Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

SLP and the SS Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 09:27 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Oh, it's great info. Here's a new tidbit from over at 5thgen.org...

Originally Posted by JeffY
You're right in that all SS's went to SLP. Technically, they were only converted 96-97. In 98, the SS became an GM RPO and SLP became the Tier I supplier. In that sense, we didn't convert the car, since it started as a SS within the GM plant; we just finished the work we were contracted to, plus adding on any 2nd sticker content that was ordered. So, its a word game. What a lot of people didn't understand was the RPO process, and as a supplier, we installed the parts at our facility, rather than the parts being sent to Ste. Therese. But the bottom line is, EVERY SS went to our facility from 96-02.

After I typed all of the above, I just went back and looked at all of the threads. Lots of interesting stuff I never saw! Good thing, too. But to answer a question in some of those threads, the reason that ASC and SLP did the WS6 & SS is real simple. Ste. Therese was not equipped to handle or process those extra parts (hoods and spoilers). They didn't even have capacity for the extra wheels. Any interesting point was when GM asked SLP to do the 1LE cars as well. Assembly plants couldn't handle options that ran less than 3%, which 1LE was doing in the GM system. SLP said we'd do it, even though it'd appear to be not profitable. We were just trying to be a good supplier. Well, after we picked it, it went way over 3% (maybe 6%??) and we even had to get Koni to make more shocks than GM had anticipated.
http://www.5thgen.org/forum/showthread.php?t=11130

And moderators, feel free to move this to the appropriate section. I am not sure it actually fits in with Automotive Media.
Old 03-07-2009, 08:30 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ya, wow, 2005. I don't think there has been any talk of SLP having anything to do with the new Camaro. I like SLP, but they have always over rated the hp on their products a little, and they have always been on the expensive side. But for the most part they do make a quality product imo.
Old 03-11-2009, 02:41 PM
10 Second Club

Blame whoever you want. The only years where the SS/Firehawk were close to worth it were the ones you actually got a quicker car (91,92, and LT4 97 cars).
Old 03-12-2009, 08:04 AM
TECH Junkie

"And moderators, feel free to move this to the appropriate section. I am not sure it actually fits in with Automotive Media."

I think it fits here because with the demise of the go fast portion of GM...SLP or something like it is perhaps our only option to see a new Z/28...just as they created the SS in 96.

W
Old 03-12-2009, 09:18 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by WECIV
"And moderators, feel free to move this to the appropriate section. I am not sure it actually fits in with Automotive Media."

I think it fits here because with the demise of the go fast portion of GM...SLP or something like it is perhaps our only option to see a new Z/28...just as they created the SS in 96.

W
Maybe, but it would also be fine in the 5th gen section. It doesn't matter to me
Old 03-13-2009, 12:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have a friend who works at SLP, she said they already have a car there.

Quick Reply: SLP and the SS Camaro