Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Replace NASCAR with V8 Supercar

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 10:09 AM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Replace NASCAR with V8 Supercar

With the advent of the COT (Car of the Future) coming in the not so distant future, I wonder if it isn't time for NASCAR to move back more towards it roots. To me NASCAR is just getting too far away from where it came from.

COT read that as spec body with ugly lines, only the grille changing slightly, and a ricer wing. Ok, the wing actually isn't a big deal, but my point is, those cars have nothing to do with the "cars" they are supposed to represent.

After watching NASCAR cars run around the road course, you can see they are ill handling pigs by comparison to cars running in other sanctioning bodies.

How about seeing some cars that actually look like a production vehicle (ones that were actually produced with a V8), that can band fenders, and actually make a turn.
http://k53.pbase.com/u6/uli1/large/6338350.DSC_1618.jpg

http://k43.pbase.com/u6/uli1/large/6338352.DSC_1665.jpg

http://k41.pbase.com/u6/uli1/large/6338516.DSC_1694.jpg

You can even bang fenders
http://i.pbase.com/u7/uli1/large/6511958.DSC_2245.jpg

Last edited by J-Rod; 08-25-2006 at 10:15 AM.
Old 08-25-2006, 10:18 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not that I'm arguing your point of how the race cars of NASCAR have evolved but I know they do this in the interest of safety. It definitely takes away from the roots of NASCAR but they are safer cars for the drivers. Also they're trying to get away from the cars being so aero dependant and back to teams making mechanical differences to improve their performance. Other series do have more true "stock" cars than NASCAR. All I can say is to each his own as long as they enjoy their racing.
Old 08-25-2006, 12:31 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Stock-car" racing ceased to be production based a long time ago. While I understand that safety is certainly major concern, the fact that other series are more production based is what bothers me about the NASCAR series. Take a look at the American Lemans Series. That series utilizes car that are very closely based on their production brothers. You can quickly identify what car it is. Now try that with a NASCAR stocker. The Dodge Charger is the biggest joke of all. How NASCAR can justify the changes to the front-end compared with the production version is crazy. Dodge isn't the only manufacturer that is guilty. The Monte Carlo is heavily modded as is that silly Fusion/Taurus/whatever.

NASCAR is not about racing anymore. It's about the drivers' popularity and the sponsors that promote the sport. Everything has been done to make the cars all equal, so that no one car has an advantage. This is boring. The "Car of the Future" is just pushing this concept further away from the roots of stock cars. They say that it's to slow the cars down, make them safer. Well, why not enforce production-based templates. If Dodge makes a brick with wheels and wants to race it, fine. They could lower the cubic inch requirement, lessening the horsepower. This should be done at the high speed ovals rather than the dumb-*** restictor plates. In 1971, NASCAR imposed a 305 cubic inch limit on the Superbirds/Daytonas. They still ended up leading the race at one point.

All I'm saying is that NASCAR can do a lot more to make the cars part of the equation again, rather than knowing how Jeff Gordon spends his millions, or what Tony Stewart bought this week, or how Dale Earnhart had a role in the next Desparate Housewives. Please.
Old 08-25-2006, 02:31 PM
TECH Junkie

NASCAR should race camaro's, Stang, Challengers, Chargers, new Impy's, and whatever else is RWD and V8. These cars should be stock as hell with only a roll cage and five point. I would watch that!!!

W
Old 08-25-2006, 06:24 PM
TECH Resident

NASCAR cars are ghey 30 year old pieces of **** laden with technology that should have died out a looooooooong time ago. I say they should only be allowed to race hotted up versions of the cars they build without having to change drivetrain configurations. But at the same time they should be required to sell a sizeable number of cars. This way the manufacturer will have to make them aerodynamic AND look good so they slip through the air and sell to the public. NASCAR is ok to watch (nothing compared to FIA GT, D1 Grand Prix, BTCC, ETCC, Aussie V8, DTM, JGTC, WRC, World Challenge etc...) but the cars need to evolve. Yes I know the motors are nothing to sneeze at, yes I know it's difficult as **** to navigate a 3400 lbs. boat with a live rear axle around Sears Point, yes yes blah blah whatever. They need to update their cars IMO. And for personal preference reasons I'd like for the racers to more closely resemble their production counterparts.
Old 08-26-2006, 12:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

you know if NASCAR would just use production engines, safety wouldn't be that big of an issue. A production Charger with a full roll cage and harnesses would be VERY safe at it's normal top speeds. It's when they start putting in these million horsepower motors and start going like 250 mph that safety becomes an issue. I'd love to see Charger vs Monte Carlo vs Grand Prix vs Fusion vs Camry on a track.
Old 08-26-2006, 01:19 PM
TECH Resident

Its pretty easy for people to bag on the sport when they have no clue of whats really going on....
Old 08-26-2006, 05:23 PM
TECH Junkie

