Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

NASCAR is a joke

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 07:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bandit79
Actually, they tested at Talledega last week and the speeds were the same. Even in the draft. http://www.jayski.com/stats/testing/...7talladega.htm
I can't say NASCAR is a joke. I don't like the cars of Tommorow, though. Here are some facts from one of the articles I read. Thank you for the link.

Reference Automotive Engineering May 2007 Vol 115 N 5

"The car of tommorow rear wing has a much shorter low pressure wake."

The car of tommorow relies on the body panels to produce downforce...

The reliance on the front splitter and body panels has lead some to believe the cars will be less stable after a wreck compared to the older cars.

Additional drag from the larger roof would absorb 150 hp at the top speed if matched with the spoiler.

This bigger cabin increases the frontal area raising drag and, in theory, slowing the car.

I feel like the whole damn car is a rolling commerical for Impaxx foam. Sure you aren't in the Auto industry so it doesn't make sense to you. But, I read about this stuff all the time and I know what products are trying to be pushed onto the OEMs.

Last edited by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed; 09-17-2007 at 07:48 PM.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 1bdbrd
What in the hell are you talking about? What did they steal? That was probably the most unfounded, racist post I have ever seen on here.
HAHAHAHAAHA. How many Asian people have you lived/worked with in the last ten years? I bet about 20 less than me.

I am in industry and from conversing with friends in the automotive, electronics, electrical motors, aerospace, you name it. Many products are copied word for word. Go to Wikipedia and look up what a HONEY POT is. Your education has taught you to be too politically correct and it is messing with your ability to defend your country's rights. When someone takes something and completely copies it down to the intentionally placed errors, I would say that is theft.

Go look up the recent Iphone copies. The abundance of IC thefts and copies. Want an older example? How about the HUGE Kubota tractor scandal. I realise that is a little different situation but still it proves that there is no limits on what these people will steal.

I think you can be an elitist when it comes to trading if the country in question is bending you over.

I am sorry. Asia is the knock off capital of the world and if you don't believe it then you need to take a vacation.

Last edited by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed; 09-17-2007 at 07:40 PM.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:39 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hate nascar with a passion
Old 09-17-2007, 09:55 PM
Teching In

LOL dodge
Old 09-18-2007, 12:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

I watched the begining of the season because of Juan Pablo Montoya, dont really watch it anymore. But I do love hearing a NA v-8 that makes a shitload of power and redlines at over 9000rpm that can run hard for that long.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:30 AM
Teching In

But I do love hearing a NA v-8 that makes a shitload of power and redlines at over 9000rpm that can run hard for that long.
agreed!
Old 09-18-2007, 03:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2_slow_5.0
LOL dodge
dodge has only one win less than ford in the nextel cup, needless to say that Chevy is murdering them both but I think the LOL goes to Toyota-- 0 wins and lets just say they are little behind in points
Old 09-20-2007, 01:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by dailydriver
This is what I try to explain (futilely) to all of the kneejerk, brainwashed, lemming/sheeple importfanboyzz who are trained to respond with the "racist card" when anyone dislikes their precious rides (for ANY reason).
I mean, how the F*** can one be "racist" towards an inanimate object?? I don't like granite, does that make me a racist??

At worst, you are a "nationalist" if you hate on another country's products, and prefer, or will only purchase from your own country's companies.

Sometimes, in an effort to appear more "intelligencia" than others, and in a desperate attempt to distance themselves from "mindless, dumbass, rednecked mulletheads" some actually come off as MORE ignorant than those they are mocking/criticizing.
I take it you can't read to save your life. Note the TWO domestics currently occupying my signature; those go hand-in-hand with my previous four domestics. To this day I have not owner an import, so I am hard pressed to understand how I am an "importfanboyzz"?

What was racist about it? It wasn't that he was saying negative things about imports. It was him grouping every person in that area of the world together based on some stupid stereotype. As far as I understand, that is a bit racist. Which says a lot coming from someone who has the historical background my family does.
Old 09-20-2007, 11:31 AM
TECH Junkie

Notice all the real car guys hate nascar, and people who dont know any better likt it?

Give me F1 and rally
Old 09-20-2007, 04:12 PM
12 Second Club

I take it you can't read to save your life. Note the TWO domestics currently occupying my signature; those go hand-in-hand with my previous four domestics. To this day I have not owner an import, so I am hard pressed to understand how I am an "importfanboyzz"?

