Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

SVT Not To Be: Ford Kills Of It's Performance Division

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2006, 02:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not cool. I wish both GM and Ford would get their acts together.

-Mike
Old 03-09-2006, 05:24 PM
Staging Lane

i guess with less competition gm will wait till 2015 for the new camaro to come out. not big on ford but still sad to see the performance program go. the 03-04 cobras are hella bad ***. yes that's right, i said hella.
Old 03-09-2006, 09:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

ford will still offer performance vehicles. it just wont have an SVT badge and backing.
Old 03-09-2006, 10:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
ford will still offer performance vehicles. it just wont have an SVT badge and backing.
I'm not holding my breath on that either. They had two running and production ready concepts (Lighting and Adrenaline) and killed them. The situation is looking dire.
Old 03-10-2006, 07:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by TriShield
I'm not holding my breath on that either. They had two running and production ready concepts (Lighting and Adrenaline) and killed them. The situation is looking dire.

from what i understand the lightning project was never completed. they could'nt get a trans. to hold up under the power?

i agree there wont be as many vehicles offered but they'll probably still produce a high performance mustang since its a popular car.
Old 03-10-2006, 08:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i agree there wont be as many vehicles offered but they'll probably still produce a high performance mustang since its a popular car.
Yeah, but the SVT division of Ford was like what SS is to Chevy and SRT is to Dodge. It was a performance car. I really liked what SVT came out with (Lightning and Cobra). I hope they come out with a new performance division soon or maybe even in a few years bring SVT back.
Old 03-10-2006, 09:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Exclamation

SVO went to SVT. I am sure they have something up their sleeves.
Old 03-10-2006, 09:40 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Spazdout
back in 84 they had a mustang that was Turbo Charged(TC) but it was under the name of SVO. pretty mean lil bugger. but i doubt the SVT program was around that long ago.
I'm not talking about the turbo 4 banger powered Mustang SVO. TC refers to "Terminator Cobra" or the blown '03 and '04 cars.
Old 03-10-2006, 11:06 PM
Launching!

I've been looking for a good excuse to buy a Lightning.Guess I just found it.
Old 03-10-2006, 11:22 PM
Launching!

I think this was a bad call on Ford's part...
Old 03-11-2006, 12:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

from what i understand the lightning project was never completed. they could'nt get a trans. to hold up under the power? ...
I don't know what was so hard about that - hell, my SRT-10 truck is heavier (5500 lbs), has a motor making 525 ft-lbs in it, and can tow around 8,000 pounds. SRT sure did not have a problem with this.

In the bigger picture - this sucks. I loved the Lightning concept, and even like the GT500 (which I guess will go on but not have anything to do with SVT). Dodge/Chrysler is having great success with the SRT program (I own one and about to be two of those for good reason), the C6 and Z06 are huge hits for Chevy, and Ford does this. I don't get it. I guess we need more Ford 500s
Old 03-11-2006, 09:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by WeatherGuy
I don't know what was so hard about that - hell, my SRT-10 truck is heavier (5500 lbs), has a motor making 525 ft-lbs in it, and can tow around 8,000 pounds. SRT sure did not have a problem with this.

In the bigger picture - this sucks. I loved the Lightning concept, and even like the GT500 (which I guess will go on but not have anything to do with SVT). Dodge/Chrysler is having great success with the SRT program (I own one and about to be two of those for good reason), the C6 and Z06 are huge hits for Chevy, and Ford does this. I don't get it. I guess we need more Ford 500s

is your truck a manual trans?
Old 03-11-2006, 05:52 PM
TECH Resident

is your truck a manual trans?

Definitely not. The ***** to the wall 6 speed manual trans Ram SRT-10 is only available in Standard Cab guise. The Quad Cab comes only with a 4 speed automatic.

However as for the Lightning, Ford was planning on ditching the 6 speed manual from the concept anyway in favor of an automatic of some sort since previous Lightning customers had been satisfied with an automatic trans. They figured that if people wanted a close to 500hp vehicle with a 6 speed, they could always buy a GT500. Dodge seems to offer the best of both worlds with a 6 speed stick available in the RC and a slushy available in the QC. What they need is to add an extra gear to the QCs 4 speed auto.

Quick Reply: SVT Not To Be: Ford Kills Of It's Performance Division