Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

New Holden Ute Revealed, Strong Chance It Will Come to US as Chevy or GMC

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 03:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I cant tell if i love it or hate it. I dont like the front bumper or grill but the idea I am not sure about. With a normal color and a less ricey bumper I might go for it. As for the El Camino badge I don't see why they wouldn't throw it on there. That is exactly what it is. I agree with the guy a few posts ago that the GTO name shouldn't have gone on it due was a bland design. It is a cool, good performing car but it should have had its own name imo.

Last edited by DFAUTO; 09-03-2007 at 04:04 PM.
Old 09-03-2007, 06:13 PM
9 Second Club

i would def rock one of those. one of hte nice things about el caminos is most people are afraid to use it. they don't think they haul much and never ask to borrow it.

When my dad had his service station he bought one and fell in love with the original el camino. When he owned a pick up everyone borrowed it and he could never find his truck when he needed it. with these they are perfect for most hauling situations and ride like a car.
Old 09-03-2007, 06:49 PM
Banned

You people are making me laugh. This **** is hideous. When will GM stop making these ugly *** retro looking space ships.

http://autos.yahoo.com/subaru_baja_sport/

That looks just like the damn Subaru Baja. And we all know, those were selling like hot cakes . This is not what GM needs right now. IF their focus is to get out of financial debt, this is the worst vehicle they could bring in. There's no market for it. European and American market is totally different and it doesnt take a genious to recognize it either.
Old 09-03-2007, 07:12 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by pssonu
You people are making me laugh. This **** is hideous. When will GM stop making these ugly *** retro looking space ships.

That looks just like the damn Subaru Baja. And we all know, those were selling like hot cakes . This is not what GM needs right now. IF their focus is to get out of financial debt, this is the worst vehicle they could bring in. There's no market for it. European and American market is totally different and it doesnt take a genious to recognize it either.
The vehicle shown is not even close to being retro, except in its concept(and the fact that Subaru produced something similar even makes it less retro). GM produced ElCamino's for almost 30 years, and even Ford had the Ranchero. Plus the one thing this vehicle will have that the Subaru didn't is V8 power, most likely with D.O.D. and even a 6 speed. The styling in the pictures is not good, but if done right it could do well and would be competing against small pick ups, and those DO sell like hotcakes. Also, this is not from the European market, it is from Holden, and the magazine guys go nuts for the stuff they have there (I usually do not agree with them). If it was done right, like the previous ElCamino, it would share the majority of its components with another vehicle- the majority of the interior, suspension, drivetrain and body panels, etc

Old 09-03-2007, 07:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mzoomora
The vehicle shown is not even close to being retro, except in its concept(and the fact that Subaru produced something similar even makes it less retro). GM produced ElCamino's for almost 30 years, and even Ford had the Ranchero. Plus the one thing this vehicle will have that the Subaru didn't is V8 power, most likely with D.O.D. and even a 6 speed. The styling in the pictures is not good, but if done right it could do well and would be competing against small pick ups, and those DO sell like hotcakes. Also, this is not from the European market, it is from Holden, and the magazine guys go nuts for the stuff they have there (I usually do not agree with them). If it was done right, like the previous ElCamino, it would share the majority of its components with another vehicle- the majority of the interior, suspension, drivetrain and body panels, etc

This is 2007, not 1975!

The majority of people, that would be interested in this, would not be concerned with it being a V8 or not. The outer appearence, is what would draw the majority of its consumers.

The SSR is a flop, it has a V8
The Thunderbird was a flop, it had a V8

Honestly, who are they targeting? If that same car, said Hyundai on the back, you guys would be laughing, just as I am.
Old 09-03-2007, 07:53 PM
14 Second Truck Club

This is 2007, not 1975!

The majority of people, that would be interested in this, would not be concerned with it being a V8 or not. The outer appearence, is what would draw the majority of its consumers.

Honestly, who are they targeting? If that same car, said Hyundai on the back, you guys would be laughing, just as I am.
The SSR and Thunderbird were both very expensive and pretty impractical, also if it were a Hyundai it would have a 170hp V6 as its top line engine.

Also, just like car/SUV crossovers, the looks as well as the utility of it is what would attract people.

What is funny is that you havent even seen what it MIGHT look like, yet you are bagging on the looks. What myself and some others in this thread are commenting on is the concept of the vehicle. The looks of the Holden Ute are not right for the states, but they can change that.

Like I said previously they could target the current crossover market as well as small truck market. Car like handling, comfort and fuel economy with small truck practicality.

It may not be 1975, or 65, or 85, but that doesnt mean that a design that was profitable then cant be profitable now. They also made SUV's, full size trucks, 4 door cars, sporty coupes, mid size cars, etc. You cant knock something just because they used to make it.

