Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

New M5-look with out the M5-price (545i Sport)

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2004, 10:03 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New M5-look with out the M5-price (545i Sport)

I know the new M5 is a bit polarizing, but for those of you (including myself) that like the look of the new M5, BMW is releasing an M Body Kit for the 545i according to an article on GermanCarFans.com. If I'm reading this correctly it will also be available on the 535d which I do not believe is available here in the states.

Performance: I got a chance to drive a friend’s 2004 545i Sport last month and I have to say I'm very impressed. I have a few thousand miles under my *** in a 2001 M5 with a full Dinan package and I was amazed by how similar the new 545 Sport and 2001 M5 performed. I imagine the difference between the two is very similar to that between the 2005 C6 Z51 and 2004 Z06. At the limit the 2001 M5 did perform better, but the 2004 545 Sport felt just as capable at 80%...maybe even better due to active roll stabilization and better steering. In a straight line the tests I've seen put the M5 as a low 13 and the 545 Sport as a high 13. I think I can agree with that as pretty much everywhere in the RPM band the 545 feels just as strong and isn't until you tach it up that the M5 starts to spread its wings.

Interior: I'm not a huge fan of the new 5's interior, but the old M5 looks positively dated next to the new 5. Hard to explain though, but despite being dated looking the old M5 interior still looks more upscale to me, but I think the new 5 interior would be easier on the eyes after a while. The iDrive was not my favorite, and didn’t like how you had to option out of the Navigation in order to change the radio station...ahh well, the price of progress. Personally I like the CTS-V navigation better, much more straight forward.

Exterior: Very subjective of course, but the fit and finish of the body work is superb. Seams are tight and even and the details are thoughtful. I have to admit though I'm disappointed with the look of the rims after BMW did such an amazing job with the old M5 rim I really expected something more exciting for the new M5. The 545 Sport rims shown above look good, but they're still not as exciting as the old M5 rim IMOHO.

Price: I'm under the impression BMW doesn't, as a company, sell cars. Rather they lease them. After spending time on CTS-V forum it looks like the lease price of a CTS-V is $800 or so a month due to a low residual. By way of comparison, my buddy with the 545i Sport had a sticker that was $15K more than a CTS-V ($65,000), put no money down on the car but did European delivery which discounts the price to $58K effectively giving him a $7K down payment. With a higher residual, his $65K car runs him $760/month +tax. Note: Euro delivery gives you an American Spec Car, you fly out to Germany and spend a couple of weeks in Europe enjoying your car until you drop it off at a delivery center. A few weeks later your car arrives at your dealership in the States prepped and ready to go. I see no reason why you wouldn't have every Bimmer delivered this way given the vacation and huge discount off sticker. They can discount the price as effectively BMW Germany sells the car directly to your dealership rather than a car you buy off the lot where BMW Germany sells the car to BMW USA who then sells it to your dealership.

Anyhow, if the new M-Bodywork becomes standard issue of 545 sports here in the states, then I know a few people, including my friend that are kicking themselves right now.

-Adam

Last edited by Shinkaze; 08-19-2004 at 11:05 AM. Reason: Corrected Lease amounts
Old 08-19-2004, 11:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The E60 looks 10X better with the M5/M-Technic body kit.

BMWNA may not send this one our way. The M-Technic body kit (M5 look, with slight differences - on the E39 the differences were an air diffuser on the front fascia and a slightly different rear valence with only one exhaust tip cutout) was avaiable for several years on the E39 in Europe (and I think Canada too). But it didn't appear here until 2003, and then it was limited to 540 sport models.

Yes, high residuals make it easier to lease a new BMW (as well as Lexus and Porsche). But low residuals and resale make it easier to buy a 2 year old Cadillac Everything's a tradeoff.
Old 08-19-2004, 04:27 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Shinkaze
I know the new M5 is a bit polarizing, but for those of you (including myself) that like the look of the new M5, BMW is releasing an M Body Kit for the 545i according to an article on GermanCarFans.com. If I'm reading this correctly it will also be available on the 535d which I do not believe is available here in the states.

-Adam
LOL. If you're reading it correctly? The car in the pics you posted is a 535d. hehehe.
Old 08-19-2004, 05:55 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bruddah_man_matt
LOL. If you're reading it correctly? The car in the pics you posted is a 535d. hehehe.
I have a knock for missing the obvious.....
Old 08-20-2004, 10:59 AM
TECH Addict

more info and pricing
http://www.katrins-mini-welt.de/Daten/M-Paket.pdf
Old 08-20-2004, 11:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bruddah_man_matt

Quick Reply: New M5-look with out the M5-price (545i Sport)