ICE engine are essential to the joy of driving, and they're just not there for electric cars.
The following users liked this post:
Roarin_8 (08-10-2022)
Old 08-10-2022, 11:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 469 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by jybravo70
If the cars/trucks are that much heavier than that leads to them needing bigger/stronger brake systems to stop all that inertial energy. So tires and brakes will be wearing out and needing changes/servicing more frequently. Hopefully they can get the weight down because while all that extra torque is nice, if the machine is a pig it just throws in all other sorts of problems on the suspension components as well. Cornering will be more demanding as all that weight has to be controlled to keep things under control.
my primary driver is a tesla and i almost never use the brakes due to the regen braking. this is normal day to day driving not racing.
the suspension is extremely well engineered. speaking tesla specifically, they have made some massive strides in manufacturing, arguably more advanced than any other mass produced car anywhere. if youre bored theres some great videos out there by Munro. they did a complete tear down on a plaid for engineering analysis. as far as their advances in manufacturing, heres a good start:

Quick Reply: Electric Vette