Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

LS2 Power for Saturn Sky and Pontiac Solstice.

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2005, 01:55 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The trans in the Solstice is an AISIN 5-speed.
Old 06-09-2005, 01:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Why doesn't GM make one of these, oh excuse me they do not want to step on the Vettes' toes.
Old 06-09-2005, 04:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by WECIV
Why doesn't GM make one of these, oh excuse me they do not want to step on the Vettes' toes.
What's wrong with people making their own? The CTS-V already got the ZO6's engine the year it came out at the same power, and the GTO and SSR got the LS2 the same year the new Corvette debuted. The heirarchy is more or less gone.
Old 06-09-2005, 07:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Well, I hope GM makes one of these. That would really interest me!!!
Old 06-10-2005, 02:45 AM
MASS seller approved

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TriShield
What's wrong with people making their own? The CTS-V already got the ZO6's engine the year it came out at the same power, and the GTO and SSR got the LS2 the same year the new Corvette debuted. The heirarchy is more or less gone.
But the CTS-V got a lower HP rating, and the big thing, it isnt anywheres near as fast the Z06. GM will never let another car be faster than the Corvette. Same thing with the GTO and SSR
Old 06-10-2005, 10:02 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Tim @ EADPerformance
But the CTS-V got a lower HP rating, and the big thing, it isnt anywheres near as fast the Z06. GM will never let another car be faster than the Corvette. Same thing with the GTO and SSR
As a point of fact this isn't True. In the 1980's the Buick Grand national and 20th Anniversary Trans Am were faster than the Corvette.

Also The Suzuki GSXR-1000 is significantly faster than the Vette.
Old 06-10-2005, 10:43 AM
MASS seller approved

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Shinkaze
As a point of fact this isn't True. In the 1980's the Buick Grand national and 20th Anniversary Trans Am were faster than the Corvette.

But GM will never let that happen again. I knew the GNs were faster, didn't realize the 20th TA was.
Old 06-10-2005, 11:01 AM
JS
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Exactly,GM let it happen twice....
It wont happen again..
Old 06-10-2005, 11:06 AM
TECH Junkie

Don't forget the GMC Syclone either - stock for stock it would have given any contemporary L98 (or LT1 for that matter) Vette a run for its money - in a 1/4-mile anyway.
Old 06-10-2005, 12:27 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Fulton 1
Don't forget the GMC Syclone either - stock for stock it would have given any contemporary L98 (or LT1 for that matter) Vette a run for its money - in a 1/4-mile anyway.
I think the Syclone came out when the ZR1 did, thats why I didn't mention it.

My Mantra:
If the impossible happens once, it will likely happen again. If the impossible happens twice, then not only is it possible, it's highly likely.

FWIW If the Corvette Z06 is the new glass cieling, then they're allready breaking it with the Suzuki GSXR-1000. (GM is a majority shareholder of Suzuki). Also GM has had no problem with cars out-performing the Vette is specific areas such as handling (Lotus Esprit during the 1980's, Fiero vs. C3, 20th TA vs. C4), Acceleration (Lotus Esprit during the 1980's, F-Body & Grand National vs. Vette). This is especially true when GM has a high end Vette. (an Automatic 2.73 C5 Vette is slower than a F-Body 6-speed Ram Air).
Old 06-10-2005, 03:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

My Mantra:
If the impossible happens once, it will likely happen again. If the impossible happens twice, then not only is it possible, it's highly likely.

FWIW If the Corvette Z06 is the new glass cieling, then they're allready breaking it with the Suzuki GSXR-1000. (GM is a majority shareholder of Suzuki). Also GM has had no problem with cars out-performing the Vette is specific areas such as handling (Lotus Esprit during the 1980's, Fiero vs. C3, 20th TA vs. C4), Acceleration (Lotus Esprit during the 1980's, F-Body & Grand National vs. Vette). This is especially true when GM has a high end Vette. (an Automatic 2.73 C5 Vette is slower than a F-Body 6-speed Ram Air).
So you think that GM will build a V8 Solstice? That would be great, but I don't think its gonna happen. I don't think GM will openly allow another sports car they build to be equal or superior to the Corvette. They (Corvette Group) were pissed off in 87 when the 300 hp Buick GNX came out. They also threw a fit when the CTS-V got the LS6. They want the Corvette to remain the "king of the hill" and that's understandable. The Corvette is Gm's flagship.
In the 80s there was still enough product differences for the divisions to compete against one another. Unlike today where
everything is shared. Even if you mention the Buick vs. Corvette senario, that's a sedan vs. a sports car, so they aren't the same thing. And the GNX was a rare, one year model anyway. I haven't read anywhere that the 89 turbo T/A was faster or handled better than a Corvette. It only had 10 more rated hp and weighed more than the Vette anyway. As far as Lotus, they aren't a GM division like Pontiac, Buick or even Saab. And I think the Corvette out accelerated/handled the Espirit Turbo. They even made a print ad out of it. it wasn't until the Espirit got the ZR1 V8 in the 90s that it got supercar fast. And Suzuki? A crotch rocket is a completely different kind of vehicle, it shouldn't count.
Sorry such a long post!
Old 06-10-2005, 03:46 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by dgformula2k
So you think that GM will build a V8 Solstice?
Didn't say that, I did say that Corvette is not so sacred inside GM that they'd artifically keep other cars below it.
That would be great, but I don't think its gonna happen. I don't think GM will openly allow another sports car they build to be equal or superior to the Corvette. They (Corvette Group) were pissed off in 87 when the 300 hp Buick GNX came out. They also threw a fit when the CTS-V got the LS6. They want the Corvette to remain the "king of the hill" and that's understandable. The Corvette is Gm's flagship.
I'm sure they did throw a fit, but the corvette designers don't drive GM policy.
In the 80s there was still enough product differences for the divisions to compete against one another. Unlike today where
everything is shared.
Actually the reverse is true, GM now understands (unlike Roger Smith did in the 1980's) That too much homologation dilutes brand. Divisions are being given more autonomy now instead of less.(Thought I agree with you they had more individuality in the 1980's when Smith wrecked them. )
Even if you mention the Buick vs. Corvette senario, that's a sedan vs. a sports car, so they aren't the same thing. And the GNX was a rare, one year model anyway. I haven't read anywhere that the 89 turbo T/A was faster or handled better than a Corvette. It only had 10 more rated hp and weighed more than the Vette anyway.
I'm not sure that third gen 20th TA weighed more than the C4 Vette. It was a better handler though. It was the first and only car Autoweek ever tested to exceed 1.0Gs on the skidpad until the Ferrari F40 came out. In terms of power it run mid 13's which was better than the Vettes of the day. Mostly due to the fact you could build boost against the converter (200R) while staging. One of those nice little Turbo Engine + Automatic tricks.
As far as Lotus, they aren't a GM division like Pontiac, Buick or even Saab.
No, they were. In the 1980's they were wholey owned jsut as SAAB is today. They were later sold.
And I think the Corvette out accelerated/handled the Espirit Turbo.
The Corvette of Today outhandles and out acclerates the Esprit of Yesterday. The Corvette of Yesterday did not.
They even made a print ad out of it. it wasn't until the Espirit got the ZR1 V8 in the 90s that it got supercar fast.
The Esprit has never used a ZR1 Motor.