What was racist about it? It wasn't that he was saying negative things about imports. It was him grouping every person in that area of the world together based on some stupid stereotype. As far as I understand, that is a bit racist. Which says a lot coming from someone who has the historical background my family does.
My post was not necessarily directed at you in particular. And yes, if someone is directing slurs/derogatory remarks/etc. towards a whole group of people of a single race, then that IS most definitely racist.

I'm just sick and tired of all the little import ONLY fanboys calling me a mulleted (until I was on car forums, I did not even know what a "mullet" was!), dumbass, rednecked, racist for not loving (and refusing to buy) their import nameplates/"JDM" ****/etc. Especially not when I live 20 miles outside of Manhattan, NYC and I'm going out with a native (although an AMERICAN citizen now) mainland Chinese girl. I've actually had some douchebags on other sites (bobistheoilguy.com), still say that I'm a racist towards Nipponese people specifically, because I refuse to buy their cars for economic/trade disparity reasons. If that is not a "kneejerk/brainwashed" response, then I don't know what is!! Last time I checked, most of the people living in the land of the rising sun were considered part of the general Asian race, no??

BTW; one can still be an import fanboy while owning domestics (NOT saying you are). Just look at all of the ones on here who would trade a perfect, fast, reliable f body/y body for a 15 year old beat up MKIV TT "in a heartbeat" if they had the chance.

Last edited by dailydriver; 09-20-2007 at 04:24 PM.
Old 09-20-2007, 05:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by slick1851
Notice all the real car guys hate nascar, and people who dont know any better likt it?

Give me F1 and rally
How is that a legitamite statement? How is it that only "true" car guys like a sport that produces a car that can go almost 250 mph when properly tuner? And how is F1 a better series? Any time I watch an F1 race usaually first one to the first turn wins. Not always, but a good mjority. Yes, F1 is the more technolgically advanced series, but I find it more boring. Call me a redneck retard if you want, but NASCAR is a southern bred sport. The majority of peple who have a problem with it are usually not from the south. Give NASCAR the $100+ million dollar budget Ferrari has and see what they can do with it.

Now rally is totally different. The car control those guys have is some of the best in the world. Throwing a car around like that at over 100mph on dirt, gravel, and every other imaginable pavement is awesome.

Don't go punishing the many for the actions of the few when it comes to NASCAR. A good amount of poeple don't know alot about cars watch NASCAR, but a damn large majority do.
Old 09-20-2007, 09:11 PM
TECH Veteran

I am not Ariain Nordic white anglo causian orgins whatever the term of the day is. Racist? I don't know about that. The mullet icon pisses me off when my opinions of that industry are based on facts and stolen IP/products. Flip on the news. You don't have to hate people. You can hate what they do. Why does everyone pull the racist card when you don't argee with theft, market statergies, or something wrong? If anything the people who I decended from where being stamped into the ground continously and Anglos are the racists.

I am not a fan of NASCAR. I can't see how people say there is no stratergy involved. That is an absurd statement. Further, if you look it seems as though more NASCAR drivers are "real" people who started on dirt track or some other lowly style of racing. I can't say its my style, however, there is great talent involved in when to pit, when to pass, how the car is set-up, how aggressive to drive, and who is in your pit. This turn left philosophy doesn't paint a realistic picture for me.

Last edited by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed; 09-20-2007 at 09:17 PM.
Old 09-21-2007, 12:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by dailydriver
My post was not necessarily directed at you in particular. And yes, if someone is directing slurs/derogatory remarks/etc. towards a whole group of people of a single race, then that IS most definitely racist.

I'm just sick and tired of all the little import ONLY fanboys calling me a mulleted (until I was on car forums, I did not even know what a "mullet" was!), dumbass, rednecked, racist for not loving (and refusing to buy) their import nameplates/"JDM" ****/etc. Especially not when I live 20 miles outside of Manhattan, NYC and I'm going out with a native (although an AMERICAN citizen now) mainland Chinese girl. I've actually had some douchebags on other sites (bobistheoilguy.com), still say that I'm a racist towards Nipponese people specifically, because I refuse to buy their cars for economic/trade disparity reasons. If that is not a "kneejerk/brainwashed" response, then I don't know what is!! Last time I checked, most of the people living in the land of the rising sun were considered part of the general Asian race, no??

