Old 01-25-2006, 03:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry, not attempting to be rude.
Old 01-25-2006, 03:27 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by firecrotch59
Wasnt the lt5 built by Mercury Marine?? Or did they change their name to Mercruiser?
post #15...by "me":

The LT5 was developed jointly by England’s Lotus Engineering and GM Powertrain Division and manufactured by MerCruiser in Stillwater, Oklahoma.
Old 01-25-2006, 03:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JCurtin
well it would be nice to just select the engine without tacking on 10-12000 more dollars. If you want a stripper v8 and nothing else should be able to do it. Unlike dodge with the magnums or charger. Click hemi and you automatically click 10grand.
That's a slight exageration. More like $4K when you get the Hemi, but they throw in more than just the engine (leather interior, larger wheels, upgraded braking/exhaust/suspension, for example).
Old 02-01-2006, 05:59 PM
Staging Lane

"And for those of you who might say, “Well, the Challenger has 35 hp more,” I would just reply that we have a certified 1OO more on tap from the ZO6 engine, should the need arise." Bob Lutz http://fastlane.gmblogs.com/
Old 02-01-2006, 06:29 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ClaySS01
Sticky: Lutz: "all the way up to 500hp or whatever size V8 we have". (
For production we would obviously do like we did in the old days -- you would have a popular-priced six-cylinder version, then you step up to an eight, then you step up to the next eight, all the way up to 500 hp or whatever size V-8s we have. Any V-8 engine that General Motors manufactures today is potentially slated for this car. You always would like to keep the Corvette with a few horsepower more than a Camaro. Theoretically, anything is possible.

Sounds killer.

But why does the corvette have to have more HP? That IMO is not necessary. And when the Camaro had the same LS1 as the vette and dynoed the same, it was gay how GM under rated the Camaro and over rated the vette.

IMO - GM feels, in general, that vette owners are shallow and ignorant and that the vette owners need to be able to stat their car higher or something.
Old 02-01-2006, 06:30 PM
Launching!

Lt5 with a s/c (hey I can dream! lol), not to be to fordish but that would be sick!
Old 02-03-2006, 12:35 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Lutz
Lutz: "all the way up to 500hp .... Theoretically, anything is possible.
Theoretically, Lutz is a jackass. Stop with the bullshit and give us details Putz.
Old 02-03-2006, 12:45 PM
On The Tree

Jesus if they throw a mass produced LS7 type engine in, I'm saving money for the down payment the day it's announced
Old 02-03-2006, 01:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ClaySS01
"And for those of you who might say, “Well, the Challenger has 35 hp more,” I would just reply that we have a certified 1OO more on tap from the ZO6 engine, should the need arise." Bob Lutz http://fastlane.gmblogs.com/
Damn Lutz is dumb. Dodge has more power on tap too.
Old 02-03-2006, 02:32 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I thought I read or heard somewhere, someone said the days of the corvette having to have the highest hp was over. They went on to give examples of currently that the GTO had the same ls2 in it as the C6 'vette (pre LS7 Z06 of course) as well as the CTS-V. So who knows, they may make the LS7 an option if you want to pay for it. They could always just demod it by going to a normal sump oil pan, smaller cam, restrictive airbox etc.

Who knows for sure.... but at least there is hope.
Old 02-03-2006, 02:32 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BigDaddyBry
Damn Lutz is dumb. Dodge has more power on tap too.
How do you know that?
Old 02-03-2006, 03:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Trendkiller Z
How do you know that?
Use your head... common... you can do it... what two vehicles does dodge have with more than 425 hp.... I'll give you a hint, V...... I.... P... got it?
Old 02-03-2006, 03:46 PM
Mid
On The Tree

I doubt there will be an LS7 in a camaro, they need to keep the corvette faster, that would steal its sales...also I dont see the LS7 being mass-produced
Old 02-03-2006, 04:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

How do you know that?
Here is a link and a quote from this website: http://www.allpar.com/cars/dodge/challenger.html

"There are rumors that the new 392 Hemi crate engine, designed for racing, will go along with the new Dodge Challenger body. The 392 is apparently a racing-only engine in current form, not a production design, but a lower-power version may well be made for production and appear in the Challenger. The Challenger concept car to be shown at NAIAS (Detroit, January 2006; the Camaro will also be shown) uses, not surprisingly, the SRT-8 6.1 liter engine — but, unlike any current production LX car, it also has a six-speed manual gearbox. (Automobile suggested that the 510 horsepower 6.4 liter 392 Hemi might be used.) There are issues with the 392 - most notably the question of what untrained drivers will do with that much power. A fairly large number of Vipers left this world unexpectedly."

In addition to what LSONE said, assuming we stay with V8s, Dodge has the 392 available and they previously experimented with using a low boost Whipple supercharger on it's 5.7L Hemi before deciding on using the 6.1L in it's SRT-8 lineup. What if they put that Whipple on the 6.1L? It was rated for 425-450 in the 5.7L.

Remember, they have had a production 500+hp/500+tq engine for years longer than Chevy has the LS7. 14+ years now at 450+hp/450+tq vs 1 year for Chevy. The first production Viper rolled off the assembly line in Dec. 1991!
Old 02-03-2006, 05:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ActionJack
Sounds killer.

But why does the corvette have to have more HP? That IMO is not necessary. And when the Camaro had the same LS1 as the vette and dynoed the same, it was gay how GM under rated the Camaro and over rated the vette.

