Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Looking for a Motor Trend article, Mustang vs Z28

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2006, 04:35 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pontiacdreamin
I think you got it backwards the camaro beat the mustang in the road course by 1 sec. Im pretty sure the drag race was within .1-.3 tenths because as i remember it they had to struggle to get the mustang to do its last run in the drag where it clicked off the best run of the day in the 1/4. i could be wrong but thats how i remeber it.

No actually I don't have it backwards but I did forget to mention that like the Camaro, the Mustang also imploded upon itself. In the C/D comparo it was declared a tie because the Mustang won at the strip, and the Camaro on the road course. They did NOT have to struggle with the Mustang. It has fairly consistent with it's 3 speed automatic. Much more so than the Camaro and it's 5 speed manual. On top of that the Camaro did in fact need repairs at the strip due to a broken rear end. The GM guys supposedly found replacement parts in the area where they were conducting tests. However I could be wrong but I think the Mustang may not have even finished the road course due to an oil pump failure as well as bent valves IIRC. This may be how the Camaro was able to take the Mustang on the road course despite the fact that all 5 of it's forward gears weren't exactly working properly.

FWIW, the Camaro supposedly ran a 9.5 1/4 a few years later, but that was on full slicks. On top of that, during the comparo, the Camaro was slightly more limited in terms of what width of tire could be stuffed under the fender. I believe the Mustang guys were able to get more tire under the rear fenders. Regardless, the Camaro got owned at the strip DURING THE COMPARISON. The numbers for the cars WHICH THEY ACTUALLY RAN DURING THE COMPARO EXCEPT FOR ONE EXCEPTION MENTIONED BELOW were as follows.

1994 Boss Mustang:
598cid V8 (9.8L)
855bhp/794lb-ft
0-60= 1.9sec
1/4mile=10.55 @135.05mph

2000 Camaro ZL1
572cid V8 (9.4L)
775bhp/683ft-lbs
0-60= 3.0sec
1/4 mile=11.01 @128.64mph.

THERE IS ONE EXCEPTION

At the last minute, John Moss an company swapped out the GM ZL1 572 motor for a Merlin block. However despite the 11th hour swap, the Camaro still couldn't keep up with the Mustang in a straight line so in the end it never really mattered. During the test, the Camaro was running the Merlin V8, NOT A MODDED GM 572 ZL1 ENGINE. I forget why, but they either fucked up the original motor, or Moss got scared at the last minute.

Regardless, the Mustang won the drag race.

Originally Posted by Blakbird24
There must have been more than one of these matchups. I saw one on speedvision, and later found it on Road&Track's website. However it was a 2000(body) ZL-1 with a 572 and an LS1-style SFI intake, the car was black with a silver hood scoop. The Boss was a 2001 Stang body with a big block of a size I cannot remember. I know the ZL-1 was said to pack 825hp and the Boss supposedly had 790hp. The ZL-1 made three decent 10-sec passes, but the Boss never finished a run. First run it shattered the rear, second run (with new beefier rear) it broke a pushrod. Then they gave up.

That's the only one i've seen, but I think it's an ongoing matchup.

The SVT Built car was a '94, NOT an '01. You're thinking of something else. The '94 Boss and the '00 ZL1 were THE pet projects of both companie's performance gurus. These two rides are what they brought to the table. This is THE comparo everyone talks about when they refer to the infamous ZL1 vs. Boss battle of 2000.

ZL1:

http://www.supercars.net/cars/2000@$...0Conceptg.html

Boss:

http://www.svt.ford.com/conceptLabBoss.asp

Boss Tech Specs:

http://www.svt.ford.com/download/con...ossMustang.pdf

Regardless of all this, both the Ford and Chevy IIRC went home with 0 oil pressure. The Stang was definitely built to tackle just a drag strip whereas GM built the ZL1 to tackle a road course as well. Hence the reason the Boss showed up with a 3 speed automatic compared to the Camaros 5 speed manual. A few years later, the ZL1 ended up running a 9.55 which bested the 10.55 posted by the Boss a few years earlier but so what. During the test, the Mustang won the drag race but didn't survive to make it to the road course. The Camaro almost died at the strip and lost to the Mustang, but it was able to limp around the road course to even things up. All in all as C/D said back in 2000, it ended in a tie.
Old 02-17-2006, 01:31 PM
Restricted User

The SVT Built car was a '94, NOT an '01. You're thinking of something else. The '94 Boss and the '00 ZL1 were THE pet projects of both companie's performance gurus. These two rides are what they brought to the table. This is THE comparo everyone talks about when they refer to the infamous ZL1 vs. Boss battle of 2000.
I AM thinking of something else. I said that.

The cars in the one I saw were a 2000 Camaro body and a 2001 Stang body. The "ZL-1" was black with a silver scoop and the "Boss" was Black with silver graphics. Both Moss and Coletti were in the matchup. I saw it on speedvision, on a sunday night in august of 03. I know this because I had just returned from vacation that day. Not that it matters, because knowing speedvision, it was probably a repeat anway.

I figured perhaps they just tried the matchup again. Moss did say "this time we added an SFI setup to our 572". I can't say for sure what the deal was, so I only talk about what I am sure about.
Old 02-26-2006, 01:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, I thought this thread died a while ago, seems like this article was nothing more than two car companies clashing....

My buddies were trying to make it seem like the LS1 was a worthless motor, but I know that isnt true... and there wasnt anywhere near an LS1 in any of these articles...

Thanks guys!
Old 04-17-2006, 12:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Luna

They said the 5.0 was running low 10s and the Z could barely cut 12s! WTF is up with this ? A cammed LS1 barely able to pull 12s just doesnt sound right at all to me ( on sticky tires no less )

So has anyone read this article ? Is there something I'm missing here?
Yeah your friends forgot to tell you that they pulled everything but the frame out of the 5.0, had the Z28 tow it halfway down the track, then do a U-turn, cut the cord, and slam on its brakes so that the momentum would fling the 5.0 the rest of the way.

The Z28 then had to start back up and finish the last half of the track.

Quick Reply: Looking for a Motor Trend article, Mustang vs Z28