I'd say NASCAR is doing pretty good for themselves. I'd like to see "stock" cars, but it will never happen. What would Chevy use, a FWD Monte Carlo? I just don't like how the drivers are getting younger and younger. Some 19 y/o kid out of the truck series signs a multi million dollar contract, and a guy like Ward Burton can't even get a quality ride cause he's in his 30's. Drivers in the V8 Supercar series are 10X better drivers than most Cup guys. I like the Aussi series the best.
Old 08-26-2006, 07:08 PM
TECH Resident

I think its really hard to compare drivers in different series.... A road course "ringer" has never won a race in cup that has to say something and the guys doing all the winning dont come from road racing backgrounds.A V8 super car most likley has more mechanical grip more downforce lighter and less hp than a cup car (cup car is about 780 to the wheels)I 'd like to see some of those guys manhandle a 3400 pound car around on an 11 inch tire Marcus Ambrose is doing very well in the truck series couple of top 5's and a pole he's going to win a truck race maybe..Guys like Stewart Gordon Martin as well as about 10 others would do very well in any series
Old 08-26-2006, 10:29 PM
Launching!

Yeah like said above by CTS Mechanic, you guys rag on the stock cars but it still takes a driver to be able to handle a cup car. They dont have near the downforce them other road racing cars have, thats why you dont see them drivers doing that great in a stock car. A NASCAR car seperates the good drivers from the average drivers. NASCAR still has to do with driver skill, not who has the best machine. I remember the IROC race in Daytona a couple months back where every driver has an EXACTLY same car and Tony Stewart drove away from the road racing regulars like they were standing still, he ould drive the car deeper into a turn than anyone else out there could, not I think thats saying something for a cup driver. If you can drive a cup car I think you can just about driver anything out there.
Old 08-26-2006, 10:30 PM
12 Second Club

Non
Athletic
Sport
Centered
Around
Rednecks
Old 08-27-2006, 12:47 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Dragula
Non
Athletic
Sport
Centered
Around
Rednecks
youre just ignorant

the biggest reason for the the carr change is to keep teams from building different chassis for every type of track to keep costs down for smaller teams. alll pro racing has evolved a lot and to bitch about stock cars is rediculous. even dirt cars are supposed to be stock cars but look nothing like their cousins. funny cars started out as actual cars, top fuels started life as striped out hot rods, etc, etc, things evolve and unless you pay to keep up, you get left behind.
Old 08-27-2006, 12:53 AM
12 Second Club

SETTLE

It's just a joke.
Old 08-27-2006, 01:55 AM
Teching In

Take it easy Wnts2Go it was just a joke, anyway I personally think V8 supercar racing is fantastic compared with Nascar. I dont watch to much Nascar so I cant really make a valid comparison, but from watching v8 for years, its a fantastic sport and its great to see local Aussie domestic cars racing and having a link to production based cars. As the old saying goes, win on raceday, sell on monday
Old 08-27-2006, 10:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't have any problem with the drivers. Driving those cars is very difficult. There are very few people here who could do it. I do have a problem with NASCAR parading them around like a cross between soap opera stars and professional wrestlers.

As for the cars, I'm all for scrapping anything meant to level the playing field. We used to get a lot of street tech from NASCAR, but not so much anymore. The manufacturers do most of their development work in other series now.

What's the fun in not pushing the envelope? Example: What's more fun to fly? An F-22, or an airliner? NASCAR now has more in common with airliners.

This trend is the product of a generation that is afraid to take risks. Maybe the next one will get it right...
Old 08-27-2006, 10:57 AM
Coal Mining Director

NASCAR = marketing $$$$$ period.

24 and 8 have to make the top ten regardless how many winks and nods it takes.......last year proved how much $$$$ was lost without them and NASCAR is only concerned with $$$$$.

I was a diehard fan back when it was all about racing.
Old 08-27-2006, 08:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

For those of you who do not keep up with NASCAR. GM submitted a new motor to NASCAR.

Not sure what they have up their sleeve but they are preparing for Toyota. The motors in the Camry's are going to run VERY fast.
Old 08-27-2006, 09:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'd like to see a Super Car series here. But not to replace any of the NASCAR series. Mainly because what they have now works so well. IMO, it's got more competitive every year.

Will say though... I'm not a fan of the COT wings...
Old 08-30-2006, 01:05 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BAD2000TA
All I'm saying is that NASCAR can do a lot more to make the cars part of the equation again, rather than knowing how Jeff Gordon spends his millions, or what Tony Stewart bought this week, or how Dale Earnhart had a role in the next Desparate Housewives. Please.
i hate this too. they spend too much time trying to appeal to mom and sister. too much hollywood and glamour and not enough (or any) wrench turning

i really hope the new car reduces overall aero dependency, because currently when a guy comes up behind someone, he loses handling from the reduction in downforce, so he just has to ride there; net result = no passing. its getting worse every year. seems like a nascar race will look like a formula 1 race in a few years with very little on track passing, follow the leader, etc.

jrod is right about the cars looking awkward on the road course too. i'd like to see a big weight reduction and maybe a wider tire, bc these guys are blown away by the other series on the tracks where the schedules overlap.
Old 08-30-2006, 06:46 AM
TECH Junkie

Big Bronco, what does this new GM motor consist of?

W

Quick Reply: Replace NASCAR with V8 Supercar