IMO - GM feels, in general, that vette owners are shallow and ignorant and that the vette owners need to be able to stat their car higher or something.
IMO its that they dont want the general public thinking the Camaro is as "good" or as "fast" as the more expencive Corvette.
They dont want people thinking "Hell, for less money Ill buy the Camaro and go just as fast!"
Old 02-03-2006, 06:02 PM
On The Tree

Here is a link and a quote from this website: http://www.allpar.com/cars/dodge/challenger.html

"There are rumors that the new 392 Hemi crate engine, designed for racing, will go along with the new Dodge Challenger body. The 392 is apparently a racing-only engine in current form, not a production design, but a lower-power version may well be made for production and appear in the Challenger. The Challenger concept car to be shown at NAIAS (Detroit, January 2006; the Camaro will also be shown) uses, not surprisingly, the SRT-8 6.1 liter engine — but, unlike any current production LX car, it also has a six-speed manual gearbox. (Automobile suggested that the 510 horsepower 6.4 liter 392 Hemi might be used.) There are issues with the 392 - most notably the question of what untrained drivers will do with that much power. A fairly large number of Vipers left this world unexpectedly."

In addition to what LSONE said, assuming we stay with V8s, Dodge has the 392 available and they previously experimented with using a low boost Whipple supercharger on it's 5.7L Hemi before deciding on using the 6.1L in it's SRT-8 lineup. What if they put that Whipple on the 6.1L? It was rated for 425-450 in the 5.7L.

Remember, they have had a production 500+hp/500+tq engine for years longer than Chevy has the LS7. 14+ years now at 450+hp/450+tq vs 1 year for Chevy. The first production Viper rolled off the assembly line in Dec. 1991!
I knew exactly where you and LSDOUCHE were going to go with it. You two are comparing Dodges supercar to a potentiall mid 20-30 thousand dollar vehicle. You have to be out of your mind to believe they will throw the V10 in the Challenger, it won't sell for 50+K. Not only that, the 392 you speak of hasn't even been confirmed for a production car and it's a race engine making 500hp, what will it be with a detuned version in a Challenger? Not only that, what about the upcoming 600hp SC 6.2L coming from GM? What does Dodge have coming out that is confirmed?.....nada. Hell, lets throw in the C6R engine if we are going to compare everything that's ever been associated with every carmaker.

Last edited by Trendkiller Z; 02-03-2006 at 06:07 PM.
Old 02-03-2006, 06:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

I knew exactly where you and LSDOUCHE were going to go with it. You two are comparing Dodges supercar to a potentiall mid 20-30 thousand dollar vehicle. You have to be out of your mind to believe they will throw the V10 in the Challenger, it won't sell for 50+K. Not only that, the 392 you speak of hasn't even been confirmed for a production car and it's a race engine making 500hp, what will it be with a detuned version in a Challenger? Not only that, what about the upcoming 600hp SC 6.2L coming from GM? What does Dodge have coming out that is confirmed?.....nada. Hell, lets throw in the C6R engine if we are going to compare everything that's ever been associated with every carmaker.
Bob Lutz, is this you?

You are as dumb as a box of rocks. You think you know where I'm going? I've been to where YOU think YOU are going and I have already finished my beer and am on my way back.

Get the facts straight my son. The first quote was that Lutz said more power was on tap and pointed to the LS7. My response (in a nutshell) was that if you want to compare engines, GM has done a poor job of keeping up to Dodge in the production marketplace. Dodge's comparable engine is over a decade old and they have already spoke of using an alternate V8 like GM has. Additionally, the LS7 is only speculation as it pertains to entry into the Camaro, as is the 392 into the Challenger.

Damn you're dumb, realize that I was bringing up ENGINES, not supercars.

As a side note: Do you think he'll throw in the engine from his supercar into the Camaro? I would assume that if it did happen, it would not be until the Z06 is moving on to a new/bigger engine and the LS7 could be mass-produced to bring the cost down.

You are a true example of why inbreeding results in offspring that should have been aborted.
Old 02-03-2006, 10:45 PM
On The Tree

Bob Lutz, is this you?

You are as dumb as a box of rocks. You think you know where I'm going? I've been to where YOU think YOU are going and I have already finished my beer and am on my way back.

Get the facts straight my son. The first quote was that Lutz said more power was on tap and pointed to the LS7. My response (in a nutshell) was that if you want to compare engines, GM has done a poor job of keeping up to Dodge in the production marketplace. Dodge's comparable engine is over a decade old and they have already spoke of using an alternate V8 like GM has. Additionally, the LS7 is only speculation as it pertains to entry into the Camaro, as is the 392 into the Challenger.

Damn you're dumb, realize that I was bringing up ENGINES, not supercars.

As a side note: Do you think he'll throw in the engine from his supercar into the Camaro? I would assume that if it did happen, it would not be until the Z06 is moving on to a new/bigger engine and the LS7 could be mass-produced to bring the cost down.

You are a true example of why inbreeding results in offspring that should have been aborted.
Dude, I agreed with most of what you were saying. LSDOUCHE is the one that mentioned the insane idea of the Viper engine. I understand you want to work from speculation on future engines. Your angle is quite off though, the LS7 has actually been produced while the 392 hasn't even been approved yet. As far as yuor off the wall joke of a comment that GM hasn't kept up with Dodge in the production marketplace....WTF WTF. Are you even talking about engines any longer? WTF has Dodge done in the racing world compared to GM? Answer: Not a GOT DAMN THING!!!!!!!!
Old 02-04-2006, 01:58 PM
TECH Addict

Lutz's entire statement was speculation on future vehicles. The 392 is less speculation than the 5th generation Camaro. Last time I looked the racing world has little to do with the production car industry.

Quick Reply: LS7 in camaro? = LUTZ