Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 08:21 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tougher Emissions Regulations Could Bring End to Muscle Cars, Says GM

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,317556,00.html

Tougher Emissions Regulations Could Bring End to Muscle Cars, Says GM

Thursday, December 20, 2007

DETROIT — When General Motors Corp. pulls the cover off a new supercharged version of the Corvette at the Detroit auto show next month, it will unveil a performance car designed to rival or better even the fastest, most expensive exotic cars from Europe.
But the Corvette's chief engineer says the 2009 Corvette ZR1 may be the last in a long tradition of Detroit performance cars, endangered by stronger federal fuel economy regulations and limits on carbon dioxide emissions.
"High-performance vehicles such as this may actually be legislated out of existence," Tadge Juechter said at a recent showing of the ZR1, which is designed to have around 620 horsepower.
President Bush on Wednesday signed into law legislation that will bring more fuel-efficient vehicles into auto showrooms and require wider use of ethanol, calling it "a major step" toward energy independence and easing global warming.
The legislation requires automakers to increase fuel efficiency by 40 percent to an industry average 35 miles per gallon by 2020.
But Juechter said to sell one of the Chevrolet supercars, GM would need to offset that with cars that get 45 mpg.
"It could really be an endangered species," he said.

Aaron Bragman, an auto analyst with the consulting firm Global Insight, said predicting the death of the muscle car might be premature.
The Corvette, he said, is fuel efficient when compared with its competitors. Although fuel economy figures weren't released for the ZR1, the current 505-horsepower Corvette ZO6 gets an estimated 15 mpg in the city and 24 on the highway, according to GM.
The ZR1, he said, gets around the same mileage as a Chevrolet pickup truck, and GM won't be getting out of the pickup business because of gas mileage standards.
"I think it's a little over-dramatization," Bragman said. "GM wants to sell big, high-performance, fun cars. And typically that's what Americans want to buy."
Performance cars of the future may be powered by smaller engines or electric motors, he said, but they won't die.
The ZR1 will have a top speed of more than 200 mph, driven by an all-new supercharged 6.2-liter V-8 engine. It has 19-inch front and 20-inch rear wheels and a suspension tuned to provide extraordinary cornering grip, GM said.
The car has a carbon-fiber hood, fenders and roof for weight savings, and its huge carbon-ceramic brake rotors give it great stopping power, the company said.
The ZR1 will cost around $100,000 and probably will go on sale next summer.

Old 12-20-2007, 08:26 AM
TECH Regular

They can figure out something to make fast cars still, with all the techonology available today. I'm so sick of rising fuel costs, and I don't trust anything GM says after watching that video about who killed the electric car. They had so many offers to buy the cars, and they still scrapped them. Why would you scrap something that your offered money on? I could see not making new one's is their choice but why junk something that someone offered to buy...?

I thought this new law meant they can even out the playing field and for one sports car they can have a ton of great gas efficient cars? Does the law state that all cars have to be 30+mpg or a certain ammount from each manufacturer? I thought they just said "industry average," not all cars.
Old 12-20-2007, 09:26 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,143 Likes on 743 Posts

In the grand scheme of things, increasing fuel economy is a good thing. One thing we'll see is lighter vehicles in the future. Some sports cars like the 911 series have actually gotten heavier with each successive release of a new one.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lighter means more money
Old 12-20-2007, 10:40 AM
Launching!

lighter means more money
Lighter means less safe and not as nice inside, more road noise , etc.
Old 12-20-2007, 12:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by z28evans
Lighter means less safe and not as nice inside, more road noise , etc.
Thats kind of what I was thinking.

