Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Local Dragway in Trouble, please read...

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2006, 05:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why not gather all the racers (Pro Mods are good ) that object to this and actively fight this rather than through the legal system. Locate the complainer, pile as many loud cars in front of their residence as possible and create as much noise as possible. Once they are deaf they can't complain about the noise. Just a thought...
Old 05-08-2006, 10:49 AM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28
Why not gather all the racers (Pro Mods are good ) that object to this and actively fight this rather than through the legal system. Locate the complainer, pile as many loud cars in front of their residence as possible and create as much noise as possible. Once they are deaf they can't complain about the noise. Just a thought...
That's what my suggestion is, but basically on Main Street to show the politicians where those loud cars WILL race if they get their strip shut down.

Have a big *** rally in support of the local drag strip, kinda "Support Your Local Street Racer" similar to "Support Your Local Gun Fighter".

Definately get a permit for peaceable protest though.
Old 05-25-2006, 04:45 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

There should be laws inacted that put a stop to complaints like this....for those who move into the neighborhood years after the track has been there. How would she feel if it were the other way around? Something like...."Oh ma'am, we're sorry but we need to condemn your home for the upcoming dragstrip installation"

Stupid people. And we wonder why some people flip out.
Old 05-26-2006, 08:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by y2k_ta
There should be laws inacted that put a stop to complaints like this....for those who move into the neighborhood years after the track has been there. How would she feel if it were the other way around? Something like...."Oh ma'am, we're sorry but we need to condemn your home for the upcoming dragstrip installation"

Stupid people. And we wonder why some people flip out.
worth a try.. get those politicians to claim eminent (sp?) domain on her property.
for the good of the public, we'll level your property down and build a big race track. with a huuuuge parking lot.
Old 05-27-2006, 08:13 PM
Staging Lane

Location: Butler county, right above slimey ass Cincinnati, OH

I assume the dummy that sold um the house forgot to give um earplugs!!!

Petition those *******, and get the media and the local racers involved as well.

BULL
Old 05-27-2006, 08:34 PM
Teching In

As i recall, the local Byron drag strip ( http://www.byrondragway.com/ ) had a problem like that with some of the locals that lived down the street. At the time it wasn't a problem that concerned me so i didnt follow it, but if i remember correctly, the owners of the drag strip did in fact win the battle.
Old 05-28-2006, 09:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

I hope that woman wakes up in the middle of the night with an alcohol car revving in her front lawn...
Old 06-06-2006, 09:33 PM
Launching!

I heard a similar story where a track couldnt race after 10pm so they started their nitro cars at 6am
Old 06-07-2006, 12:17 PM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Originally Posted by paulc87
I heard a similar story where a track couldnt race after 10pm so they started their nitro cars at 6am
BWahahahah, serves 'em right!
Old 06-07-2006, 01:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

I heard the street races are now going to take place in front of her house from 11pm until 5am. This kind of stuff pisses me off. We have a simular problem around my dads house. There is a big area out back that we just started riding quads and dirt bikes on with trails for miles. The land is owned by farms and no one minds the bikes or has said anything about noise. We have learend where we can and cant go and stay out of trouble when we have fun. Well 2 months ago this guy some how bought land right in the middle of the place and is complaining about noise on the weekends. So even though we are well off his land he is still bitching about us.
Old 06-12-2006, 09:07 AM
Launching!

Make sure the track owner isn't in cahoots with this lady - the track owner could stand to make money as well. That "deal" reached is the first step - next they will be monitoring track usage through revenue earned under the new hours of operation. Once it appears that the track is starting to lose money, the track facility will be sold and then the developers will petition to rezone the property.

Taco, if you can, you should try show revenue that is generated directly and indirectly by the track (entry fees, gas sales at the track, trackburgers, etc, and local hotels/restaurants that benefit from the racers/spectators who frequent the track and local area. Money talks - and this already has the sounds of eminent domain written all over it; the county just may not need to play the eminent domain card if the track shuts down on its own. If the size of the property is significant enough, this track will be shut down as as the county will stand to make more money through an increase in taxes via new homes/homeowners and new businesses that would be built on the track and surrounding properties.

