Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

First Independent Nissan GTR Test!

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 12:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by qwikz28
thats a great post right there. one thing i always thought sucked about awd is its nowhere near as fun to drive as rwd
...for the most part....

Most RWD cars are way more fun than most AWD cars...except the rally homologation and high-performance AWD setups.

Little compares to drifting an Evo or STi around a hairpin sideways, then gassing it and saving yourself at the last second. EXHILERATING. It's like a rollercoaster ride if you know how to drive one correctly!

To have fun with one of these cars, however, you've got to take some risks and drive ***** OUT. You've got to know how the inertia of your car acts whilst turning, countersteering, and leveling out again. You've got to know the limits of your grip or else you do what a lot of Evo and STi drivers end up doing, which is forcing the car into understeer and flying off the outside edge of the road.

Most of all, you've got to practice practice practice. No one will pick the correct technique up in a day, especially if they have no exposure to this kind of risky driving.

AWD's can be fun as hell, but like I said before, most don't have the right kind of setup to give you that thrilling ride...a Pontiac 6000 isn't going to handle like an Tommi Makinen Evolution in other words...
Old 12-23-2007, 02:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

nice car......ill enjoy smoking it
Old 12-23-2007, 02:23 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by mzoomora
There has actually been a Z06 that went 10.9x on the stock tires in good air. Again, not that common, but any decent driver should get low-mid 11's.
^^^^^

This is the reality. Too bad if the (import) fanboyz don't like it, or cannot accept it!!
Old 12-23-2007, 02:35 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice car......ill enjoy smoking it
Could not have said it better myself. Something about smoking a high dollar Foreign car with old American iron that is very satisfying .

Now, if Ford and Chrysler would step it up the muscle car wars would be back on!!

Last edited by TT632; 12-23-2007 at 03:14 PM.
Old 12-23-2007, 02:38 PM
TECH Junkie

^ I know I'll have trouble with the slightly modified ones.
Old 12-23-2007, 02:45 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Hydramatic
...for the most part....

Most RWD cars are way more fun than most AWD cars...except the rally homologation and high-performance AWD setups.

Little compares to drifting an Evo or STi around a hairpin sideways, then gassing it and saving yourself at the last second. EXHILERATING. It's like a rollercoaster ride if you know how to drive one correctly!

To have fun with one of these cars, however, you've got to take some risks and drive ***** OUT. You've got to know how the inertia of your car acts whilst turning, countersteering, and leveling out again. You've got to know the limits of your grip or else you do what a lot of Evo and STi drivers end up doing, which is forcing the car into understeer and flying off the outside edge of the road.

Most of all, you've got to practice practice practice. No one will pick the correct technique up in a day, especially if they have no exposure to this kind of risky driving.

AWD's can be fun as hell, but like I said before, most don't have the right kind of setup to give you that thrilling ride...a Pontiac 6000 isn't going to handle like an Tommi Makinen Evolution in other words...
awd drifting is wild. i gotta hand it to those guys. they have quick reflexes. certainly something i'm incapable of.

you're absolutely right. when i post i say my preferences though. some people don't like brakestands and kicking cars sideways around turns. their preference is grip and whatever would hypothetically take them the fastest around a track. reminds me of my friend john who owned a VW that was slammed to the ground. he came to a local fbody meet and as we were leaving he goes, "man you V8 guys sure like burnouts." it says alot if you really think about.
Old 12-23-2007, 04:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well the Skyline AWD is on a whole different level from the EVO or STI. Its mainly RWD and everything else including torque split and when the power is sent forward is computer controlled.

And my other vehicle is a V8 AWD so I have some idea how AWD cars drive! I sincerely hope my first skirmish with a new EVO or the GTR is on dry pavement...otherwise....I am toast!
Old 12-23-2007, 04:51 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by RedBeauty84ZX

0-60 3.3
1/4 mile 11.6 @ over 120MPH

"quicker than the last Dodge Viper, Corvette Z06 and Porsche 911 Turbo we tested."

". Its 3.3-second 0-60-mph run and 11.6 at 120.9 mph performance make the GT-R the quickest car we've ever tested. "

" It's world-class fast and relatively cheap. And that's a hard combination to beat. "

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do....photopanel..1

LoL at people who were screaming for the independent tests SWEARING up and down that this car wouldnt live up to expectations...
I honestly doubt its faster then a new Viper. And on the track the Viper would probably kill it. Not to mention the Ford GT would eat it.
Old 12-23-2007, 04:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Also the Viper doesn't seem to have as severe of traction issues as the Z06, with 550 to the tire and a good driver it will match the GTR to 60, and will blow it off the road at higher speeds!
Old 12-23-2007, 05:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by caseypayne69
I honestly doubt its faster then a new Viper. And on the track the Viper would probably kill it. Not to mention the Ford GT would eat it.
What the heck are you smoking? It's evident you love american cars enough to believe that all other cars must all be inferior!?!

The GTR - as of now - is faster than the three cars you just mentioned...by a long shot. I don't understand when people post 0-60 times and 1/4 mile times why people assume...oh it's only good in a straight line!
The GTR as it stands is the fastest production car ever around the Nürburgring. The only production car that is faster than it was the $444,000 Carrera GT. And seeing that the Carrera GT program was canceled after only a year and a half and only 1,270 cars built, the car is more of a limited production car.

