Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

First Independent Nissan GTR Test!

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 10:52 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i wonder what the logic behind it is.
The two most obvious reasons are, 1st; Warranty, they have a certain factor of safety built into the controller to keep a driver from putting the car into a condition that may damage the vehicle. This vehicle is complicated as is and will have enough issues with out having driver introduced warranty problems. All vehicles, and especially newly introduced vehicles will have issues whether they are minor or large. Many will not be obvious to the public and some won't be apparent for years down the road.

2nd: It can probably out perform the operator in "most" driving situations that they have been taken into consideration when programmed. Not all driving conditions have been used when these vehicles are developed. You try to capture most conditions at the proving grounds and on public roads, but there are always conditions that are unforseen. As seen over the years, a good driver on a familiar course can out perform most of the automated systems the OEM's have put on their vehicles.

Last edited by TT632; 12-21-2007 at 12:13 AM.
Old 12-22-2007, 12:43 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's the Edmunds video, since i can seem to get the original one in the link to work.

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/a...0b00ff161b.htm
Old 12-22-2007, 03:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

how much is it going to cost?
Old 12-22-2007, 09:21 AM
TECH Resident

I also didn't like the look, and still don't, but I think with a body color grille section it looks better (excuse the quick photoshop work):
Attached Thumbnails First Independent Nissan GTR Test!-09.nissan.gtr.10.500color-change.jpg   First Independent Nissan GTR Test!-09.nissan.gtr.10.500.jpg  
Old 12-22-2007, 01:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok a couple facts, the GTR has been tested at about 470 AWHP which explains the time it runs plus the ultra trick AWD. Secondly your not going to get much better time than an launch mode, 4500 rpm clutch dump AWD traction run.

Maybe a 10th or 1 mph because the Edmunds test surface wasn't ideal. But Certainly not the difference between 120.9 and the 125 mph times even the average magazine times verify.

As verified by the 997 Turbo which has ran 3.2 0-60 and in certain tests has been very close to the Z06 thru the 1/4 mile. When speeds rise such as 0-150 times it shows the Z06's true power. One of the tests was a drag race with a GTR and 997 Turbo and the Turbo pulled ahead, not by much but it did.

high 10's @ 128 mph tell me of a car that is on a whole different performance plain than the GTR. This point is not arguable, the GTR is much easier to launch and get great times from than the Z06. Any idiot journalist can click off great times.
Old 12-22-2007, 02:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by germeezy1
Ok a couple facts, the GTR has been tested at about 470 AWHP which explains the time it runs plus the ultra trick AWD. Secondly your not going to get much better time than an launch mode, 4500 rpm clutch dump AWD traction run.

Maybe a 10th or 1 mph because the Edmunds test surface wasn't ideal. But Certainly not the difference between 120.9 and the 125 mph times even the average magazine times verify.

As verified by the 997 Turbo which has ran 3.2 0-60 and in certain tests has been very close to the Z06 thru the 1/4 mile. When speeds rise such as 0-150 times it shows the Z06's true power. One of the tests was a drag race with a GTR and 997 Turbo and the Turbo pulled ahead, not by much but it did.

high 10's @ 128 mph tell me of a car that is on a whole different performance plain than the GTR. This point is not arguable, the GTR is much easier to launch and get great times from than the Z06. Any idiot journalist can click off great times.
I agree 100%, and I am disappointed the OP didn't address this in fairness to Porsche and the C6 Z06.

I eagerly wait for an independent test on a road course by Road and Track, with all the ~$100k GT's. I predict their lap times will all be very, VERY close.
Old 12-22-2007, 02:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I agree, but with pro drivers I see the Z06 pulling out an advantage. Faster in a straight line plus the new for 07 shocks that settle the rear end of the Z06 on corner exits.

The fact remains the average driver will be able to use much more of the GTR's peformance envelope. One thing about the Vette is that you know if you have a lapse of judgement that it will be dealt with quickly and punitively. It does not give you the false sense of security the GTR will.

That being said I will have to have my nitrous bottle ready at all times when the GTR's start coming out...
Old 12-22-2007, 02:47 PM
TECH Junkie

I agree, but with pro drivers I see the Z06 pulling out an advantage. Faster in a straight line plus the new for 07 shocks that settle the rear end of the Z06 on corner exits.

The fact remains the average driver will be able to use much more of the GTR's peformance envelope. One thing about the Vette is that you know if you have a lapse of judgement that it will be dealt with quickly and punitively. It does not give you the false sense of security the GTR will.

That being said I will have to have my nitrous bottle ready at all times when the GTR's start coming out...

Originally Posted by bboyferal
Someone could reasonably argue that an unskilled driver is just as dangerous if not more so in a Z06, or especially a Viper, due to the skill required to run fast laps since they are less forgiving in the hands of a novice. The Viper, specifically, has incredible road course talent but takes an awesome driver to unleash... Most would just spin the car out at every turn.