Lotus did however design the ZR1 motor, but the V8 used in the Esprit is an Esprit-only motor.

"SuperCar Fast" is a relative term Supercars of the 1980s ran in the 13s and 14s, and the Lotus Esprit was one of them.
And Suzuki? A crotch rocket is a completely different kind of vehicle, it shouldn't count.
but still a vehicle nonethless.
Sorry such a long post!
Keep em comming, quality posts are what make this forum enjoyable to read.
Old 06-10-2005, 08:46 PM
TECH Junkie

The Syclone was introduced in 1991(1/2?), which, of course, was the 2nd year of the KOTH, but my point was that it could hang with SOME of the contemporary Vettes, if not all of them. Of course, the point could be debated that the Syclone could beat a ZR-1 in the 1/8-mile - especially with the latter's stock grandma 3.45 rear gear, but I can't confirm that since I never saw said matchup happen. I have seen bone stock Syclones run in the VERY low-14s out here in the PNW and I have also seen ****-poor ZR-1 drivers in the mid-14's (I beat one twice, back-to-back, in my POS LT1 A4 C4 - not that it matters).

You're right, though, Adam, in that the Vette hasn't always been the fastest GM product. The Suzuki thing is a bit of stretch, though, don't you think?
Old 06-10-2005, 10:07 PM
TECH Addict

The Syclone was introduced in 1991(1/2?), which, of course, was the 2nd year of the KOTH, but my point was that it could hang with SOME of the contemporary Vettes, if not all of them. Of course, the point could be debated that the Syclone could beat a ZR-1 in the 1/8-mile - especially with the latter's stock grandma 3.45 rear gear, but I can't confirm that since I never saw said matchup happen. I have seen bone stock Syclones run in the VERY low-14s out here in the PNW and I have also seen ****-poor ZR-1 drivers in the mid-14's (I beat one twice, back-to-back, in my POS LT1 A4 C4 - not that it matters).

You're right, though, Adam, in that the Vette hasn't always been the fastest GM product. The Suzuki thing is a bit of stretch, though, don't you think?
*sigh*... bike owners get no respect
Old 06-12-2005, 07:27 PM
10 second playa

*sigh*... bike owners get no respect
Dont forget about the Hayabusa.

The bikes also get better gas mileage.

The bikes are 1/5th the cost.

The bikes are less to insure.

Lets see you ride a wheelie in a Vette!

Bang for the buck, nothing beats a motorcycle.

Just don't ride it in the snow (sort of like a Vette)
Old 06-12-2005, 08:11 PM
TECH Junkie

I was wondering. Didn't the A4 Vettes come with 3.15 instead of 2.73 rear ends?
Old 06-12-2005, 08:19 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by WECIV
I was wondering. Didn't the A4 Vettes come with 3.15 instead of 2.73 rear ends?
2.73 is standard, 3.15 is the optionsl performance axle ratio on the automatic Vette.
Old 06-12-2005, 10:46 PM
TECH Resident

Yah ain't no way the Gixxer falls into the GM folder. When you talk about Gixxer's no one things GM. A Gixxer is about as GM as a Scooby Rex STi.
Old 06-13-2005, 01:43 AM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by bruddah_man_matt
Yah ain't no way the Gixxer falls into the GM folder. When you talk about Gixxer's no one things GM. A Gixxer is about as GM as a Scooby Rex STi.
Doesn't GM own stock in the heavy industry company that owns Subaru?

Fuji heavy industries?

Old 06-13-2005, 01:55 AM
TECH Junkie

Thanks for the info. They should have offered the 3.23.

Quick Reply: LS2 Power for Saturn Sky and Pontiac Solstice.