Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

The Much Talked About Mallett Solstice V8

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2005, 09:12 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't believe the 18 grand mallet Solstice includes the upgraded tranny or rear differential.

Thats an extra cost option I believe. (I could be wrong but I don't think so)

I doubt the Solstice V8 with a proper radiator/tranny and differential that holds up will weigh less than C6 so performance will not likely be better and the car will cost more than a C6 six speed.

I like the idea of preowned solstices down the road as a donor car. Now that makes more sense to me..

JMO
Old 11-05-2005, 02:51 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Phoenix57
a V8 solstice could take the banchee name, (the 2 seater pontiac Delorean wanted to make but was too close to the corvette as far as performance, so we got "stuck" with the firebird)
Yeah, that would be justice served since the original 1964 Banshee styling was used by Chevrolet for the 1968 Vette.

http://www.carstyling.ru/resources/c...banshee_02.jpg
http://www.carstyling.ru/resources/c...banshee_04.jpg

http://www.4wheelz.com/chevrolet/ret...vette_1968.jpg
http://www.riekmann.prohosting.com/m...abrio_1968.jpg
Old 11-05-2005, 09:43 PM
TECH Junkie

If they priced one around 25-29 grand I would buy one! I wish GM would make one!!!
Old 11-07-2005, 09:33 AM
TECH Addict

So now the $40,000 Question.

2,950 Pound 400hp Pontiac Solstice
or
1,850 pound 195hp Lotus Elise

They cost about the same have about the same power to weight ratio. The Elise will probably eat the Solstice for lunch in the twisties, but the Pontiac actually will have a liveable interior. The Elise has a stereo and climate control, but thats about it.
Old 11-07-2005, 12:51 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Shinkaze
So now the $40,000 Question.

2,950 Pound 400hp Pontiac Solstice
or
1,850 pound 195hp Lotus Elise

They cost about the same have about the same power to weight ratio. The Elise will probably eat the Solstice for lunch in the twisties, but the Pontiac actually will have a liveable interior. The Elise has a stereo and climate control, but thats about it.
I went and sat in a Soltice this weekend. Much wider than expected. However, no truck room at all!! Even with the top up, you could only get a few grocery bags in there! But, that being said, the interior was REALLY nice. Very comfortable, very sports-car feel.

The Elise is cool, but not likely as a daily driver. I'd drive an LS2 Soltice daily. It's not the only car we have, so it works. We have the Chevy HHR for the dog/groceries/trips. Her Mustang to pretend we're going fast (she likes it - I just dig the sound!!), and my old Trans Am for the dragstrip/car shows.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:22 PM
TECH Addict

Yea, If I was just buying a Toy, I would still get an Elise over a V8 solstice, but if I was buying a car I would drive more than 10 miles a week, then the Solstice is probably better....damn I must be getting old.
Old 11-08-2005, 12:21 PM
12 Second Club

The more I think about this car, the more I realize how similar it is to the BMW Z8/Alpina Roadster. The Bimmer's got a longer nose, but they're about the same width and with 400 horses, same power. Maybe I can put the BMW emblem on and call it the 2007 BMW Z8 - I got it cheap!!
Attached Thumbnails The Much Talked About Mallett Solstice V8-z8.jpg   The Much Talked About Mallett Solstice V8-z8-3.jpg   The Much Talked About Mallett Solstice V8-z8a.jpg  
Old 11-10-2005, 12:18 PM
12 Second Club

Well, I spoke to Chuck Mallett yesterday regarding the Mallett Solstice. I wanted to ask about emissions and getting the car inspected. No problem since it's the Corvette motor.

We talked for a good while and I found out some more very cool things:

1. The rear differential is the same as the CTS-V. I think this may have already been common knowledge, however, I know a lot of people have stated their fear of the LS2 ripping the transmission and rear-end out of the car. I think the diff can take it!

2. Speaking of transmissions, Chuck said that the car was just tested at Nelson-Ledges road course. The car did 18 HARD laps and the clutch and transmission held up with no problems. This is the standard transmission (Aisin) that's being offered; not the upgraded 6-speed.

3. While at the road course, the lap times were recorded. For reference, Chuck indicated that the Z06 (2004 version) did the course in 1 minute, 14 seconds. A C6 with the Z51 package runs the course in 1 minute, 18 seconds. Mallett's Solstice runs the same course identical to the Z51 equipped C6: 1 minute, 18 seconds. Pretty damn impressive considering the time Corvette engineers put into dailing-in the Z51!!! Check out the link: http://www.mallettcars.com/solstice-conversion.htm

4. Chuck stated (unofficially, wink, wink!!) that the car will eventually be offered exclusively at participating Pontiac dealers throughout the country. Similar to the Firehawk that SLP built. I'm envisioning more along the lines of Saleen, with only a handful of dealers that can order and deliver. Time will tell the true story on this one. Chuck couldn't give me any more details.

5. Lastly, Chuck said that despite recently picking up his 2006 Corvette Z06, he's having more fun driving the V8 Solstice!! Imagine, chosing the Solstice over driving the Z06!! Must be some wicked ride!!!

Brian

Last edited by BAD2000TA; 11-10-2005 at 02:56 PM.
Old 11-10-2005, 04:22 PM
TECH Junkie

personally, if i had the money, i would get a LS2 sky any day over the LS2 solsitce. this is truely the second coming of the horsepower age.

Quick Reply: The Much Talked About Mallett Solstice V8