BTW; one can still be an import fanboy while owning domestics (NOT saying you are). Just look at all of the ones on here who would trade a perfect, fast, reliable f body/y body for a 15 year old beat up MKIV TT "in a heartbeat" if they had the chance.
That's not a very legitimate argument though. In 10 years an MKIV will STILL be worth more than any 82+ fbody ever made, including the stickered up "special edition" models (ala SS, WS6, Firehawks, ect). Owning an MKIV isn't the same as owning an fbody but that isn't the argument here..

Anyway, I don't personally care what cars you like and don't like or respect and don't respect. What I find stupid is people that don't have any basis for their feelings other than "its an import.." That's a very uneducated statement thats only around because the internet continues to push it.
Old 09-21-2007, 12:59 AM
11 Second Club

I used to love Nascar, I never watch it anymore though. I hate the chase for the cup b.s., all the toyota ****, its all about money now.
Old 09-21-2007, 02:30 AM
Launching!

i used to to love nascar too. but today big money runs the sport.about a year ago sterling marlin was released from the 40 car. reason. old people don,t drink beer. well i,m old, and i drink beer, sometimes lots of beer.but it won,t be coors . never.
Old 09-21-2007, 05:08 AM
Staging Lane

Default Money

Money is what makes all sports go round. Ask the residents of Rockingham, NC what a whole bunch of money can do for you or should I say do for California. I used to love going to Rockingham to watch Nascar now I just go to the dragstrip across the street.
Toyota is years behind in Nascar, by the time they catch up the COT will be the Car of Yesterday. I like the idea of bringing in stangs and Camaros etc into the Busch races, hopefully eventually they will make there way into Nascar as well. Just my opinion!
Old 09-21-2007, 06:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have been a NASCAR fan since 1981, and I agree with everything that has been said above. I will not go to another race . I will give my money to the local short/dirt tracks and watch some great racing. Go see a Super Late Model race or a 410 sprint car race and you will see what I mean. If you watched the Nascar guys race late models at Eldora Speedway, that was entertaining.
Old 09-21-2007, 11:39 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Giddswat
I have been a NASCAR fan since 1981, and I agree with everything that has been said above. I will not go to another race . I will give my money to the local short/dirt tracks and watch some great racing. Go see a Super Late Model race or a 410 sprint car race and you will see what I mean. If you watched the Nascar guys race late models at Eldora Speedway, that was entertaining.
Exactly!!! local short tracks or some of the NASCAR touring divisions or sprint car series provide the BEST racing
Old 09-21-2007, 02:03 PM
12 Second Club

That's not a very legitimate argument though. In 10 years an MKIV will STILL be worth more than any 82+ fbody ever made, including the stickered up "special edition" models (ala SS, WS6, Firehawks, ect)
How is it not "legitimate"?? The value (percieved OR otherwise) has NOTHING to do with it!!!! It IS an import (not even a transplant, so the importees cannot use that f'ed up arguement), and there are those who faithfully worship it, hence; import fanboys.

Hopefully, in 10 years they (MKIV TTs) will ALL be gone (crashed, crunched, destroyed or blown up), so we will not be having this arguement at that time.
Just some fanboyzz lamenting their non-existence. -->.
Old 09-21-2007, 03:33 PM
14 Second Truck Club

That's not a very legitimate argument though. In 10 years an MKIV will STILL be worth more than any 82+ fbody ever made, including the stickered up "special edition" models (ala SS, WS6, Firehawks, ect). Owning an MKIV isn't the same as owning an fbody but that isn't the argument here..

Anyway, I don't personally care what cars you like and don't like or respect and don't respect. What I find stupid is people that don't have any basis for their feelings other than "its an import.." That's a very uneducated statement thats only around because the internet continues to push it.
He did mention economic/trade desparity as a very valid reason. Manipulating currency and other VERY unethical business practices are very good reasons to not buy Japanese made products

Also, I would hope that MkIV's would cost more, they were a $40k car compared to a 98 Z28 that could be had for just over $20k. They were never competition for each other. It is a valid argument that they retain their value better though, but they are also much harder to find which helps keep the value up.

None of this matters anyway since it is all

Quick Reply: NASCAR is a joke