Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Zeta Dead - Camaro Rebirth Miscarries

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2005, 11:00 PM
RIP April 14, 2008

Location: the land where cars repeatedly hit my bumper when I'm in the store...
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i've had it. I dont want another Camaro. Don't ruin the name. leave them the **** alone. they did em right for 35 years, and if they make em again I sincerely doubt they will.

EMBRACE THE AFTERMARKET.

Brad
Old 05-19-2005, 01:56 AM
Staging Lane

What The Hell Is The Zeta Program??? Why Is Popular Hotroding Still Posting Possible Pics Of 07 Maros??? And What Is The Emaill Address For These ***** At Gm That Are Clueless To What Us Real Americans Want.... Give Me A New Camaro U *****.........
Old 05-19-2005, 03:41 AM
Launching!

**** THEM PAY ME! I dont give a **** anymore GM is going to the **** hole! But as an F-body owner I am going to OWN ******* anything that is not an F-body to show that LT1's and LS1's will alway be fastest, better looking, and one of the best muscle cars that were ever Produced! The new Mustang got so much hype and soon as it was put on the roads of colorado my 01 WS6 walked it's *** left to right ! **** em' all... Let the Ford,Mitsu,Subaru, and honda OWNING begin! Can I getta AMEN!

Last edited by 150shotWS6; 05-19-2005 at 03:46 AM.
Old 05-19-2005, 07:09 AM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Originally Posted by 150shotWS6
**** THEM PAY ME! I dont give a **** anymore GM is going to the **** hole! But as an F-body owner I am going to OWN ******* anything that is not an F-body to show that LT1's and LS1's will alway be fastest, better looking, and one of the best muscle cars that were ever Produced! The new Mustang got so much hype and soon as it was put on the roads of colorado my 01 WS6 walked it's *** left to right ! **** em' all... Let the Ford,Mitsu,Subaru, and honda OWNING begin! Can I getta AMEN!

Amen brotha!!

PHR has been doing the story preceeding GM's down swing...that's why BigSmall.
Old 05-19-2005, 11:02 PM
TECH Regular

I don't think this bodes well for GM. Stock is in the toilet, no interesting rwd vehicles to speak of besides the Vette, and typically late to market in keeping up with the latest trends. Talk about falling asleep at the wheel...
Old 05-20-2005, 12:10 AM
TECH Junkie

i dont quite understand GM... so they drop all these projects for the RWD cars... bc why? they dont have a reason? Bc of gas mileage? Hell.. who needs gas mileage when your buying a Camaro.. you know what your going to be doing with it.. especially if you are one of us (ls1 tech ppl). So instead of RWD.. they build more and more "Supped up" SUVs and Trucks? Talk about gas mileage.. lol any guesses on what the Trailblazer SS will get... not very good..

So.. i still dont see a reason to not create a new camaro or come up with new ideas. Hell, if you took a handful of members from this site, in a years time some of these guys could come up with the perfect machine and destory every other automaker out there... maybe GM is out of money to even start new projects... i have no idea, i guess you'll never know whats really up unless you are the CEO of the company yourself.
Old 05-20-2005, 05:23 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by GirlsDoItRight
i dont quite understand GM... so they drop all these projects for the RWD cars... bc why? they dont have a reason? Bc of gas mileage? Hell.. who needs gas mileage when your buying a Camaro.. you know what your going to be doing with it.. especially if you are one of us (ls1 tech ppl). So instead of RWD.. they build more and more "Supped up" SUVs and Trucks? Talk about gas mileage.. lol any guesses on what the Trailblazer SS will get... not very good..

So.. i still dont see a reason to not create a new camaro or come up with new ideas. Hell, if you took a handful of members from this site, in a years time some of these guys could come up with the perfect machine and destory every other automaker out there... maybe GM is out of money to even start new projects... i have no idea, i guess you'll never know whats really up unless you are the CEO of the company yourself.

I think GM is trying to find a more affordable platform for the RWD car since the Zeta (as is) is too expensive to bring to North America and build an affordable RWD V8 that so many are looking for. That is one reason they have been looking at an extended Kappa platform for a RWD V8 that is affordable. We want a Camaro that can be had for $25k and compete with the Mustang GT and beat it.

