Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

New Holden Ute Revealed, Strong Chance It Will Come to US as Chevy or GMC

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 09:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exclamation New Holden Ute Revealed, Strong Chance It Will Come to US as Chevy or GMC

It has the same powertrain and interior/features as the new Holden Commodore/Pontiac G8 with added versatility and a bit less weight (3,500lbs).

The perfect car for those of us who need to run to Home Depot but hate owning and driving big, lumbering trucks. A muscle car with a bed payload of 1,400lbs and can tow over 3,600lbs.

WEBSITE

http://www.holden.com.au/www-holden/...y?vehicleid=15

VIDEO

http://media.drive.com.au/?rid=30988

HOT ROD and GMHTP articles on the outgoing Ute

http://www.hotrod.com/featuredvehicl..._ss/index.html

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...ure/index.html

A four-door model and optional AWD will follow.
Old 08-24-2007, 09:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Once bitten, twice shy?

CarPoint's scoop regarding the fast-tracking of the new Holden VE Ute (picked up by other websites late this week) was reluctantly confirmed by Holden staff at the Pontiac G8 announcement.

Though they refused to go 'on the record,' senior execs confirmed that the ute needs to go online to help increase plant efficiencies at Elizabeth ahead of the volume increases to accommodate G8 (and other export) production. Currently the plant builds both VE and VZ (ute and wagon) variants, which adds complexity and slows the line.

The nameplate the Ute will head to the USA under is still a closely-guarded secret, however, Holden boss Denny Mooney (inadvertently or otherwise) threw another brand into the ring this week, GMC.

GM's 'commercial' brand in the USA with a line-up made solely of pick-ups, trucks, SUVs and vans, GMC could benefit from the 'sex appeal' of a performance-oriented V8 'sports pick-up.' Plus labelling the VE Ute GMC would also sidestep the need to attach an iconic badge (El Camino) to the Australian-built hauler as would be the case if it was sold as a Chevrolet.

A case or once bitten twice shy? Mooney did say this week that the only mistake GM made with the Pontiac-branded Monaro-based US model was calling it a GTO.

www.carpoint.com.au

2011 Chevrolet El Camino SS - Will it happen?

By: Hans G. Lehmann Posted: 07-06-07 09:04 PT
© 2007 PickupTruck.com

Following on the success of its Pontiac GTO export deal to the US, GM's Aussie division Holden earlier this year struck a deal to export sporty versions of its new VE Commodore sedans to the States, badged as the Pontiac G8.

Now, with the Ute, or pickup truck, version of the VE Commodore due to be released in Australia in just over one month's time, we have produced a computer illustration of what a Chevy version might look like.

There have been confirmed reports that GM is interested in this vehicle and, given that the car is sold in Australia in a sporty V8 guise, it's possible that it might provide GM the opportunity to dust off the legendary El Camino nameplate. Wheels magazine reported the following in its June issue: "Ever since GM's global product boss Bob Lutz became interested in rebadging Holdens for North America, there has been speculation – much of it from Lutz himself – that the Ute could work as a reborn Chevrolet El Camino. As recently as February, outgoing Holden MD Denny Mooney was talking up the Ute export program. "I can tell you we've been working on that for over a year (and) the Ute would be unique in the US. It has a fair likelihood (of happening)."

From the A-pillar forward the ute is a dead ringer for the Commodore sedan, but aside form the front doors the rest of the car's panels will be unique pressings. The underpinnings, however, are firmly Commodore-based, meaning a 2915mm wheelbase, strut front suspension, and multi-link rear suspension.

Whereas in Australia the Ute spans everything from a basic V6 workhorse at the lower end of the range, right through to a V8-powered SS sports version, any future El Camino would almost certainly be based on the latter.

That means power from a 362-hp 6.0-liter V8, mated to either a six-speed manual or a six-speed auto. Elsewhere, the package would include leather trim, 19" or 20" alloy wheels, and quad exhaust pipes. With an expected curb weight of around 3,682-lbs this will be one rapid load hauler.

GM, just put a bowtie on it and send it our way. Please.

Put a bowtie on it and send it my way.

Ford Australia also sells their own Falcon Ute.

Old 08-24-2007, 09:58 PM
Teching In

The new ute looks fantastic. Can't wait to go see them once they hit the showroom floors in Oct. Hopefully they will be shipped to you guys (Nth America) as I'm sure they would be a big hit.
Old 08-25-2007, 12:28 AM
TECH Junkie

If it weighs 3500 and had a LS3 mated to a M6 I would buy it maybe over a camaro...unless it is called El-Camino. Forget that name. Nah...I think I like the camaro better...but having a bed in it sure is nice...

W
Old 08-25-2007, 12:31 AM
TECH Regular

Yeah it actually looks pretty damn good as is...If they **** with it and slap a bowtie on it I'm sure it'll be puke worthy--so I 2x the "Put a bowtie on it and send it my way."

