Its so
Business in front
Party in back

I just don't like it.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by z2fast8
i'd but the two door in a hart beat honest who bought there camaro or t/a cuz it seats two people and two midgets
A four door Ute would be moe like a family car. Seat four adults comfortably, and have a huge *** trunk if you put a tonnue cover on the bed. People sell their fbody's when they have a baby or kids.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im sorry but i just don't see that UTE doing well here. And if your going to spend the money on the 4 door, you might as well go spend money on the G8. If i wanted something with a bed to put stuff in, i would get a truck and call it a day. If GM brings it over it is not going to do well. If i were to have to sell my car because i needed something with 4 doors, i would get a G8. If i needed something with large space in the rear i would get a truck.
-Joel
Old 08-27-2007, 09:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 2000Hawk
The thing is im all for the G8 coming from Holden, that is one bad-*** looking car. But something like the UTE isn't what GM needs right now in their line-up. I don't believe its going to be as popular as many people think. Yeah they "might" sell good the first few months, but after that it just might go down-hill. The thing is the G8 has great looks outside, and fantastic looks on the interior. The option of a 6 speed manual or 6 speed auto, will really give peopel another option to look at when buying a car. The UTE yea is a great concept part G8, part truck. But seriously how many people are going to want something like that. I seriously wouldn't.
-Joel

...+1
Old 08-27-2007, 09:26 PM
TECH Junkie

I really like it. If they could sell it with a V8 for 25K and keep it looking like that. I think it would sell.

PLUS

Do not name it El Camino...everyone would laugh at that. Call it a Panther or a Cougar or a Rhino or some vicious animal that is cool...but do not call it an El Camino...that is so gay.

W
Old 08-28-2007, 03:31 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by WECIV
Do not name it El Camino...everyone would laugh at that. Call it a Panther or a Cougar or a Rhino or some vicious animal that is cool...but do not call it an El Camino...that is so gay.

W

Panther? Rhino? Those names make me
(and there is already a Cougar... made by Mercury).

If they bring the Ute to the states... that will be my next vehicle hands down. I think it looks awesome, and it also serves a utility. I can't really go to Lowe's or Home Depot in the GTO and pick up a bunch of mulch, sand, etc. With the Ute I can... and still take it to the track on the weekends.

If it becomes a Chevy, I can't see GM calling it anything else BUT El Camino. It's a legendary nameplate, something the American public can relate to. When you look at this thing... the first thing you think of is El Camino, unlike the GTO with the Monaro.

The name itself I don't mind at all. Besides, I love the late 60's El Camino SS's. So if GM imported the Ute over as an El Camino SS.... hell yes.
Old 08-28-2007, 03:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

god i want one....
i hate trucks. i dont want a truck. but i need to be able to haul my motorcycles/carparts/etc around.

if i could get a LSx motored, 3500lb daily driver that drives like a nice car, and can haul my ****.... that would be awesome.
the green isnt bad.. but im thinking a electron blue, SOM, or some kind of metallic burgendy.... yea.. id drive that everyday to and from work.....
Old 08-28-2007, 04:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by AronZ28
I honestly don't see the 2 door version ever selling well on its own. No back seat. I think the only way for them to bring the Ute to the US would be to sell both 2 doors and four door models. I think a lot of families would roll around in a four door Ute. They could get the people currently looking at crew cab pickup trucks into one. The Ute would get a lot better gas mileage, drive better, and have a similar size bed.
pssst... go google "Holden Crewman"

Attached Thumbnails New Holden Ute Revealed, Strong Chance It Will Come to US as Chevy or GMC-rt.i.holden.vz.crewman.ss.bridge.jpg  
Old 08-28-2007, 04:36 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Im sorry but i just don't see that UTE doing well here. And if your going to spend the money on the 4 door, you might as well go spend money on the G8. If i wanted something with a bed to put stuff in, i would get a truck and call it a day. If GM brings it over it is not going to do well. If i were to have to sell my car because i needed something with 4 doors, i would get a G8. If i needed something with large space in the rear i would get a truck.
-Joel
The bonus with a vehicle like this is that is has some truck ability with a car like ride, handling, acceleration and fuel economy. Think of it as more of a truck/car crossover rather than a car/suv crossover, kind of like a car based Explorer Sport-trac. ElCaminos were never huge sellers anyway that I remember, but they were kept around for a while because of sharing a platform. From the doors forward it was a Malibu/Chevelle as well as the frame and suspension. The looks here definitely leave something to be desired, but I am all in for the concept. I need a truck for my side jobs, but prefer cars, this is just enough truck for what I need 90% of the time. The other 10% I will just borrow my fathers.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:42 PM
TECH Addict

