Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Uncovered photos of NEW Dodge Challenger! 425hp & 6 speed manual! SMokin hot!

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 02:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fast on Chrysler's heels, General Motors Corp. is working on a rear-wheel drive platform to revive the Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird sport coupes, names brimming with nostalgia. A new Camaro or Firebird, which were discontinued in 2002, could debut by the end of the decade.
-Thats was quoted from the second article, the one JDUSTU posted. I like the way things are going so far. And yes that Challenger is ******* awesome they better build it.
-Joel
Old 11-21-2005, 03:39 PM
11 Second Club

If they build it, when 2009 comes if there is no pontiac to join my CE, I will own one.
Old 11-21-2005, 04:12 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 2000Hawk
Fast on Chrysler's heels, General Motors Corp. is working on a rear-wheel drive platform to revive the Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird sport coupes, names brimming with nostalgia. A new Camaro or Firebird, which were discontinued in 2002, could debut by the end of the decade.
-Thats was quoted from the second article, the one JDUSTU posted. I like the way things are going so far. And yes that Challenger is ******* awesome they better build it.
-Joel
As much as I would love to have a return of the Firebird I think the days of the bird are done. One of the failures of the F-Body platform that was cited was that there wasn't enough differentiation between the Bird and the Camaro, so they competed for the same customer and the same marketing dollars. Also they had to split R&D dollars between two platforms that effectively were competitors. Conversly the Mustang didn't have this problem. 100% of the marketing dollars for that segment platform went to one platform, as did 100% of the R&D. The last time Ford tried to compete with GM with (2) almost identicle platforms (the Mustang and Mercury Capri), GM outsold Ford. When Ford moved the Capri off the Mustang Platform, and moved the other Fox-Body platform cars into other segments, the Mustang passed the Camaro/Firebird and hasn't looked back sense.

The GTO is our Firebird, and if they bring back the Bird it will be at the sacrifice of the GTO brand.
Old 11-21-2005, 04:19 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bruddah_man_matt
Ok don't get me wrong, the Challenger is one hot piece. However... HOWEVER, if this car does get the green light, I will be very very nervous about the future of this car following this generations lifespan. Whereas the Charger and the 300 have just the right mix of retro and right now, the Challenger is all retro. Whereas this thing will strike a chord with nostalgic types and even a younger crowd (lets face it, E-Bodies are often regarded as the sexiest pony cars of the musclecar era), where do they go after this current design runs its course. As we've seen with the T-Bird and the New Beetle and to some extent the PT Cruiser, retro is always very risky. I just hope that DC doesn't stop the cash flow to its design department and continues to breed talents like the infamous Tom Gale because when it comes time to redesign this car, someone will have their work cut out for them. Despite my worries, my dreams have been confirmed, 6.1L Hemi, 6 speed stick, and a sexy body.
Matt is dead on in my opinion. There is only so much market for retro, and making a follow up retro car is difficult.

What happens when these retro cars are ten years old? You'll have a ten year old car that looks like a 35 year old car. Talk about low residuals. One thing import manufacturers do well that the big three haven't is visciously guard resale value. High resale value not only creates consumer confidence, but it also creates higher margins and a vibrant leasing population. True story, when I was car shopping, the Purchase price on an M3 was about the same as a leasing price on a CTS-V. The Lease price on the M3 was half as much as the CTS-V. (Of course I ended up buying used, but a lot of people in the $50K segment do in fact lease).
Old 11-21-2005, 05:42 PM
Banned

wow that looks SICK man chevy has dug itself into a pit which I don't think it can get out of they are losing alot of money
Old 11-21-2005, 05:53 PM
TECH Veteran

I'm chomping at the bit to see what Chrysler's SRT team is going to do with the new Challenger.

It has IRS, a manual transmission, and no V6 model either. Just 5.7 or 6.1 Hemi engines. Chrysler is on a roll with no sign of stopping yet.
Old 11-21-2005, 06:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

as for the eventual redesign questions, most of the "retro" cars thus far haven't been intended for long runs anyways, have they? the thunderbird bombed right out of the shoot, so it didn't warrant a redesign, and the cruiser was limited in what it could evolve into, but it's sold well for many years cuz nothing else has looked remotely like it(until the hhr, which is coming out as the cruiser's platform is abolished)....even the original challenger was only around for 5 years..... a lot of the money that's saved by sharing many components with other vehicles(like the pt cruiser did with the neon) is funneled right into keeping keeping the entire vehicle lineup looking fresh, that was one of the main points in dcx's restructuring plan that started 2 years ago..........the buying public wants "new" nameplates and new designs, not restamped bodys on old platforms...

they really better keep that 6 speed beyond the concept

i've heard a few different years for it's possible debut, but i think the last article said it'll be out in 2008 as a '09 model
Old 11-21-2005, 06:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

