Old 10-15-2004, 02:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exclamation BMWs Assembled in China

Shanghai Surprise: We test drive a Chinese-built BMW 5 Series

By JEREMY HART
(07:30 April 16, 2004)
(All Photos © 2004 Darren Heath)

THE SENSATION IS A BIT LIKE WEARING a gold Rolex, a Prada suit and carrying Louis Vuitton luggage while riding a New York subway late at night. Sore thumbs and sticking out come to mind.

Shanghai—China’s economic powerhouse—is all glitz, except when it comes to cars. The streets are crammed with a raft of dirty and dull VW Santana taxis, snaking streams of Flying Pigeon bicycles and scurrying street sellers hauling pushcarts laden with produce.

Throw in a shiny new champagne silver BMW 530i, fill it with a pair of Westerners and the word conspicuous takes on a whole new meaning. As we pass, bikes run into each other, taxi drivers miss turns and heads turn like the crowd following the ball on center court. To get the same reaction in London or New York, you’d need to stick Halle Berry in a topless Ferrari.

The Brits built the first railway in China in 1874, but for modern transport China prefers to mix Maoism with vorsprung durch technik. Shanghai’s 260-mph train is German-made. The taxis are VWs made in Beijing and the latest car manufacturer to set up plants in China is BMW.

The first BMW produced in China by a joint venture between BMW and China’s Brilliance Automotive Co. Ltd. was revealed to Chinese consumers on Oct. 16, 2003. It was a black BMW 325i. Since then more than 1000 3 Series have been sold.

Now the 5 Series is on tap, and ours is one of the first to roll off the production line. This is the most luxurious car ever made in China, and as far as the masses are concerned, this is probably just another hugely expensive import. Instead, somewhere on the chassis is stamped “Made in China.”

To be honest, from the inside it could just as well have been made in Bavaria as Beijing. There are no horrors—no massive panel gaps, no rattling dashboard, no carpets coming unstuck at the edges.

Four months ago we drove an identical European-made 530i at the launch in Germany. If it wasn’t for the incessant honking and the aroma of roadside stalls selling dumplings, not to mention the Flying Pigeons, the driving experiences would have been identical. Even iDrive worked flawlessly—in Mandarin.

Behind the wheel—which technically we shouldn’t have experienced without first passing the local driving test—the Chinese 5 is tight. Chinese roads are pockmarked and littered with craters. It is not a place for a fragile automobile. We took the car on tracks used only by tractors, down the cobbled back streets of Shanghai so rough they unseat motorcyclists. The 530i took the punches like Lennox Lewis.

Locally made BMWs are not cheap: The 325i lists for 473,850 yuan, or about $57,250. But even at that rate, BMW has been riding the wave of a booming Chinese car market where industry sales rose by 67.8 percent to 1.51 million units in the first 10 months of 2003. By 2010, China’s demand for cars will be 10 million.

Little wonder companies like BMW are beaming. A car, like a laptop computer and a house, has long been regarded as a coveted emblem of Chinese middle-class life. Credit is a new phenomenon, but one that is making car ownership affordable for the Chinese.

Whatever the wheels, the allure is freedom. “A car means more lifestyle choices for the Chinese,” says **** Zong, a company manager who just bought a new VW. “You can still ride a bike, but surely a car will wheel you to a more exciting life.”

Old 10-18-2004, 12:31 AM
TECH Addict

I've been watching a great show called "Autoline Detroit". And they discussed the aspirations fo the Chinese buyer. It's interesting that they are aiming to own a Sedan rather than an SUV, and in that regard I think BMW will do very well there as they specialize in the high end of what the Chinese aspire too.

-Adam
Old 10-18-2004, 01:28 AM
TECH Veteran

Buick is a much higher class brand there than it is here as well, and the Buicks they get are better. Especially their Regal.
Old 10-18-2004, 10:07 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Shinkaze
I've been watching a great show called "Autoline Detroit". And they discussed the aspirations fo the Chinese buyer. It's interesting that they are aiming to own a Sedan rather than an SUV, and in that regard I think BMW will do very well there as they specialize in the high end of what the Chinese aspire too.

-Adam
I think you are right. I was in China with my father 7 years ago and my father just got back a month ago from another trip. China has progressed evry quickly and with the current trade agreements and such China is looking to do very good. In fact, just recently, Beijing was reported to have an excess of 2.5 million jobs in the manufacturing area because of all the new jobs being created. So many that people are leaving these manufacturing jobs for service jobs.

Kinda funny since 7 years ago they had millions in Beijing with no job.

They are definitley seeing a greatly improved economy and they are spending. They love cellular phones and cars. When I was there the largest form of transportation was a bicycle with bicycle shops on every corner. When my father came back the cheif form of transportation is now the automobile with VWs being a favorite. BMW is a popular as well.

Quick Reply: BMWs Assembled in China