Impala may be finally looking good again. One can only hope.
Old 08-26-2007, 12:33 AM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh my. Resurrecting a damn El Camino. Dear Lord...that thing is UGLY, IMO. I have nothing against El Camino's, but this thing is a crime against those blessed with sight.
Old 08-26-2007, 02:21 PM
TECH Addict

As much as i like the look of the car they better not dare bring it here. GM is having issues as is with people not liking most of their line-up. I remember when all the hype was about the SSR and that thing got GM nowhere. The G8 looks fantastic and i hope i can afford one in the near future, but who cares how many people say they want one. The question is how many people that say they want one, will actually buy it when it comes out.
-Joel
Old 08-26-2007, 02:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I like the green one!
Old 08-26-2007, 04:29 PM
On The Tree

Its the production EL Camaro lol.
Old 08-26-2007, 08:39 PM
TECH Veteran

The Ute is much different than the SSR. The SSR was a high-dollar toy purely made for collectors like the Plymouth Prowler and retro Ford Thunderbird. It was very expensive and built out of the Trailblazer which meant it was body-on-frame and heavy.

The Ute is not expensive, and it's not based on a truck like the SSR. It is a mainstream car with rigid unibody construction and a fully independent suspension like a car. It is affordable, lightweight and can do all the tricks any muscle car can in addition to hauling large loads in the back.

This vehicle is literally a Pontiac G8 with a tub in place of the rear seat and trunk. They are identical underneath the body.

Holden cannot build limitless copies of it for export, probably 20,000 at the most. I doubt GM would have trouble moving that many unless they decide to make it look ugly like the El Camino chops that have been floating around.
Old 08-26-2007, 11:46 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah but remember this is GM, as great as they are they have been known to go down-hill from concept to production. Don't get me wrong its a bad-*** looking car, but how many people really off this forum would really consider getting something like that. To tell you the truth if i had alot of money to spend sure I'd get one, but if i was on a budget i would either get a G8 or a truck.
-Joel
Old 08-27-2007, 07:14 AM
Banned

IF that shiet would have said Hyundai on the back of it, you guys would be laughing so hard. It amazes me, how dedicated and blinded you guys are. That car is hideous! Reminds me of the Subaru
Old 08-27-2007, 12:26 PM
TECH Addict

This is actually not hideous. If someone were to ever design a vehicle like that and do it right, well, I think they just have. It's functional and doesn't look that bad.
Old 08-27-2007, 12:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does seem like they are attempting the SSR again. I never researched heavily into them, but they came accross as a sports truck from what I somewhat remember.

There was a guy that I actually talked to that has a SSR that claims it is built right off the Vette... entirely, just a different body. Same engine and all. I looked under the hood and it had the 5.3 (which I think came in the earlier models) and he told me it was a chevy 350 big block... right...

If they bring these things to the states they need to advertise them. The only people that know about these cars are the people that actually follow along with cars. They need to advertise their cars more. Only Pontiac commerical I ever saw for the GTO was on Speed channel, never anywhere else. I saw a bit of the G6 commercials but they seem to have fallen off.
Old 08-27-2007, 12:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

You know, I like that Ute...

Chevy needs to stop being retarded and offer a Silverado with exterior panels done out like the SSR(maybe toned down JUST a bit), but keep the truck usable. That'd sell a lot.
Old 08-27-2007, 12:48 PM
TECH Junkie

People were screamin for the Holden lineup to makes it way to US shores when the Commodore and Monaro got LSx's and we were stick with FWD V6 Impala's and Monte's.

Now GMs finally listening, and people are bitching about them in a different manner lol. IMO GM and Ford are stupid for leaving the HSV and FPV lineups in Oz alone. They look better then the majority of **** we get AND have power to boot! I say bring 'em on.
Old 08-27-2007, 03:45 PM
TECH Addict

The thing is im all for the G8 coming from Holden, that is one bad-*** looking car. But something like the UTE isn't what GM needs right now in their line-up. I don't believe its going to be as popular as many people think. Yeah they "might" sell good the first few months, but after that it just might go down-hill. The thing is the G8 has great looks outside, and fantastic looks on the interior. The option of a 6 speed manual or 6 speed auto, will really give peopel another option to look at when buying a car. The UTE yea is a great concept part G8, part truck. But seriously how many people are going to want something like that. I seriously wouldn't.
-Joel
Old 08-27-2007, 04:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I honestly don't see the 2 door version ever selling well on its own. No back seat. I think the only way for them to bring the Ute to the US would be to sell both 2 doors and four door models. I think a lot of families would roll around in a four door Ute. They could get the people currently looking at crew cab pickup trucks into one. The Ute would get a lot better gas mileage, drive better, and have a similar size bed.
Old 08-27-2007, 05:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i'd but the two door in a hart beat honest who bought there camaro or t/a cuz it seats two people and two midgets
Old 08-27-2007, 05:24 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I want one so bad... Elcamino Holden what ever u want to call it it wouldnt matter whens its spanking a mustang while hauling parts home.

Quick Reply: New Holden Ute Revealed, Strong Chance It Will Come to US as Chevy or GMC