I'm afraid the train may have already left the station on this one - but don't give up and definitely paint the developers as evil carpetbaggers!!

Another avenue to approach will be the increased street racing incidents - you could get the local sheriff/police to provide statistics, or perhaps the NHRA could step in (is it an NHRA track?)

HTH, Rob
Old 06-12-2006, 01:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for all the help guys.

I want to say, while it would be fun, and make me feel better, the "burnouts in her yard" mentality is just going to make things go downhill in an accelerated manner.

As far as revenue generated, I seriously doubt the track is making enough impact to justify that arguement. I am sure the land would be worth much more (money wise, you know, what matters) to the county (you know, the ones that "matter") as a housing development that it is as a racing facility. Who cares if a few people lose their lives because they don't have a place to race thier cars that they have invested thousands of dollars and countless hours in.

It will take something like this happening, as sickening as it is, before anybody that can do anything realizes a grave (no pun intended) mistake has been made.

As far as the track owner being in cahoots, I would not be so naive to say that I know he is not, I serously doubt it. He really stands to profit nil from the property owner because the lease the promoter pays is, well, lucrative, to say the least. Not to mention, he is a farmer, so he would make just as much or more farming the land if there wasn't a track there.

But again, I would be very naive to say it's not possible, but I seriously doubt it.

Thanks again for all the help and advice guys, keep it coming please.

So far, just for an update, everything seems to be going alright with the sound ordinance in place. With the exclusion of midnite madness from the weekly calendar, the races have been completed within the allotted time frame and no further complaints have been made.

We hosted an ADRL Pro-Mod event this weekend and kept them within the time constraints, so I hope no complaints are forthcoming. They are pretty damn loud though, so we will just have to cross our fingers and wait!

Thanks again!
Taco
Old 06-12-2006, 03:05 PM
7 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Taco,

Sorry to hear about this, as I've seen a few tracks in Florida go away by similar things.

Miami-Hollywood closed in 1992 after all the land around the track was bought for houses, then people moved in and complained about the noise. Track got a 10 pm curfew, then shut down eventually. Grandstands and tower got leveled, but track was still there for quite a few years after before getting torn up. Irritating to say the least, considering people can bitch about airplane noise after moving by an airport, but they don't close the MF airport!

Another track in Clearwater/St. Pete area also got similar treatment, except the land was needed for a highway overpass. The manager (I believe) of the track approached the city (after they informed him he'd be closing down in a month) and said "hope you don't mind 200 street racers out on your roads every Tuesday and Thursday night instead of racing at a safe legal facility. They gave him a 3 year extension to stay open since the next closest track is over an hour away.

A big Florida problem is also that land is getting so valuable. Jacksonville Raceways closed last year as well, and it's located near the airport, but they are still building homes I believe.

Good luck, keep us posted!

Derek
Old 06-12-2006, 04:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Villain281H

Another track in Clearwater/St. Pete area also got similar treatment, except the land was needed for a highway overpass. The manager (I believe) of the track approached the city (after they informed him he'd be closing down in a month) and said "hope you don't mind 200 street racers out on your roads every Tuesday and Thursday night instead of racing at a safe legal facility. They gave him a 3 year extension to stay open since the next closest track is over an hour away.
I am thinking this is going to be our best (if not only) arguement that holds any chance of helping the situation. I know for a fact that there are well over 200 "street racers" that attend(ed) the Midnite Madness Program that now have nowhere to race.

People don't spend thousands of dollars and countless hours to build a car they are very proud of, only to sit and look at it. They will race, it is a matter of where.

If the track closes, it will have to go to the streets. Period! The closest track to Huntsville is a 2 hour drive, the closest "decent" track is 3 hours away.

This may be the only ace in our hole!
Taco
Old 06-15-2006, 02:18 AM
12 Second Club

Location: Chitown-Jax NC-Jax FL-Honolulu-OKC, OK-NOW New Orleans Area

They closed our track here in Honolulu Hawaii.

Quick Reply: Local Dragway in Trouble, please read...