If there's one thing DCX is good at, it's going from concept to production.... and doing it fast enough to capture the demand. Some examples: Viper, Prowler and PT Cruiser (ugh). I'd bet the farm that the Challenger will make it to production, but it will probably be in moderate volume. It's no wonder why DCX is the only domestic carmaker NOT losing money by the day. It's really a unique idea that they've implemented... make cool cars that look cool and price them right.
Now on to my GM rant...I've always owned GM cars, but never in my 12 years of driving has there been a GM lineup so bland and boring as the 05 and 06. The idea GM has chosen to implement (thanks Lutz.. you dick) consists of a billion dollars to pull ahead their new SUV lineup. Gas prices are just brutal and SUV sales are falling through the floor. "But they're high profit vehicles" Well Lutz, profit margin doesn't mean **** if nobody wants to buy the cars and trucks. Take for instance, the C6 Z06.. people are paying 20K over sticker! Hmm, build a cool car and people buy it? Brilliant! I realize it's really low production, but it proves the point that if you build something people want, they'll pay any price.
I'll get off the soapbox because it's like a broken record. I just hate seeing the general sinking. It's like they sat down 5 years ago and had to make all of the business decisions for the next 10 years without any foresight whatsoever and now they're paying for it.
Old 11-21-2005, 06:39 PM
TECH Regular

I think this is the reason GM is doing so poorly; Dodge and yes I have to admit Ford are putting out cars(emphasis) not trucks that folks want to drive! I fear that by the time the Challenger and probably 6mths to a year later when the srt-8 folks get their hands on this model will it be too late for the '09 Camaro?
Old 11-21-2005, 06:42 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OMG!! OMG!! OMG!! OMG!! OMG!! OMG!! OMG!! OMG!! OMG!! OMG!!

My dad is going to **** his pants when I show him those pictures!

I REALLY hope they build it, I would take that over a vette!
Old 11-21-2005, 07:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Chrysler expects to sell only 5,000 - 10,000 per year. For those who don't like retro copies Chrysler already makes the 300, Charger and Magnum all of which are equal parts modern and old school. Everyone who moaned about the Charger not being a General Lee ripoff can buy the Challenger instead.
Old 11-21-2005, 11:03 PM
TECH Resident

"If you build it, they will come" Would be kind of cool to see an AAR or T/A version. I wonder if they will make the side exit exhaust.
Old 11-21-2005, 11:51 PM
Ginger Hater

not a fan of the tail lights, but the rest of it looks great
Old 11-22-2005, 06:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Old 11-22-2005, 07:21 AM
TECH Junkie

dayum nelly! I think that would look real sexy sitting next to my bird
Old 11-22-2005, 08:54 AM
On The Tree

Looks like we will finally have a new muscle car era in a few years if all goes well with the Challenger & Camaro. I am damn impressed that there has been no leaked photos/sketches of the camaro concept yet, its going to make January that much sweeter!

This is also from autoweek:
Camaro coming

Dodge won’t get all the muscle car buzz with its Challenger concept at the Detroit auto show this January. Word is General Motors will show a Camaro concept on a stretched Kappa (Solstice, Sky) chassis. The car is set for production as a 2009 model, sources say.
Old 11-22-2005, 09:03 AM
Deranged Rat Fink

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like the days of the musclecar are returning! And none too soon IMO!
Old 11-22-2005, 09:57 AM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Honestly, that looks bad ***. If GM doens't give us a monster powered camaro that looks almost dead on to the Horton drawings, this is what I'll buy after I get my house.
Old 11-22-2005, 11:49 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by tmgsix
Looks like we will finally have a new muscle car era in a few years if all goes well with the Challenger & Camaro. I am damn impressed that there has been no leaked photos/sketches of the camaro concept yet, its going to make January that much sweeter!

This is also from autoweek:
Camaro coming

Dodge won’t get all the muscle car buzz with its Challenger concept at the Detroit auto show this January. Word is General Motors will show a Camaro concept on a stretched Kappa (Solstice, Sky) chassis. The car is set for production as a 2009 model, sources say.
Ah just as I thought. With Zeta somewhat out of the picture, there were talks of building the Camaro off of a Sigma-Lite platform, or a stretched Kappa (dubbed Beta) platform and it looksl like they're going with Beta. Makes more sense as Beta is supposedly cheaper, and Holden did say that the Torana concept (which was built off of a stretched Kappa platform) is capable of housing an LS2 in place of the concepts twin turbo 3.6L DOHC HF V6. .
Old 11-22-2005, 11:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

depending on how the camaro turns out, looks like I found my next car.

Quick Reply: Uncovered photos of NEW Dodge Challenger! 425hp & 6 speed manual! SMokin hot!