If you do look back 20 years ago at the mileage a car the size of a LS1 got and than you look at what the LS1 gets now, I think they could make it work out. The easier flowing they make things, the easier it is on the engine and it doesn't have to work as hard for its power, thats basic I/E work there with a little bit of tuning.
Old 12-20-2007, 02:56 PM
Banned

Here we go again. Its 1973 all over. Well , you know what they say , " What goes around comes around " !
Old 12-20-2007, 05:52 PM
11 Second Club

I was under the impression ethanol powered vehicles burned more fuel than a comparable gas vehicle. Are the ethanol powered vehicles also required to average 35mpg? If so, wouldn't it seem as if the new CAFE standards are designed to continue our dependence on foreign oil? I can certainly understand why they would require more ethanol powered vehicles to be built, but those vehicles should not be subjected to the same mpg requirements as the gas vehicles. I would love to see a high-compression, ethanol powered 6th gen Camaro from the factory. Hopefully by 2020 ethanol will be more readily available...unless CAFE pushes it out of the picture.
Old 12-21-2007, 09:11 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,143 Likes on 743 Posts

I wouldn't be surprised if the new Camaro was flex-fuel.
Old 12-21-2007, 10:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

What we need to really do is buy up all the other countries oil, than we can play these same bs games, than they can be dependant on our foreign oil and we can play these bs games.
Old 12-21-2007, 11:11 AM
TECH Junkie

E85 is a joke, but...

Lighter means better handling and better acceleration. And, spending less money on oil as a nation is not a bad idea. Keeps money from Ackmed the Dead Terrorist's, Hugo Chavez, Putin, Iran, and many other not so friendly areas. Though we do not buy from all the above mentioned areas...if we quit buying so much it will decrease demand and thus the prices the above mentioned ppl can charge, unless we really have hit the top of the energy bell-curve--which I am inclined to believe.

W
Old 12-21-2007, 11:48 AM
Banned

Yeah thats what I was thinking. Let everybody else trade in their gas guzzler's & buy a bunch of Toyota Preius or what ever . That will cause the price of gas to drop & we can keep on truckin .
Old 12-21-2007, 12:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bad2000z
I was under the impression ethanol powered vehicles burned more fuel than a comparable gas vehicle. Are the ethanol powered vehicles also required to average 35mpg? If so, wouldn't it seem as if the new CAFE standards are designed to continue our dependence on foreign oil? I can certainly understand why they would require more ethanol powered vehicles to be built, but those vehicles should not be subjected to the same mpg requirements as the gas vehicles. I would love to see a high-compression, ethanol powered 6th gen Camaro from the factory. Hopefully by 2020 ethanol will be more readily available...unless CAFE pushes it out of the picture.
They do burn more as ethanol contains less BTU's than gasoline, however it burns much cleaner so I think they should be exempt from these "emissions" laws... but these "emmisions" laws are another story.
Old 12-21-2007, 10:10 PM
TECH Regular

I personally get irritated with the popularity of reducing car pollutants. I am for it considering the worsening state of the planet, but one country isn't going to do a whole lot. Also, what about cracking down on gross polluters such as big rigs. They serve a good purpose but compared to our cars, wtf? I know there are changes such as natural gas vehicles and such, all I am saying is that there are other areas that aren't getting as much attention as they perhaps should. Yeah, I hate going outside in the summer and seeing a brownish hase everywhere, but global warming and smog as a whole are not a result from just the average joe driving back and forth from work. But it's portrayed almost as if it is. Irritating.
Old 12-22-2007, 01:53 AM
TECH Junkie

Reducing car pollutants is going to do zero good. There are nearly 3 billion peeps in Asia that are going to be running vehicles that will pollute so egregiously it will not be funny. And last time I checked 3 billion ppl makes them have 10 times the population of the US. As the PRC and India become super powers and their economies grow over the next two decades the number of cars they have on their roads will make us look like Switzerland.

Not only that but only .01 of all oil use in the world is for motor cars. In our country the percentage is .25, so instead of only economizing vehicles maybe we should work in the areas that consume more...such as electricity production. Such technology could be exported to other states, that may not have as many motor vehicles.

W

Quick Reply: Tougher Emissions Regulations Could Bring End to Muscle Cars, Says GM