If this were a Toyota you would be all over it.

Edit- Also, neither one of those pictures is a car produced in the 70's.
Old 09-03-2007, 07:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is 2007, not 1975!

The SSR was a useless, overpriced toy. You couldn't haul crap with it, it weighed a lot, based on a Trailblazer chassis, cost as much as a Corvette, and drove like a turd compared to a Vette.

Thunderbird had the same problem, overpriced, drove like poo, underpowered, useless toy costing Corvette $$$.

Both of those cars were orginally show cars that went into production. Thus the jacked up price The Ute is already being built, so brining it over here is very cost effective and would sell for under $30,000.

As for people not wanting V8's, they do sell six cylinder versions in Austraila. But there are plenty of other cars with V8's that are selling well(300c, Charger, Vettes, Mustang, full size trucks, and all the hype about the new Camaro and Charger)

If you don't like the Ute fine. If you don't think its viable in the US, at least give me a good reason instead of moronic rambling.
Old 09-03-2007, 08:52 PM
On The Tree

Naw it had a 3.5 v6. So yeah it was a pig.
Old 09-03-2007, 11:31 PM
Teching In

How naive to compare such a vehicle as the Holden Ute to a Subaru Baja. It's quite obvious that your knowledge of the heritage behind the Ute is limited.

I do beleive there is a market for the Ute in the USA, Why? Because we here in Australia are very much like you, we love our V8s. And the ability to have such a vehicle with all the goodies one could want would no-doubt score a hit with certain demographics in your country, just like it is here, a huge hit.

Whether it's for work or play, the idea of a Ute is extremely marketable. I own a ute (as well as a Firebird). A few of my mates own Utes. They are a huge hit with car enthusiasts, rev-heads just like the ones on this forum. The pictures speak for themselves, keeping in mind that these are the old shape models.

(Photos taken by myself and courtesy of Boostcruising.com)
Old 09-03-2007, 11:56 PM
Banned

That shiet is hideous. It looks just like Baja. I dont care about the history, since it was never sold here! The point is, the shiet is , looks to ricerish to me.
Old 09-04-2007, 12:03 AM
On The Tree

I'd rock one if it came in a M6. I'd hope they make it a Pontiac, but I'd take it as a Chevy or GMC. Either way, I'd take a Ute before a 'camaro or a new GTO (unless they go with Firebird again ).
Old 09-04-2007, 02:05 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by AronZ28
If you don't like the Ute fine. If you don't think its viable in the US, at least give me a good reason instead of moronic rambling.
That shiet is hideous. It looks just like Baja. I dont care about the history, since it was never sold here! The point is, the shiet is , looks to ricerish to me.
And yet more moronic rambling.

Also, that vehicle would have history here if it was sold as a El Camino.
Old 09-04-2007, 05:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

It does have history,dude. The El Camino was made here and there, and we stopped making them when the RWD Monte Carlo body style went out of production, partly because the S10 was selling hot enough for the two of them. The aussies never stopped making them IIRC.

And you are MISTAKEN. The BAJA looks like the UTE, not the other way around. Plus, it doesn't look ricerish to me at all. Ricers don't drive 6.0L V8 RWD trucklets.
Old 09-04-2007, 05:56 PM
TECH Addict

That yellow one doesn't look to bad, I like the orange one with the flame job. But that giant hatch thing kills it.
-Joel
Old 09-04-2007, 08:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2000Hawk
That yellow one doesn't look to bad, I like the orange one with the flame job. But that giant hatch thing kills it.
-Joel
Oh come on man, its the Ute hearse. Don't tell me you wouldn't want your corpse hauled around in that
Old 09-04-2007, 09:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ive been waiting for one now for 8 years. thats when i first heard rumors of it coming here. as for retro it has been built in australia since jan. 1950 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holden_Ute
Old 09-04-2007, 10:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by camarolvr69
Naw it had a 3.5 v6. So yeah it was a pig.

Naw, it had a 3.9 liter V8 rated at "280hp"

My dad has one and yes its a piece of junk.
Old 09-05-2007, 01:51 PM
TECH Veteran

God I love it.

The HSV model is insane.

Nothing combines work and play better. Some of the Ute drag-strip videos out there are insane.
Old 09-05-2007, 01:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Mmmm, burnouts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38yoHr0BFpU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T83Z4p1UCGY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5s7MwW9qLw

Drag racing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_OtNt_nzek

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UDDm6JEeRw
Old 09-05-2007, 07:08 PM
Banned

Quick Baja

Quick Reply: New Holden Ute Revealed, Strong Chance It Will Come to US as Chevy or GMC