Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

2008 Cobalt SS Runs an 8:22 at Nurburgring

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 01:19 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Colbalt is a different much better car, shares some things with the old peice of **** but still a new car

Can we stop the fucken pissing match here?

GM is coming out with one of the worlds fastest fwd cars to hit the market, and laps the ring with great numbers, what more can you ask for?

The GM line up is finally going to be nice with all the other cars coming out, I cant wait!
Old 12-12-2007, 12:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
And you know what? If Ford had called the '05 Mustang the "Pony Express," I would still call it the "new Mustang."
Then you would be wrong and the car would still be for girls and limp-wristed barbers.
Old 12-12-2007, 12:56 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by Hydramatic
Then you would be wrong and the car would still be for girls and limp-wristed barbers.
To each his own. And my Frontier was faster than your Silverado
Old 12-12-2007, 01:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thats incredible..... wonder what the fwd record is for stock car
Old 12-13-2007, 10:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

To each his own. And my Frontier was faster than your Silverado
Touche. My truck is made of metal.

Also, my truck can pull things without breaking and can seat six. Comfortably.
Old 12-13-2007, 11:07 PM
TECH Veteran

I would argue that the reason for the name change is obvious and needed. To demonstrate this consider the following:

Cavalier's drivers are more likey to go for an Aveo if they got a new GM car. Why am I saying this? Because of the price range. Cavalier used to sell for 10K base. Aveo is 10K base, now. Cobalt is a better quality product and base retails higher than what most J's were MSRPing for [2002 LS Sport was 16K with ALL OPTIONS]. It [Cobalt] is build for people that want more and will pay more.

It is more than economics. Most J bodys didn't get a 140/150 hp engine where as Cobalts start at that level. This means that the standard of performance has been shifted up as well as the price tag. No more Izuzu trans or 2.2 OHVs!

In fact, the Cobalt and Cavalier share little aside from both being MacPherson and Twist beams. At least with the lower A arms on a 2 gen and gen 3 Cavy are some what similar.

All I am trying to say is that if GM left the name alone the New Cavalier wouldn't match what a person shopping for a old Cavalier would expect.
Old 12-14-2007, 01:16 AM
12 Second Club

Well, a few points here gentlemen...

I am a former Cavy driver/tuner, and an avid member of jbody.org for 4 years. I'd like to take a couple of points made here and add my 2 cents. To the folks saying that the Cobalt is the new Cavalier: Yes, GM decided to design a new compact car, with similar HP outputs, upped a little bit with the intro of the Ecotec (actually debuted in the 3rd gen Cavy, last quarter of '02 in limited quantities). It was absolutely meant as a replacement for the Cavalier. Now, in respect to the opinions of some that it's the same "POS" with a different name, you should realize that what makes the Cobalt literally a new car/design, is the fact that it's built on the Delta platform (D-Body), NOT the J-Body platform that the Cavy was based on. Two totally different chassis/frames, nevermind the macpherson setup.
Old 12-14-2007, 09:42 AM
***Repost Police***

Touche. My truck is made of metal.

Also, my truck can pull things without breaking and can seat six. Comfortably.
Frontier was all the truck I needed... seats 5 comfortably, V6/6spd, $20k... and I don't tow, but it could also have towed anything that I would have needed. The good motor with the manual option was the big thing that made me get it though
Old 12-14-2007, 12:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Frontier was all the truck I needed... seats 5 comfortably, V6/6spd, $20k... and I don't tow, but it could also have towed anything that I would have needed. The good motor with the manual option was the big thing that made me get it though
Truth be told, I always did kinda like Frontiers...My dad had an '80's King Cab with the flip-down bench seats in the back that were incredibly unsafe...lol I loved that truck.

If only everybody bought cars like you, buying only as much vehicle as you really need, the world would be a better place to drive in...I'm sick of seeing little 4-foot tall women driving F-250 Supercrew turbodiesels ALONE.
Old 12-15-2007, 12:40 AM
***Repost Police***

Truth be told, I always did kinda like Frontiers...My dad had an '80's King Cab with the flip-down bench seats in the back that were incredibly unsafe...lol I loved that truck.

If only everybody bought cars like you, buying only as much vehicle as you really need, the world would be a better place to drive in...I'm sick of seeing little 4-foot tall women driving F-250 Supercrew turbodiesels ALONE.
Yeah, I miss that truck... I often think about my garage having a yellow LS2 GTO, that truck with a few boltons and an LSD, and my friend's CB600 F4i . It's depressing
Old 12-16-2007, 11:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1FST-Z
...I am a former Cavy driver/tuner, and an avid member of jbody.org for 4 years. I'd like to take a couple of points made here and add my 2 cents. To the folks saying that the Cobalt is the new Cavalier: Yes, GM decided to design a new compact car, with similar HP outputs, upped a little bit with the intro of the Ecotec ...
Of course it's a new car and, in my case, I wasn't saying it is (or was) a POS. I know people who swore by them. Others hated them. My comments have been strictly about the styling. Here are some ideas that might spice it up:

1) Keep the dimensions and profile.
2) Add some features to the side panels, like brake vents or intake ducts (simulated or otherwise).
3) Sharpen the bend lines in the stampings, like the new Camaro and 2008 Accord (which I dislike, but has very well-done stampings)

Any or all of these things would give it some personality. Right now (like the prior generation Cavalier) it is too plain for me.

Performance-wise, the new options are just what the doctor ordered!
Old 12-16-2007, 12:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

I always thought the old Z24 Cavaliers were really sharp looking cars...why don't they go back to that kind of styling?
Old 12-16-2007, 01:28 PM
12 Second Club

LTSpeed:

All very good points, and I totally agree with your ideas on styling!

Old 05-14-2008, 07:03 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
The 'ring is more about handling then power and it's obvious that GM spent time and money getting the setup right on the 2008 Cobalt. The car probably weighs 3100lbs and with the amount of power it's making, along with a good suspension under the car, it's no surprise that it's quick.

Why is everybody pissing into the wind over this??? We should be happy that GM is making these cars and putting the time and effort into gaining market share back from the Japanese sub $25,000 sports car market.
Agree
Old 05-14-2008, 07:08 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by Cmhatter9SS
Agree
Wow... back from the dead

Quick Reply: 2008 Cobalt SS Runs an 8:22 at Nurburgring