Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

New Firebird Rumor.......

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2006, 12:10 PM
mcG
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i don't see it happening anytime soon. especially with the GTO and new camaro.

what if it does happen down the line, but in dodge charger fashion, with 4 doors???
Old 02-08-2006, 05:10 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

They have to market the cars with plenty of commercial ads, cobalt with corvette anyone? I see plenty of cobalts out there now How do you expect the public to buy if they don't know about the product?
Old 02-08-2006, 07:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mcG
i don't see it happening anytime soon. especially with the GTO and new camaro.
No more GTO! Borrowed from Srtforums.com

>>>>Link<<<<

According to a new report by Motor Trend, GM has scrapped any plans for building a new Pontiac GTO as a follow-up to the current model. Recently, there has been some speculation that GM might replace the much-criticized GTO with a new model based on the same platform as the forthcoming Chevrolet Camaro. While GM is considering a rear-wheel-drive offensive, it appears the GTO will not be part of that plan. Other possible nameplate revivals that could use a new RWD architecture include the Buick Velite and Chevy Impala. Recently, we cited a report suggesting the company might use the Camaro platform for a new Firebird or Trans AM. (Show right is the 1999 GTO concept. If GM builds another GTO, it's widely expected to use a more agressive design like that of this GTO concept).

Sounds like our chances for a New Firebird just got a little better...
Old 02-08-2006, 07:46 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Figured that, I could have sworn that GM was only going to use the GTO name plate temporarily anyway since Holden was doing changes. Sounds like the Bird will be back.
Old 02-09-2006, 12:15 AM
TECH Junkie

Make a nicely interiored Camaro and it is a TransAm. Why do you need to spend billions on a seperate car? Just to have a name? Really, slap a TA badge on it if it makes you so much happier. An FBody is an FBody. There will be no new engine or anything in a Pontiac FBody. Why should GM in its financial straights waste money on rebuilding the same car?
Old 02-09-2006, 10:04 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by WECIV
Why should GM in its financial straights waste money on rebuilding the same car?
If its going to be the same car how much money can they waste? Especially nowadays when its common to pick and pull from existing platforms to fill in a certian market share. I say take the interior from the gto and throw it in the camaro concept body, call it a Trans Am. Its not like they are manufacturing a completely new car from scratch where they have to shell out millions for R&D, theyve already paid it for the camaro. So realistically(sp?) how much more can having a trans am cost gm? I hope someone with some sort of knowledge can chime in on that last part.
Old 02-10-2006, 01:26 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Make a nicely interiored Camaro and it is a TransAm. Why do you need to spend billions on a seperate car? Just to have a name? Really, slap a TA badge on it if it makes you so much happier. An FBody is an FBody. There will be no new engine or anything in a Pontiac FBody. Why should GM in its financial straights waste money on rebuilding the same car?
Damn man, what do you think they are building, a stealth fighter??? The cost to come up with exterior desgin changes, as well as some interior upgrades would not run into the "billions" as you put it.

I for one like the new camaro but wouldn't be convinced to get one. Now if they take that design, and modify it to make a Trans Am Firebird, I would probably be down ordering one the first day available.

Why? I have always liked the way that the Firebird looks compared to the Camaro. It's also an image thing. I like that the camaro is more plain, subdue, mainstream and the firebird has always been unmistakeable and different. Look at ever single generation and you can always tell which one was the firebird and which one was the camaro.

An your "3 car company" strategy is all wrong as well. If that were the case, when we were shopping for my wife's new car, we tried out the Trailblazer, the Envoy, the Saab 9-7x, the BMW X3/5, the Murano etc etc.

We came down to either a X3 or the Saab and decided on the Saab based on asthetics and feel. If it weren't for the Saab, GM would have lost the sale. It doesn't hurt GM to lose a customer from one of it's dealers to another. As long as they can sell enough of the other model to make it profitable, then by all means do it.

Case in point... the 98-02 f-bodies averaged around 50k cars per year in sales, split I beleive 45/55 (firebird/camaro). Do you think they would have sold 50k camaro's alone without the firebird? I highly doubt that. I know I was turned away from the camaro when I drove it. I didn't like the styling or the interior at all. The dealer suggested I go next door and look at the firebird and so I ended up buying a T/A.

Don't be so short sighted when it comes to offering options.
Old 02-10-2006, 05:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Your thought process is as narrow as a virgin's vagina.....why not be more honest and say you are just a blind Chevrolet follower? You just happen to like more the Camaro than the Firebird wich is cool, we and a lot here could care less. Just stop with the senseless arguments. Whats you fear about a new Firebird??That it would look 10 times better than the Camaro?? They both sold well for a LOT of years so really whats your point?? You are making no sense.....
Old 02-10-2006, 05:25 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by technical
A long, long time ago GM used to sell a GTO, Firebird, and Camaro. I guess it did well until the gas crunch. What's that phrase? History repeats itself....
right. they stopped producing the camaro/firebird because of the gas crunch in the 70's. how did I miss that 30mpg is terrible too isn't it

pretty awesome news, if it happens. now I can get the camaro and my fiance can get the bird.
Old 02-11-2006, 05:34 PM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Two Pontiac autoshow reps "eluded" to the fact ~3~4 years last night at the baltimore autoshow...but I did NOT by any means take it as a firm, confirmed fact. Mildly humored is more of the tone. I did mention to the chevy people that they need to keep moving forward with the camaro concept, and the gal I talked to said they have heard that frequently.
Old 02-11-2006, 06:50 PM
TECH Junkie

"An your "3 car company" strategy is all wrong as well. If that were the case, when we were shopping for my wife's new car, we tried out the Trailblazer, the Envoy, the Saab 9-7x, the BMW X3/5, the Murano etc etc."