Also, with the Billions of dollars that GM has lost in the last 6 to 9 months I am sure they have to tighten their belts and try to reduce costs and increase profits as much as possible.

Gm has also been and continuing to lay off 8,000 white-collar workers in North America.

Many think GM was too big for their britches and made too many management mistakes and now that they are hemorrhaging dollars they are starting to realize it and have to make changes. Hopefully to get their **** together quick so we can have some hope of a Camaro to hit the scene again. But, with Lutz giving all of North America to Wagoner and the Koreans at Daewoo handling all of the Chevrolet design I do not know what to expect from GM anymore???

But I do think that GM should have fired their management first before laying off their white collar people. After all it is management fault that they are in this predicament to begin with and I expect that current management still has a lot of kiss asses that will continue to repeat past mistakes.
Old 05-20-2005, 07:39 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ActionJack
the Koreans at Daewoo handling all of the Chevrolet design
This confuses me. I'm not quite sure how a Korean who probably has no clue about the history of the Camaro would be able to design one that truely looks like a Camaro.

Now, that wasn't a racial statement, so don't go jumping down my throat. I am simply implying that what does Korea know about the Camaro.
Old 05-20-2005, 08:53 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by DMNSPD
This confuses me. I'm not quite sure how a Korean who probably has no clue about the history of the Camaro would be able to design one that truely looks like a Camaro.

Now, that wasn't a racial statement, so don't go jumping down my throat. I am simply implying that what does Korea know about the Camaro.
WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY JUMPING DOWN YOUR THROAT!!!!

J/K

GM is using Daewo for the Chevrolet designs and their Korean designers are handling the all new image for Chevrolet.

As to the Camaro... who knows?

I know Kris Horton (the guy that did the famous design that many enthusiasts likes) was hired by another company when he recently graduated from college and GM did not want him. So, IF we see another Camaro it may be designed by GMs Korean design team.

Here is some moe info:

"We don't want to have a global Chevy and a North American Chevy. Really, we can get to one Chevy," Lyon says. "We've been working on what is that look. It's been a collaborative North America-GM Daewoo project," led by Ed Welburn, GM's head of global design."

LINK TO SOURCE

Last edited by ActionJack; 05-20-2005 at 09:01 AM.
Old 05-20-2005, 08:56 AM
12 Second Club

I agree with most of you in this thread. GM needs to get off its a$$ and get things moving for us Fbody guys/gals. The new Mustang is a good car and all, but it also has no competition. The GTO does almost everything better, but since it costs so much more it's dethroned. If you ask me Ford knows there's no competition either and are taking advantage of it. They're selling a lot of them, but people are having to wait sometimes as long as 3-4 months before getting their GT. Imo, they're only letting so many out to be able to get full price for the GT cars. The GTO didn't have that luxury because it wasn't built here in the US and was shipped here in bulk and just sat on the lots.

Another thing, how in the hell is a RWD platform so difficult to come up with. It's not like it's a new idea. The other day I saw a "disco" Nova (late 70's) on the cover of a magazine. I also saw a few at the dragstrip and a few on my local streets that were built into street/drag machines. I remember when nobody wanted to do anything with those cars and then I realized why they're now ok to modify. They're RWD.

Come on GM. Time is wasting and everyday there's a bunch of mustangs being sold without the new Fbody. Stop being such pansies and talk to us the customer. Bring back a new Camaro/Firebird. I don't car if it's retro or not, as long as it's got RWD, V8 and a solid rear axle that won't break so easily. I'm not against IRS, but put an irs in that can handle some power.

As far as the retro styling goes, I'm not too crazy about it as far as the front end goes. The Fbody for the last 20 years has been getting sleeker and sleeker, so a brick wall nose on the front of the car won't help at speeds over 100mph. That's probably one of the reasons the mustang hasn't had that great of top end like the fbody.

Sorry for the rant. I just wish things were farther along than they are as far as the new fbody. It's been almost 4 years and that's been too long. If they were ready to buy tomorrow, I'd try to be the first in line to get one.
Old 05-31-2005, 01:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FWIW...

"Zeta is dead" != "Camaro is dead"

Quick Reply: Zeta Dead - Camaro Rebirth Miscarries