Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Wyotech?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2005, 01:09 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can speak from the point of view of a UTI/NTI Grad. I went there after having grown up around racecars, street rods muscle cars etc. When I went I was way ahead of my class. At that point I was 20 and had done fabrication, tuning, engine and chassis building , supercchargers, turbos nitrous,etc and wanted to work on a NASCAR team. They didn't do **** to help me get a NASCAR job and actually told us NOT TO TRY TO GET A NASCAR JOB OURSELVES that we would just be bugging them. TOTAL BS. I pissed off teachers that I had because they could not answer any questions only tell me they would check into it. MOST not all of the teachers were dumbasses. The rules are bullshit. I was kicked out of class for having long hair and the wrong shoes. The dean or whatever the **** the head of the school was called told me "not all of our rules have to be in a book we can change them whenever we want". The whole town of Mooresville hates the students. Out of over a dozen people I went there with that I still talk to 1 works for a hooter pro cup team but had nothing to do with NTI. The rest work at dealerships rangeing from Jaguar and Porsche, to Ford. DO NOT go there if you want to work in racing because they don't encourage it. I decided to just say **** it and open my own shop. Basicly all I got from going to NTI/UTI is a lot of debt. DO NOT GO THERE. If there is any questions from anyone about this feel free to PM me. Also any current students does Dehart or Ramey still work there? Sorry for the long rant.
Old 12-31-2005, 11:18 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jlm44
I just graduated from the Wyotech West Sacramento class in Chassis Fab and High Performance Engines and I must say that this campus should be shut down. I would say that most of the instructor are inexperianced and the most don't last longer then 3-6 months at a time before quiting or getting fired. Most of the material is out dated and not with the times. The class I was in was the first class at this campus and I must say that I really wish that I had never attended. Most of the graduates from this campus are not able to get really good jobs. Lets put it this way, this campus is so desparate for instructors that they have hired kids to work for them. I personally would say that if you are planning on attending Wyotech don't go to this campus go to Wyoming or UTI. If could go back in time I would have attended SAM's racing.
Don't listen to this guy, he's just bitter because he bought into what they were selling him. ALL of these schools are more or less the same, they're out there to take your money from you. You can get what you want out of them. I watched kids sleep for 9 months and still graduate. They're the ones that go out, get a job, know nothing and get fired. I too just graduated from WyoTech with an AA in Service Management. I already have a kickass job because of this school. If you paid attention when you were there you would have noticed that the curriculum is exactly the same as the Wyoming campus, hell most of the books still had information on things specific to Wyoming. What did you expect? Really?
Old 01-01-2006, 10:11 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 1970camaroRS
Don't listen to this guy, he's just bitter because he bought into what they were selling him. ALL of these schools are more or less the same, they're out there to take your money from you. You can get what you want out of them. I watched kids sleep for 9 months and still graduate. They're the ones that go out, get a job, know nothing and get fired. I too just graduated from WyoTech with an AA in Service Management. I already have a kickass job because of this school. If you paid attention when you were there you would have noticed that the curriculum is exactly the same as the Wyoming campus, hell most of the books still had information on things specific to Wyoming. What did you expect? Really?

You are exactly right. I am going to NTI right now and its what you make it. You can be a slacker or w/e and not get a damn thing out of it or you can pay attention and learn. I am only in my second phase and there is a lot of information to be learned from the teachers. All you have to do is ask questions and want to get something out of it and screw off and you will get a decent job and learn a lot. They make the dress code very clear in orientation. And if you dont meet it or follow it you will get sent home. Its not rocket science . Kids from my class had got sent home too already but i follow it and havent had a single problem. And i can see how people would be kind of upset about having 2,000 kids just come into my town and from all over the country. But we ruined that for ourselves by screwing off and racing around town. You can ask any of the teachers, the reason why the town doesnt like us is because we have made a bad impression from day one. Mooresville is a small town that nearly doubled in population in the last 10 years. I am sure people that have lived here for all their lives wouldnt be too happy about it. I know i would be. But i am just here to get my education and move on with my life. School it whatever you want to make it. Im sure i wont be happy with everthing but thats everywhere you go.
Old 01-05-2006, 08:47 AM
Banned

Flame suit on...........

Has anybody considered taking automotive courses at a community college? I went though college of dupage automotive program, cost roughly $2000 a year and was paid in full by my employer. So I have no debt, cert. ASE master tech, and am now a journeymen at a dealership. I'm not a super tech, theirs guys that are better then me, i'm 23 and their 35+ y/o, I give them respect.

The school of choice isn't going to make you worlds best tech overnight, we have guys fresh out of UTI changing oil.....

UTI, Wyotech, Lincoln tech are all in the same business, make money. So remember that. You're community colleges not only do you pay for in property tax, so why not use it? I also completed an associate degree going though community college, I could have just done automotive classes and stayed with my automotive certificate.

What nobody ever talks about in any automotive school discussion is the 4 year colleges that have automotive engineering technology programs (BS degree), Southern Illinois U- Carbondale, Ferris State, Kettering University(formerly GMI), U of colorado. Ferris state offers engine machine shop elective courses, and engine performance electives.

The only vocational (non-college) school I would consider spending a dime at is SAM.

Quick Reply: Wyotech?