I cannot help that you like land yachts for your daily car. Some ppl such as I would rather have a 3 series or DC 300/Charger type car. Ford is now putting money into a midsize four door with RWD. The reason being, everyone does not want to drive a land yacht. Some ppl do not want to drive a small car with a big engine, something I would prefer. Everyone has opinions.

"Your thought process is as narrow as a virgin's vagina.....why not be more honest and say you are just a blind Chevrolet follower? You just happen to like more the Camaro than the Firebird wich is cool, we and a lot here could care less. Just stop with the senseless arguments. Whats you fear about a new Firebird??That it would look 10 times better than the Camaro?? They both sold well for a LOT of years so really whats your point?? You are making no sense....."

You Sir, are a moron. You made made two points in seven sentences (both unsubstantiated by even a modecium of evidence, thus giving credence to the wasteful American argument...).
Old 02-11-2006, 09:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i didnt read all the ****..but..i would be totally stoked if they brought back the ta..but im worried..im afraid they will **** it up beyond belief and I would be totally let down..so ill wait..and watch....
Old 02-12-2006, 08:46 AM
Teching In

If they build it, it should be a Trans Am...not a new camaro with trans am cues. that would be the ultimate slap in the face. I agree with above....keep the camaro retro..make the trans am very modern and very mean!!! I dont want to see the camaro but with a 3rd gen looking firebird front end. That would be a slap in the face to the diehards that really care
Old 02-12-2006, 09:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I thought the GTO was on a 3 year plan? I didn't think they had anymore of a commitment then that with Holden.
Old 02-12-2006, 10:12 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

"An your "3 car company" strategy is all wrong as well. If that were the case, when we were shopping for my wife's new car, we tried out the Trailblazer, the Envoy, the Saab 9-7x, the BMW X3/5, the Murano etc etc."

I cannot help that you like land yachts for your daily car. Some ppl such as I would rather have a 3 series or DC 300/Charger type car. Ford is now putting money into a midsize four door with RWD. The reason being, everyone does not want to drive a land yacht. Some ppl do not want to drive a small car with a big engine, something I would prefer. Everyone has opinions.

"Your thought process is as narrow as a virgin's vagina.....why not be more honest and say you are just a blind Chevrolet follower? You just happen to like more the Camaro than the Firebird wich is cool, we and a lot here could care less. Just stop with the senseless arguments. Whats you fear about a new Firebird??That it would look 10 times better than the Camaro?? They both sold well for a LOT of years so really whats your point?? You are making no sense....."

You Sir, are a moron. You made made two points in seven sentences (both unsubstantiated by even a modecium of evidence, thus giving credence to the wasteful American argument...).
I'm a moron?? You have 2,000 plus posts and still don't know how to use the "quote" function. I know, you were to busy looking in the dictionary for your cute words, right?......You just use cute little words for you opinions and try to pass them as facts....you sir are pathetic. And of course, they are my opinions, I wish I had the holy grail of knowledge you possess, oh you great automobile prophet!....
Old 02-12-2006, 12:12 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ddool002
keep the camaro retro..make the trans am very modern and very mean!!!
It wouldnt sell enough to support the R&D. If you get a trans am its going to be a camaro with trans am cues, thats what its always been.
Old 02-12-2006, 03:49 PM
TECH Junkie

"oh you great automobile prophet"

Thank you.

And, a good vocabulary does not require a dictionary.
Old 02-12-2006, 04:26 PM
TECH Resident

I'll believe it when I see it. And when I see it, it better not be retro.

That's all I have to say about that
Old 02-13-2006, 06:28 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

See, I guess you missed the point about it being my wife's car. The 9-7x isn't exactly a land yaht, but it's not a sports car either. We have a lot of beaten up back roads where we live and a mid size SUV works for her. She feels more comfortable in it, and just like the saying "a happy wife is a happy life" holds true.

I inherited her Explorer, but it will be replaced with a 325XI or an A4/6 in the near future because that's what I like, my wife on the other hand likes a larger vehicle, enough said.

You just missed my point that if GM didn't have the 9-7x, we would have gone with the X3/5 instead, and GM would have lost the sale all together.
Old 02-14-2006, 12:25 AM
TECH Junkie

"You just missed my point that if GM didn't have the 9-7x, we would have gone with the X3/5 instead, and GM would have lost the sale all together."

Point well taken. I was sleepy when I replied to you and it was a truly shity reply. I agree that GM could lose some sales if it whittles thing down. However, the only ones I think she be whittled down are Pontiac and Buick. That money really could be saved, especially with the shape GM is in. And, I truly do believe new Chevy products could fill the lost points rather well.

Quick Reply: New Firebird Rumor.......