Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

331 Ways to Waste an LS1

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2005, 10:31 PM
MSI
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 4.8redchev
thats true but thats like compairing apple's to oranges...a 03 cobra is supercharged not n/a put a supercharger and the same exact mods on a f-body and see how much hp is puts down.
Well, you kind of helped me make my point. I'm simply saying compare similar year vehicles to be fair, i.e., a late 80's/early 90's Mustang to a late 80's/early 90's Camaro. Comparing an iron-headed 302 from that era to a late model Camaro with aluminum heads and 44 more c.i. is quite unfair, IMO. It should be expected that either the older Mustang OR Camaro from that era needs help. An 03 Cobra compared to the last year F-body, 02, is fair in my eyes, they are similar years. I'm not going into the whole "its got a blower" war. That is a whole other can of worms.
Old 05-05-2005, 10:34 PM
MSI
Teching In

Originally Posted by qwikz28
how is a supercharger "new" technology? sounds like cheap hp to me
Once again, what is fair and isn't in reference to the Cobra is for another day. And yes, I would call the 32-valve, 4 cam Cobra having "new" technology, relatively speaking.
Old 05-08-2005, 08:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by MSI
Well, you kind of helped me make my point. I'm simply saying compare similar year vehicles to be fair, i.e., a late 80's/early 90's Mustang to a late 80's/early 90's Camaro. Comparing an iron-headed 302 from that era to a late model Camaro with aluminum heads and 44 more c.i. is quite unfair, IMO. It should be expected that either the older Mustang OR Camaro from that era needs help. An 03 Cobra compared to the last year F-body, 02, is fair in my eyes, they are similar years. I'm not going into the whole "its got a blower" war. That is a whole other can of worms.
\

Thats what they dont see.

Take an iron-headed 302 fuel injected and compare it to a 350 TPI and they made about the same power. Ouch.

I'm not brand loyal but you cant argue that for the cheapest bang for the buck to mod and get great results are the fox-body 5.0's.
Old 05-08-2005, 10:22 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 4.8redchev
thats true but thats like compairing apple's to oranges...a 03 cobra is supercharged not n/a put a supercharger and the same exact mods on a f-body and see how much hp is puts down.
Take a cobra motor and give it another liter and see what it puts down

Coulda shoulda woulda, fact of the matter is, the cobra is probably the best bang for your buck performance vehicle to be made in the past 5 years or so. You can pick them up used for low 20's now, and with 1500 bucks in mods you're running 11's trapping 120+mph on street tires with zero driveability loss, no lopey cam or anything like that, just boltons. They are incredible machines, the only thing I wish they had was a solid rear axle.

Dont get me wrong, the LS1 is probably the greatest smallblock motor ever built, but ford definitely overengineered the 03/04 4v cobra motor; they're taking 800+rwhp on the stock LONGBLOCK. Hell I know of a few guys locally to me that have ~600whp on the stock longblock, and pump gas i might add.
Old 05-08-2005, 10:23 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by MSI
Exactly. I dont understand why everyone gets butthurt that there is a faster car out there, or one that can be made faster for cheaper, or anything else for that matter. You should be into cars for the love of the sport, no matter what the make and model is.
Old 05-08-2005, 11:47 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by MSI
Once again, what is fair and isn't in reference to the Cobra is for another day. And yes, I would call the 32-valve, 4 cam Cobra having "new" technology, relatively speaking.
i dont think that a blower is unfair at all and it sure as hell doesnt put it in a different class, i think the msrp is what puts it in a different class. you seem to know alot about mustangs so i guess i'll ask you... where can i find info on the difference between the mustang 5.0 and the 4.6 that replaced it? its something i've always been curious about. i'm kinda looking for a compare and contrast or maybe a list of changes, that is if they are based on one another. thanks

jacob
Old 05-09-2005, 03:45 AM
9 Second Club

its an endless cycle, I beat stroked windsor coupes all the time... and i still consider my setup mild, as for the year to year battles, go for it there are 2 years in the 80's where ford was faster, too bad they didnt put a T5 behind the 350 of those years. TunedPort tech was great for its day but like all things come to be outdated. I in the past have found it pointless to argue about this, it always ends up with me laughing at some stupid comment coming from someone that cant break a 7.99 in the 1/8th
Old 05-09-2005, 06:35 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I remember reading that article. I lol'd several times. It's a complete joke...
Old 05-09-2005, 10:55 AM
MSI
Teching In