I totally understand, but with the problems GM has been in lately. I believe they should hold off on this, before they realize they got tons of these sitting on dealer lots.
-Joel
Old 08-29-2007, 02:45 AM
Teching In

I'd buy it for the super-functional quarter inch deep tailgate cupholders in the pic.
Old 08-29-2007, 08:00 AM
TECH Junkie

I totally understand, but with the problems GM has been in lately. I believe they should hold off on this, before they realize they got tons of these sitting on dealer lots.
-Joel
pfft... sure that may suck for them.. but that just makes it cheaper for ME!
Old 08-31-2007, 03:12 PM
TECH Veteran

If i wanted something with a bed to put stuff in, i would get a truck and call it a day.
Why would I buy a truck when I can own a performance car that would do everything I would use a truck for?

I could haul stuff in the bed, it wouldn't bankrupt me in fuel bills, it would be easy to load the bed as well as get in and out of, it wouldn't be utter crap to daily drive, it looks unique and it would easily fit in my garage.

It would also be a hoot to take to the drag strip and drive on our twisting mountain roads. Trucks aren't any of that. They are big, heavy, gas-guzzling garbage that is tiring to drive.

How can anyone that likes performance stand to own a truck with something like this available? Most people don't ever come close to using what their half ton trucks are capable of. That's a big waste.

Last edited by TriShield; 08-31-2007 at 03:19 PM.
Old 08-31-2007, 03:21 PM
TECH Veteran

-Joel
Holden can only build maybe 15,000 - 25,000 of these tops. I find it hard to believe GM wouldn't be able to sell them out like HOT ROD says. Especially in the Southwest.
Old 08-31-2007, 03:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TriShield
Holden can only build maybe 15,000 - 25,000 of these tops. I find it hard to believe GM wouldn't be able to sell them out like HOT ROD says. Especially in the Southwest.
i would think they would sell big time in texas, tx consumes more pick up trucks than any other states combined. seems like
i would pay for one with a 6 speed and a low end lsx v8
Old 08-31-2007, 03:52 PM
TECH Addict

I guess i feel different since we all live in different areas. Around here in South Fl. when the rain comes down, it really comes down. Especially during hurricane season, so i guess i figured if i was going to get something with a bed i would want a truck that i could carry a could amount of payload, and not worry about it drowning in flooded areas.
-Joel
Old 08-31-2007, 05:31 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by TriShield
How can anyone that likes performance stand to own a truck with something like this available? Most people don't ever come close to using what their half ton trucks are capable of. That's a big waste.
I like the idea of the Ute also, but this statement is a little oversimplified. Although I rarely come close to using my truck to its full potential, I used to regularly go over what this vehicles potential is. When I bought my truck I owned a 21 ft boat, and while the towing ratings of some smaller vehicles may have worked, in the real world they would have sucked. Also, you are looking at probably under a 6 foot bed. You are right though, most people have never towed anything with their trucks, and the majority have probably never hauled anything more than groceries or a TV in them (aside from the friend that always needs help moving).
This wouldnt be a replacement for people who buy 1/2 ton trucks, but mostly for people who consider Rangers, Colorados, Explorers, etc. As long as they dont plan on selling large numbers, and give it a better look, it should be succesful. The GTO's main problem was bland looks and a car that wasnt designed for America (small trunk to meet US crash guidelines).
Old 09-02-2007, 11:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mzoomora
I like the idea of the Ute also, but this statement is a little oversimplified. Although I rarely come close to using my truck to its full potential, I used to regularly go over what this vehicles potential is. When I bought my truck I owned a 21 ft boat, and while the towing ratings of some smaller vehicles may have worked, in the real world they would have sucked. Also, you are looking at probably under a 6 foot bed. You are right though, most people have never towed anything with their trucks, and the majority have probably never hauled anything more than groceries or a TV in them (aside from the friend that always needs help moving).
This wouldnt be a replacement for people who buy 1/2 ton trucks, but mostly for people who consider Rangers, Colorados, Explorers, etc. As long as they dont plan on selling large numbers, and give it a better look, it should be succesful. The GTO's main problem was bland looks and a car that wasnt designed for America (small trunk to meet US crash guidelines).
+1

I'd so trade in my truck for one. I like having the utility of a bed, but I want a car, and I don't want a mini-truck. I've towed occasionally, but most of what my truck has done is beds, electronics, hauling-type stuff usually nowhere near my payload capacity. I'll take one in black with a 6.0L please...
Old 09-03-2007, 11:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

not to shabby dont think id buy it it looks like the elk has been reborn and rebadged

Quick Reply: New Holden Ute Revealed, Strong Chance It Will Come to US as Chevy or GMC