Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

400hp V8 Z4 M-Roadster

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2004, 11:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 400hp V8 Z4 M-Roadster

As much as I hate the Styling of the Z4 (and pretty much everything else Bangel has touched) I have to admit a 400hp V8 in a car the size of a Miata is gonna be a hoot. Wonder how it will run against the C6?

BMW Z4M

This rip-roaring prototype (right) is the long-awaited Z4M, which Autocar’s spies say shares its V8 engine with the upcoming M3 (above). The car will have the task of lifting the image of the whole Z4 range, especially with an all-new Porsche Boxster just gone on sale. The Z4M is also BMW’s riposte to the new Mercedes SLK 55, which has a 355bhp (non-supercharged) AMG-fettled V8 engine.

There’s no news yet on whether the Z4M will have the V8’s full 400bhp. Although it would be a logical move, this sort of wallop would make it hugely more powerful than any rival (the new Boxster S has just 276bhp) and almost as grunty as today’s 911 Turbo.

The car undergoing tests here at the Nürburgring circuit is distinguished by the classic quad exhaust pipes, new wheels and a revised suspension set-up.

BMW’s Z4 got off to a strong start in the important US market, but has faded since. Dealers have complained that it is substantially more expensive than the old Z3. This means that the Z4 is less likely to be bought as ‘fun’ second car, limiting its sales potential.

At the opposite end of the market to this V8 prototype, BMW is thought to be trailing a cheaper four-cylinder version of the Z4. This would be powered by the second-generation version of the company’s UK-built 2.0-litre Vanos engines.

It was originally thought that the Z4 would have a cheaper sister car spin-off, badged Austin-Healey. BMW’s US Designworks studios completed extensive styling work on the concept in the late 1990s.

Source:Autocar

http://www.autocarmagazine.com/news_...p?na_id=212373

Z4 M Roadster confirmed! 11/26/2004

i just came from helsinki motor show where i heard from a bmw sales man that it is now sure that there will be a new m roadster. he also said that m6 will be coming as we all well know but m7 is unlikely to see daylight (old news, i know ). he hadn´t heard of m6 csl (or m5 csl).

Source:Germancarfans forum
Here are some other pics..

-Adam
Old 11-28-2004, 04:28 PM
TECH Resident

w00t. Although it's not Miata light at about 3000 lbs. (compared to about 2400-2500 lbs. for a Miata) I'm sure 400 hp will make up the difference. What I really want is an interior shot to possibly see if a stick and clutch manual will be offered or if the new V8 M cars (Z4 M and the E90 M3) will be offered only with SMG boxes. If BMW goes with a 6 speed unit for these cars I'm willing to bet a traditional manual will be offered, but if they go with the new 7 speed SMG box from the E60 M5 and the upcoming E63 M6 you can bet that'll be the only tranny offered.
Old 11-28-2004, 08:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Not sure if BMW will give the open top Z roadster that much power but if they do...it should be quite amazing.
Old 11-29-2004, 10:49 AM
JS
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorta has a small "Jaguar like" look to it?
I dont like it.
Old 11-29-2004, 11:05 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bruddah_man_matt
w00t. Although it's not Miata light at about 3000 lbs. (compared to about 2400-2500 lbs. for a Miata) I'm sure 400 hp will make up the difference. What I really want is an interior shot to possibly see if a stick and clutch manual will be offered or if the new V8 M cars (Z4 M and the E90 M3) will be offered only with SMG boxes. If BMW goes with a 6 speed unit for these cars I'm willing to bet a traditional manual will be offered, but if they go with the new 7 speed SMG box from the E60 M5 and the upcoming E63 M6 you can bet that'll be the only tranny offered.
I drove a lot of M3 SMG's before I finally settled on getting a "regular" M6 M3. FWIW my take on SMG is this (short version)..Pretty much imagine everything you don't like about a Manual with the fun to drive factor of an automatic.... Though I'll admit in spirited up shift down shift intese handling type driving the SMG is the ideal tranny, personlly I gave it a big thumbs down.

Maybe the next generation SMG in the E60 M5 will be better..... but my impression of SMG is pretty much you'll either end up wishing you had a real automatic or a real manual.

-Adam
Old 11-29-2004, 11:09 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JS
Sorta has a small "Jaguar like" look to it?
I dont like it.
I liked the old Z3-M.... I really can't warm up to the Z4 though. If I were to get a car like that I'd probably get an S2000 or Porsche Boxster first. (or actually at that price I'd get a C6-Vert!) FWIW though, the old 333hp Z3-M was a high 12 second car in the right hands. Sadly it had the Ti rear suspension which really kept it from being a "great" sports car.

Anyhow, if it does come out with a 400hp V8 I'll probably just end up disliking the Z4 less.

-Adam
Old 11-29-2004, 12:11 PM
TECH Junkie

HAIRY----I like it Z3 looked to much like a "Bitch" car to me, Z4 looks alot "Tougher" if you can make that kind of car tougher looking
Old 11-29-2004, 03:07 PM
TECH Addict

Two more with M3 style Wheels.

-Adam
Old 12-02-2004, 10:34 AM
Customizing Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I think these cars look pretty cool. Fairly fun to drive to

Quick Reply: 400hp V8 Z4 M-Roadster