i dont think that a blower is unfair at all and it sure as hell doesnt put it in a different class, i think the msrp is what puts it in a different class. you seem to know alot about mustangs so i guess i'll ask you... where can i find info on the difference between the mustang 5.0 and the 4.6 that replaced it? its something i've always been curious about. i'm kinda looking for a compare and contrast or maybe a list of changes, that is if they are based on one another. thanks

jacob
There are basically ZERO similarities between the 5.0 and 4.6, other than the fact that they're both V8s and made by Ford. The 5.0 is a pushrod engine, and the 4.6 is either a SOHC or DOHC engine. 1996 is when they switched to the 4.6 in the Mustang. There is a LOT to explain as far as differences between the two so I'd recommend doing a Google or Dogpile search and just start reading.
Old 05-09-2005, 02:06 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by MSI
There are basically ZERO similarities between the 5.0 and 4.6, other than the fact that they're both V8s and made by Ford. The 5.0 is a pushrod engine, and the 4.6 is either a SOHC or DOHC engine. 1996 is when they switched to the 4.6 in the Mustang. There is a LOT to explain as far as differences between the two so I'd recommend doing a Google or Dogpile search and just start reading.
you pretty much answered my question already a 5.0 liter owner told me that they were the same engines just with smaller displacement and better efficiency. i just wanted to verify how incorrect he was. thanks

jacob
Old 05-10-2005, 07:00 PM
Tech Addict

331 eh. 4.030 bore by a 3.25 stroke eh. Sound a bit familiar, old school small block chevy guys??
Old 05-10-2005, 07:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

LOL, I don't need 331 ways. I do it all the time with 306ci!!!

I'm just messing with you guys. Ya'll know I love LS1's.
Old 05-18-2005, 05:31 PM

It's still going to be an ugly old Mustang.

They really should have left out that first paragraph.
Old 05-18-2005, 05:57 PM
RIP April 14, 2008

Location: the land where cars repeatedly hit my bumper when I'm in the store...

those are some nice lookin blocks.
Old 05-19-2005, 11:37 PM
Staging Lane

Ford guys are idiots....Want horses, gota charge it, plain and simple... you dont see to many, if any n/a MUSTAKES rolling around....Number 1 topic in a Stanky forum. What kinda charger you got and how much boost you running.....
Old 05-20-2005, 05:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BigSmallBlck2GZ
Ford guys are idiots....Want horses, gota charge it, plain and simple... you dont see to many, if any n/a MUSTAKES rolling around....Number 1 topic in a Stanky forum. What kinda charger you got and how much boost you running.....

and how fast are you?

i know alot of "rustangs" that will whip up on modded ls1's...... and they only have maybe 3k in em.... including the car!
Old 05-21-2005, 02:32 AM
Staging Lane

im at 325h, nothing huge, point im making is my 325 will run with a "pro charge stanky" all day, with the hit, im clownin 500hr cobras, got several in the crew and they all agree with me, Gotta charge it!!! My mistake tho, buddy has a New mach one with Everybolt on you can get for the car and 4:10s and my z still hangs doors with him....IIn colorado, its VERY RARE to see a N/a stanky runs anything over 400hs on the street, strip different story.....Gota love street racing everyone has a ten second car.........
Old 05-21-2005, 07:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by BigSmallBlck2GZ
im at 325h, nothing huge, point im making is my 325 will run with a "pro charge stanky" all day, with the hit, im clownin 500hr cobras, got several in the crew and they all agree with me, Gotta charge it!!! My mistake tho, buddy has a New mach one with Everybolt on you can get for the car and 4:10s and my z still hangs doors with him....IIn colorado, its VERY RARE to see a N/a stanky runs anything over 400hs on the street, strip different story.....Gota love street racing everyone has a ten second car.........
Are you speaking english?
Old 05-22-2005, 08:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

no, i don't think he is.

what if you actually do have a 10 second street car?
Old 05-22-2005, 09:02 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

If I was looking to build a race car it wouldnt be an LS1. Before you open your mouths up about shitty Mustangs just take a look at Fun Ford and look at NMRA, just look how fast those "ugly" fox bodies and modulars are going. Then look at our own series, though I full suport it and love to see people build our cars up, Mustangs still have the upper hand in drag racing ten fold.

but what it all boils down to is a ford 5.0 or 4.6 CANNOT step to a chevy ls1.
Ford PRODUCTION modular blocks and heads have already been over 200mph and in to the 6s

Last edited by Bizzzatch350; 05-22-2005 at 09:18 PM.

Quick Reply: 331 Ways to Waste an LS1