Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

2006 Subaru Impreza

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2005 | 08:09 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 11 Bravo
If it were a 2 door, maybe ordered without the big wing and a grill that wasn't so.... ugly then I would put it in with the Supra, RX7, ect group. Mechanically is has potential but it is butt ugly. The original topic that the poster made discussed only looks, not performance. Naturally when I made a negative comment about looks, only performance was discussed and feelings were hurt. And it looks like something a designer would draw while taking acid. Like large women, it would be fun to drive as long as no one sees you.
FWIW Subaru and Mitsubishi didn't design the EVO/STi to be pretty, they designed them to be functional. All the silly stuff (Deep air-damn, huge wing, silly hood scoopsm etc) were designed that way for Rally Racing, they had to put them on the StreetCars for homologation purposes. (This is mid 1990s). The "look" became popular in it's own right because it was true race functionality. If anything the Supra and RX7 are MORE RICEY than the STi and EVO, because their swoops, spoilers and air intakes are purely cosmetic to look faster than it really is.

To your comment above about being a dying breed and loving the roar of a V8, the Torque, etc. I'm with you there, but I want that Roar to be backed with a bite. All show and no go is rice. Thats why I like a 9 second Suzuki GSXR-1000 over a 15 Second Chopper with a fat rear tire and no mufflers. If you've got the meanest sounding bike/car out there it better "BE" the meanest.... otherwise you're just bluffing.
Old 06-08-2005 | 10:28 AM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Originally Posted by Shinkaze
FWIW Subaru and Mitsubishi didn't design the EVO/STi to be pretty, they designed them to be functional.
That's what I like about them (WRX and EVO). Living here in the north east, if I had to buy a new car that got half way decent fuel mileage, had a useable trunk and back seat that was nimble (I've driven a WRX and was impressed), that had all season driveability, with some acceleration to it, this is what I'd get. I'm not in that market (for now) as I have a DD and am looking for the performance car.

I am unimpressed with the facelift. I like the 04/05 front ends personally, and this kinda looks like the alfa romao (like others noted). I think the 2jz motor is a great design, but their 5 spds need to be improved, and quite honestly for the base models (straight impreza and WRX) they need to take their 6 spd with the first 5 gear ratios and add a tall overdrive to help out fuel economy. If this were the case and it got better than about 27 mpg, I might ditch my current f-body search and go with one of these.

Now, if GM was making something that was stylish, performance oriented, practicle, AWD, 4 or 2d, 6spd, 30+ MPG, I'd be all over that in a heart beat.
Old 06-11-2005 | 02:14 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by sb427f-car
That's what I like about them (WRX and EVO). Living here in the north east, if I had to buy a new car that got half way decent fuel mileage, had a useable trunk and back seat that was nimble (I've driven a WRX and was impressed), that had all season driveability, with some acceleration to it, this is what I'd get. I'm not in that market (for now) as I have a DD and am looking for the performance car.

I am unimpressed with the facelift. I like the 04/05 front ends personally, and this kinda looks like the alfa romao (like others noted). I think the 2jz motor is a great design, but their 5 spds need to be improved, and quite honestly for the base models (straight impreza and WRX) they need to take their 6 spd with the first 5 gear ratios and add a tall overdrive to help out fuel economy. If this were the case and it got better than about 27 mpg, I might ditch my current f-body search and go with one of these.

Now, if GM was making something that was stylish, performance oriented, practicle, AWD, 4 or 2d, 6spd, 30+ MPG, I'd be all over that in a heart beat.
I think you mean EJ25. And while it is a great motor, the Toyota 2JZ would bury that thing alive. The 2JZ is a work of art and capable of over 1000hp. Right up there with the Small Block Chevy on the bad-***-o-meter. FWIW we're the only region that gets our Rex STis with EJ25s. Everyone else gets the EJ20 (which we still get in the standard WRX) which I hear is actually a better motor, but since Americans tend to be bigger torque ******, Scooby chose to go with the larger engine in the states.
Old 06-11-2005 | 02:22 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by mgreen
I think one of the problems is that people, (11 Bravo for instance), have blown the term "Rice" out of proportion.

Rice used to mean all show, no go. . . big wings and/or body kits on 16 & 17 second cars. Graphics, fart cans, etc. Lowering a car to the point that it results in worse handling. . .

Not only is the STI NOT SLOW or poor at handling, it is better than average in all performance categories.

11 Bravo strikes me as the kind of person who calls TwinTurbo Supras Rice.

Mike
Ah, a fellow observant and intelligent poster.
Old 06-11-2005 | 06:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by bruddah_man_matt
Ah, a fellow observant and intelligent poster.
Yeah, so observant that he didn't see where I posted that I like turbo Supras
Old 06-12-2005 | 08:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 11 Bravo
Yeah, so observant that he didn't see where I posted that I like turbo Supras
Haha, you're right. I was actually so amazed and thought you were crazy that I went right past that part. (now bear with me since I didn't go back and read the rest of you posts again for review)

Regardless, stock for stock the STI is right up there with the Supra. I don't see how 4 doors makes a car rice. . . or 4 cylinders. . . ( although, if I read correctly that still doesn't bother you).

The car is so different from the base impreza. . . and the 2.5L is actually kinda torquey. And yes, I know what torque is because one of my bro's previous vehicles was a Syclone that went 11.0@126 on a weak 60ft. . . had maybe 700ft/lbs of torque.

The 2.0 in the Evo may feel pretty weak & have more turbo lag down low than the 2.5. Also, I'm sure when the Supra came out people said stuff about it's torque, and they still do. . .

I don't care about peoples opinions of the looks, but your comments also made it sound like you think the car is a POS. The car is a driver's car that doesn't look that great. ahhh well.
Old 06-13-2005 | 08:29 AM
TECH Addict

more

Old 06-13-2005 | 10:39 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Shinkaze
you dont say?
Old 06-13-2005 | 10:46 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Pontiacdreamin
you dont say?
the Admin of SuabruNews.net sent me a note on my StreetFire news Section asking he be properly sourced on all stuff from his site.... Just being compliant..
Old 06-15-2005 | 08:22 AM
On The Tree

people nowadays
Old 06-17-2005 | 05:29 PM
TECH Resident

Well just as I did with Audi and its new horse collar grille theme, I'm reversing my previous statement on the new Scooby look after seeing this http://www.worldcarfans.com/news.cfm/newsid/2050616.001

I guess it helps to see the car from different angles because this pic along with another my friend sent me really made the car look good. FWIW the New Impreza has just gone on sale in Japan. As time passes I'm finding myself loving more of these love it or hate it styling decisions.
Old 07-24-2005 | 04:01 PM
Launching!

I hope that thing looks better in person. Why and I always at the track and see those things not run better than 14 sec in 1/4 mile???
Old 07-24-2005 | 05:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

To call the new WRX ugly would be a huge understatement.

Quick Reply: 2006 Subaru Impreza