AWD on asphalt is a teacher that lets students turn in late assignments.
Old 12-22-2007, 03:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

I agree as well 100%. Well said.
Old 12-22-2007, 04:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I am a big believer in using a jackhammer when a ball peen hammer would do. And I enjoy driving my Corvette because in the back of my head I know the car has much higher limits than I do as a driver. Whats the fun in mastering a car that your grandma could Auto-X and be SCCA competitive? Where is the skill in that?
Old 12-22-2007, 05:51 PM
On The Tree

It all depends by "average drive", if you mean people who own these cars but don't race them(probably 75%) then yeah their going to suck for both GTR and Z06 but the edge goes to the GTR in that case since is AWD and easier.

Now if you mean "average driver" as in people who actually race their car regurly but arn't great drivers then I see the edge to the z06.

Now with great drivers the z06 will own it in the straight line.

I can't wait to see track comparisons between them,I think the c6z06 is going to beat it but only time will tell.
Old 12-22-2007, 06:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't see the GTR running close to a Z06 in a straight line. In a straight line it will be ugly for the GTR! And another point is the 3.3 0-60 is only with the launch mode engaged. Nobody is going to be doing 4500 rpm launch mode launches all the time. Without launch mode its 4.0 0-60 and 12.3@120 in the 1/4 mile...not so impressive.
Old 12-22-2007, 09:06 PM
TECH Junkie

"Without launch mode its 4.0 0-60 and 12.3@120 in the 1/4 mile...not so impressive."

Impressive to me, far from slow.

W
Old 12-22-2007, 09:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Without launch mode its 4.0 0-60 and 12.3@120 in the 1/4 mile...not so impressive.
I'm sorry but those numbers are still very impressive even without being in launch mode.
And regardless IMO I think the GTR will always win in a straight line on the street. Reason being on the street it's never about the amount of power you have but the amount of traction you bring. GTR will always have that over the Z06 and even the ZR1. But once they get up and going it will be a different story.

Not sure if any of you read the Road and Track article called "Speed Kings" But I think it will be the same with the GTR and Z06 as it was with the Bugatti and the Hennessey. From a dig the GTR will take the Z06 out of the hole until the Z06 gets enough traction to get going and then it's top end will take over and make up lost ground that the GTR had gained.
Again like someone else stated, we'll only know until we see then line up at the track though.
Old 12-22-2007, 10:16 PM
TECH Regular

Is the z06 really as good as you guys make it out to be or is it easier said than done? I mean I am reading it hit 10's with stock power, but I'm assuming the car had slicks to do that right? So I am wondering, is it really that easy or is it too good to be true, I mean can that rear end and tranny and all really hand those kinda hard launch's. If the z06 is really a 10 second car out of the box with just tire's (and if it can handle those tire's and hard launch's) then that's amazing...so the rear end is that much stronger that it can handle 10 second passes on slicks without needing to beef it up or anything? And the tranny...and clutch...I know the engine is amazing but damn, that's pretty awsome to have a 10 second car right out of the box from the way you guys are making it out to be...

I wonder what the skyline could do with better tire's, say even slicks and launching at a much higher rpm but I'd have the same concerns as above, can the drivetrain handle it?

I have friends that bought the ls1 around 2000 - 2002 and they would hide a small nitrous shot, run some great time's in it in the 12's, high 12's which I hear stock ls1's can run...but the ppl i'm talking about would spray a small shot that would be hidden from everyone and claim it was stock...i'm wondering if this was done to the z06 to get those 10 second time's because if people from around here do it, i mean I personally know a few that are clever like that, I'm sure there are more ppl just like that around the u.s, so I'm very skeptical when I read some of these claims about the z06 and it's "stock" 10 second passes.
Old 12-22-2007, 11:55 PM
14 Second Truck Club

There has actually been a Z06 that went 10.9x on the stock tires in good air. Again, not that common, but any decent driver should get low-mid 11's.
Old 12-23-2007, 01:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WECIV
"Without launch mode its 4.0 0-60 and 12.3@120 in the 1/4 mile...not so impressive."

Impressive to me, far from slow.

W
I just meant not as impressive as 3.3 0-60 and 11.6 1/4 mile, how is it that impressive when stock C5 Z06's run similar times? Yes its considered fast but my car is mid 11's N/A and I think its slow so pardon me for the considering it slow part.
Old 12-23-2007, 01:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

And I don't race from a dig, not many places to do so in my area. But I sure like shutting down people from a roll so I look at trap speeds just as much as I look at times. AWD cars or cars with amazing off the line grip always have amazing 0-60 and ET #'s.
Old 12-23-2007, 01:19 AM
On The Tree

12.3 is slow for the money but it gets 11.6 so is allright.
Old 12-23-2007, 08:20 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am a big believer in using a jackhammer when a ball peen hammer would do. And I enjoy driving my Corvette because in the back of my head I know the car has much higher limits than I do as a driver. Whats the fun in mastering a car that your grandma could Auto-X and be SCCA competitive? Where is the skill in that?
thats a great post right there. one thing i always thought sucked about awd is its nowhere near as fun to drive as rwd

Quick Reply: First Independent Nissan GTR Test!