Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

The Masters Of Badge Engineering Are At It Again: Meet The Pontiac Coba... G5

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 10:26 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ActionJack
This could be the sign we needed to see that Pontiac will have the Firebird again after the Camaro.
Probably not going to happen. The thing that gets me though is that GM plans on selling the Camaro, possibly shifting the Monte Carlo to Zeta and giving Pontiac another GTO. So if Chevy can have the Camaro and the Monte Carlo, why isn't Pontiac allowed to sell both the GTO and the Firebird. Especially since Pontiac is supposed to be the General's "performance" division.

Personally I don't think GM will do another Firebird because they'd prefer to allocate resources elsewhere. Plus they'll already be taking a risk with the Camaro (will there be a market for big RWD V8 powered musclecars in 3 years with gas prices on the rise?). Additionally if they're planning a few retro stlying cues for the GTO, then why build a retro Firebird as well? Both cars would probably be spawned from Zeta and be similar in size and exterior dimentions. AND, if they plan on positioning Pontiac as a sort of entry level BMW/Infiniti fighter then what the division would need is a RWD replacement for the Grand Prix, a RWD replacement for the G6 and a new sportier entry level vehicle to take the place of the Delta based G5 (perhaps the Opel/Vauxhall Astra OPC/VXR or a Pontiacized version of it if the Astra goes to Saturn which it probably will) before yet another niche market two door. Think of it this way. If us performance gurus have it our way, it will go down like this with regards to Zeta:

Impala/Monte Carlo - the Impala will be Chevy's Dodge Charger fighter and the Monte Carlo will essentially be a two door variant.

Grand Prix Replacement (G8)/GTO - The G8 will be Ponchos Infiniti M45 fighter and the GTO will essentially be a two door variant.

The Camaro will be Chevy's halo car and the Solstice Pontiac's halo car.

As much as I'd like to see a new Firebird I see GM allocating Zeta (if they ever get off of their collective asses and bring it stateside) for products that will put a dent in competitors sales. This means the Grand Prix replacement and Impala first. A GTO will be easy to spawn since not too many things need to be changed from an Aussie market Monaro (the US will supposedly lend a hand in designing the GTO whose design cues will carry over to the Aussie market Monaro in a sort of flip flop from the 2004-2006 cars) and a Monte would most likely contain Impala styling cues minus 2 doors. The Camaro would be the unique halo car with ground breaking styling. To go out of their way to repeat this feat for a Firebird makes no sense with the Solstice and GTO already on Pontiac lots.

Quick Reply: The Masters Of Badge Engineering Are At It Again: Meet The Pontiac Coba... G5