Nürburgring times of the cars mentioned:
Nissan GT-R = 7:38.5
Ford GT = 7:42.0
Corvette C6 Z06 = 7:42.9
Viper SRT10 = 7:59.0

If your telling me that the next viper, which only boast alittle more power than before but is practically the same drivetrain, chassis, and suspension is gonna make up OVER 20 seconds than I call
Old 12-23-2007, 05:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by qwikz28
awd drifting is wild. i gotta hand it to those guys. they have quick reflexes. certainly something i'm incapable of.

you're absolutely right. when i post i say my preferences though. some people don't like brakestands and kicking cars sideways around turns. their preference is grip and whatever would hypothetically take them the fastest around a track. reminds me of my friend john who owned a VW that was slammed to the ground. he came to a local fbody meet and as we were leaving he goes, "man you V8 guys sure like burnouts." it says alot if you really think about.
Don't get me wrong, I love RWD cars 100%! I love nothing better than a good burnout and some power sliding! Didn't mean to stomp on your toes there!

And just for the record, I loved doing burnouts in my old FWD Mercury Mystique too! I just had to find some slick ground or a hill first...
Old 12-23-2007, 06:02 PM
TECH Regular

You guys are underestimating how easy it is to make a stock turbo car much faster. I'm very curious to see how well these cars respond to mods.
Old 12-23-2007, 07:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Spoolin
What the heck are you smoking? It's evident you love american cars enough to believe that all other cars must all be inferior!?!

The GTR - as of now - is faster than the three cars you just mentioned...by a long shot. I don't understand when people post 0-60 times and 1/4 mile times why people assume...oh it's only good in a straight line!
The GTR as it stands is the fastest production car ever around the Nürburgring. The only production car that is faster than it was the $444,000 Carrera GT. And seeing that the Carrera GT program was canceled after only a year and a half and only 1,270 cars built, the car is more of a limited production car.

If your telling me that the next viper, which only boast alittle more power than before but is practically the same drivetrain, chassis, and suspension is gonna make up OVER 20 seconds than I call
When is 100 more hp to the ground just a little more power? And the 7:38 has never been officially verified. If you see the video they actually end at a point well before the start line. It is also well documented that the Z06 time was a pre production 06 car, you don't think the revised steering and much better rear stability from the new for 07 rear shocks will make it faster. Furthermore the GTR was alleged even by Nissan to have cut slicks.
Old 12-23-2007, 07:31 PM
TECH Resident

I can see it now the GTR is the new Supra! It will be the same group of arrogant rich guys filled with excuses on why they got stomped by an old Camaro or this time around a Transam. At least I won't have to listen to them brag about their mile per hour because their car can't ET. It will be fun.......for me.
Old 12-23-2007, 08:04 PM
TECH Regular

From what I've heard when the GTR went around the Nurburg it wasn't in the current production form. It might have had better tires then factory or some small mods. This is what i've heard at least.
Old 12-23-2007, 08:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The GTR - as of now - is faster than the three cars you just mentioned...by a long shot.
No proof until they are all tested same day, track, and driver.
I don't understand when people post 0-60 times and 1/4 mile times why people assume...oh it's only good in a straight line!
Wrong, the Zonda, Porsche GT2, and Radical (hardly a production car though) are all faster. To top things off, like mentioned above, there is no real *proof* that the GTR that ran 7:38 was the production spec.
SportAuto only managed 7:50 with the GTR BTW.

[/quote]
That was an '03 SRT10, down 100hp from the current one, running on runflat tires as well. The new one also has a better tranny, I would be surprised if it didnt break into the low 7:40s.
Also, that C6 Z06 was the '06 model, the '08 model has revised steering, and better rear shocks.
Old 12-23-2007, 08:08 PM
TECH Regular

Sounds like the New c6 Z06 and 08 Viper as well as the ZR1 need to head back to the track to whip its ***.

Both 08 Viper & c6 z06 as well as the ZR1 > GTR.

Viper has over 75 lbs more torq and weighs 500 lbs less. The z06 wells 700 lbs less. They will kill it on a road coarse.
Old 12-23-2007, 08:08 PM
On The Tree

He's diffidently not smoking what your smoking
The carrera GT is not the only production car that is faster then it,the Zonda which is the fastest in Nurburgring right now and the Konneigsegg aswell and a bunch of others so don't try to make seem like is one of the best.Also the Nissan has NEVER said the car is stock,even the guy presenting the car in the LA Auto Show(not sure which auto show) said it got a 7:38 NEAR production specs...Sorry but this car is not a 7:38 second car.

Trust me this viper will get a better times and they havn't taken it yet so don't say crap about it,the time you got is the old Srt-10 probably the convertible.

hahaha you really think is going to beat the ACR lol.

BTW I love the GTR(style,power,handling,price,etc) but I don't like the damn lies about the car.
Old 12-23-2007, 08:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

what are heck are you smoking? its evident you have something against american super cars, they are all inferior to imports right?
Old 12-23-2007, 08:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by germeezy1
When is 100 more hp to the ground just a little more power? And the 7:38 has never been officially verified. If you see the video they actually end at a point well before the start line. It is also well documented that the Z06 time was a pre production 06 car, you don't think the revised steering and much better rear stability from the new for 07 rear shocks will make it faster. Furthermore the GTR was alleged even by Nissan to have cut slicks.
New heads, intake, and exhaust manifold account for 100 more HP yes but track racing is more than just HP figures, that's what I was saying. And that being the case 100hp is not gonna make up 20+ seconds IMO but we'll find out soon enough.
I don't know what you mean by the times never being officially verified but Edmunds.com (a unbiased third party) was there to witness it and they verified it as well. Not to mention that lap was on a partially wet track.
As far as the Z06 I'm sure those improvements would make a difference but I'm not talking about what ifs, just what is. I can't back up better numbers if they aren't there to back up. There is no way in hell I would ever say that the Z06 is not a track car because it certainly is!!! If there is another road racing track that they have both done a time attack in stock trim that would be helpful but I don't know of one.
There's a lot to be said about bench racing, all the points I attempt to show are with what's been accomplished so far.

Quick Reply: First Independent Nissan GTR Test!